ruger sr9c going full auto

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sandman228

Single-Sixer
ok last 2 range trips ive had this prob . I was trying out some new load data the other day ,the sr9c went full auto on my for about 4 shots . I put another mag in shot a few then it did it again for 2 or 3 shots . so when I got it home I took it down cleaned the hell out of everything ,removed striker from slide cleaned the striker and channel and put it all back together . today I took it to range again shot 50 rounds of 120 gr truncated cone bullet over a mild charge of 231 it was fine then shot 40 rounds same bullet over I light charge of 700 x it was fine so I loaded the last 10 rounds in the mag it went full auto for 2 rounds twice . gun is all stock except for a Galloway striker spring which I installed a couple years ago cause I was having probs with light strikes. could the heavier striker spring be causing this ? and if so why now out of the blue after several hundred rounds over a couple years time with no issues ?

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The stronger spring may be keeping the striker from retracting fully and remaining "cocked" as the action cycles. If it stays forward it could cause a "slam fire".

Tinmania

Bearcat
On a related note I often see the striker protruding on my SR9C, with the slide locked (usually after reassembly if I remember correctly). I have always racked the slide again, pulling the trigger (mag in but no round chambered) and it corrects it.

But could this cause a slam fire? All stock, btw.

Mike

Mike J

Hunter
Tinmania I believe what you are seeing sticking out is the striker indicator. It lets you know the striker is cocked. When you dry fire it is no longer cocked.

revhigh

Hawkeye
sandman228 said:
could the heavier striker spring be causing this ? and if so why now out of the blue after several hundred rounds over a couple years time with no issues ?

Swap it back and try it.

REV

Tinmania

Bearcat
Mike J said:
Tinmania I believe what you are seeing sticking out is the striker indicator. It lets you know the striker is cocked. When you dry fire it is no longer cocked.
Thanks Mike and yes I am aware of that indicator. But what I am referring to is the other end... the business end. I just want to be sure there is no chance of it slamming into a live round.

Mike

Mike J

Hunter
Tinmania said:
Mike J said:
Thanks Mike and yes I am aware of that indicator. But what I am referring to is the other end... the business end. I just want to be sure there is no chance of it slamming into a live round.

Mike

Sorry read that wrong.

Latest posts