Ruger MK III .22 autoloading pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ammo.crafter

Bearcat
My gunsmith just advised that the barrel on my MK III is very slightly off center.

Has anyone experienced this problem and how was it handled.
Thanks.

ammo.crafter

Bearcat
Yes the upper assembly has been off and unable to return to normal.

That's when it went to the smith who found the problem.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
ammo.crafter said:
Yes the upper assembly has been off and unable to return to normal.

That's when it went to the smith who found the problem.

Assuming the upper fit to the lower (grip frame) was correct before the upper was taken off, it appears that rotational alignment may be the issue. To make reassembly much easier, I like to place a dollop of anti-seize compound on the tab in the grip frame and then the recepticle for that tab in the receiver. Install the upper onto the grip frame and get it pushed back as far as you can to get a visual alignment of the receiver and grip frame holes. Then install your mainspring housing assembly from the top of the receiver, like so:

The bolt stop pin should go through the holes involved and create an alignment that will then allow the bolt stop pin to come in and then up and through the receiver. This might take some wiggling and tapping with a plastic faced hammer, but it always works for me.

NOTE: Although the picture shows the mainspring housing assembly in line with the bore, that was done just for the picture. It's better to rotate the mainspring housing assembly 90° to prevent any marring of the top of the receiver.

yep, when they are "new", or never "off" the gun,, the first time back on they can ,may 'tilt, cant', slightly "off center" so to say and as' D A Wood' shows above, good trick , and way to make sure things are "aligned" to re-install; have seen this in older ones from time to time, standards, MarkI and MK Il s, again, if they were never apart,ever.................