Ruger Mark II 1983 questions????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Walz

Bearcat
I'm looking for questions about my Ruger Mark II, it was my father-in-laws, passed down to me.

The firearm was in storage, and I just got around to doing a complete disassembly. From what I have found, it really needed a good cleaning, the blued finish needed cleaning, and now I'm finished with it.

Question: Do I have a bull barrel? I measured 6 7/8" would that be correct?

INFORMATION:

Year: 1983
Make: Ruger
Model: Mark II Target
Caliber: .22
Serial number: 18-6XXXX
Barrel:
Catalog number:
Finish: Blued
Magazine: 10 round

Thanks for any information. :D

mcb66

Bearcat
Looks to me like you have a 6 7/8" barrel MKII target. No loaded chamber indicator. A desirable model. Not bull barrel. I don't think they currently make this in MKIII.

that is called a "tapered" barrel, narrows down towards the muzzle, both the T678 ( 6 and 7/8I) as well as the T514 ( 5 and 1/4") have 'tapered" barrels, and with the "18" prefix, is the first issue of the Mark II's, NICE gun

Walz

Bearcat
Thanks for the information, that helps me a lot, it's a great firearm. I appreciate the response.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Walz said:
I'm looking for questions about my Ruger Mark II, it was my father-in-laws, passed down to me.

The firearm was in storage, and I just got around to doing a complete disassembly. From what I have found, it really needed a good cleaning, the blued finish needed cleaning, and now I'm finished with it.

INFORMATION:

Barrel:
Catalog number:

Actually you have the 6-7/8 ths "HEAVY Tapered Target" version of the Ruger Mark II. A very nice, and desireable, version. Looks like you did a fine job cleaning it up. Those models are normally really good shooters.

Walz

Bearcat
D A Wood said:
Walz said:

INFORMATION:

Barrel:
Catalog number:

Actually you have the 6-7/8 ths "HEAVY Tapered Target" version of the Ruger Mark II. A very nice, and desireable, version. Looks like you did a fine job cleaning it up. Those models are normally really good shooters.

I'm a gunsmith, and I'm always cleaning firearms, making them look real good for my customers.

Walz

Bearcat

The rust was not all that bad, I was able to remove all of it. I got some oil and slicked it up.

yes, you cleaned it up very nice, and as to the barrel, it was only designated as "tapered" (T678) yes, we know the "T" stands for "target", they did not use the word HEAVY in the catalog numbering in their ads or description, yes, obviously it is "heavier" than the standard barrels which were the 4 3/54 and the 6 in, as Colts ? High Standards? or others called them "pencil" barrels thinner, more streamlined......so back to the catalogs, it is either "standard", "tapered" or
"bull" barrels.....other descriptions are left up to the 'writers" 8) :roll: :wink:

Walz

Bearcat
Thanks for all of the information, this has been great. Everyone has been super here. I'd wish I had gotten to this sooner, however I have 40 firearms and I'm still servicing them. My father-in-laws firearms are needed attention the most.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Ummm, the T678 was involved with the Ruger Mark I pistols. The Mark II, as pictured above is the model MK678 according to Mr. Hiddleson's book. And, I believe he is a writer. :lol:

Walz

Bearcat
D A Wood said:
Ummm, the T678 was involved with the Ruger Mark I pistols. The Mark II, as pictured above is the model MK678 according to Mr. Hiddleson's book. And, I believe he is a writer. :lol:

Your correct, I just didn't want to rock the boat. :shock:

:roll: I know it's probably not the best thing changing the grips, however I have the original grips in the pistol box so it will be safe. I always liked the wooden grips on firearms, plastic always turned me off.

dingode

Single-Sixer
For well under $200 Ruger will reblue it to look like new. They did an awesome job on an old beat up MKI I sent them. They were able to get rid of dings and scratches and went completely through the pistol. I think pretty much every spring and pin was replaced.

Walz

Bearcat
dingode said:
For well under $200 Ruger will reblue it to look like new. They did an awesome job on an old beat up MKI I sent them. They were able to get rid of dings and scratches and went completely through the pistol. I think pretty much every spring and pin was replaced.

Thanks, mine is good as I want, I gone through everything inside, outside, so it is flawless in regards to mechanical, and the finish has been cleaned and oiled.

I don't have any real safe queens, I try and take them out to the range, and I have my shooting barrel for my gunsmith business.

yes, I posted "T" instead of using the MK II and its designation as the "MK", BUT my point was and is, according to Ruger, as well as Chads writings, the descriptions of the barrels themselves are still "standard, tapered or bull barrel...." later on they even added "slabside" for their first "Government Competition " models"...............
yes, we mainly stay with the older "standards and Mark I's" seldom get into any of the "newer" stuff,and the Mark IIIs we avoid...........

Walz

Bearcat
rugerguy said:
yes, I posted "T" instead of using the MK II and its designation as the "MK", BUT my point was and is, according to Ruger, as well as Chads writings, the descriptions of the barrels themselves are still "standard, tapered or bull barrel...." later on they even added "slabside" for their first "Government Competition " models"...............
yes, we mainly stay with the older "standards and Mark I's" seldom get into any of the "newer" stuff,and the Mark IIIs we avoid...........

:D I'm quite pleased with all of the information about the Ruger Mark II that everyone has posted.

I really like the Ruger Mark II, it is a great firearm, simply to work on, simple to use. It was a great passing gift from my father in law.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
The Rugers themselves referred to this configuration of 6-7/8 and 5-1/4 inch as "tapered bull" barrels, with the MK II 5-1/4 a favorite.
David Bradshaw