2 Dozen FTF With Winchester White Box!?!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

seniorxj

Bearcat
I have over 1100 rounds thru my Ruger SR9 & I've ran 5 or so brands from the cheapest to decent & not a single problem. Bought a 100 round box of Winchester white box ammo for the 1st time & were talking 2 dozen FTF with 9 taking a 2nd strike, 4 taking 3 strikes, 3 taking 4 strikes, & the range master grabbed 4 of them, (not sure what he used), but all 4 went down range & rapidly!

First thought, light strike issue, but with a clean gun & over 1100 rounds thru it? Second thought, my SR9 doesn't like Winchester White box ammo, Period! I asked several people if this was myth or truth & everyone has had particular issues with specific brands & most explaining that its probably the type of primers used. The weirdest part, a quick field strip & its the cleanest I've ever seen after 100 rounds down range. Hell, even most the grease was still red in color!!

So is this myth, is it truth, or should I go grab ammo that I've used before without flaw & run em thru her as a deciding factor? (I'm just so disappointed right now)... :( :(

websterz

Single-Sixer
I had light strikes with my SR9 until I polished the striker body and channel. A little elbow grease and Mother's Mag Polish had it shining like a mirror and no more problems.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
removed mag disconnect and all lite strikes vanished for me. never returned. thousands later and pistol runs perfectly. this has worked on two other SR9's that I gifted to two family members. I do not like that "safety" feature anyway. it is to me counterproductive. I do not wish to have any feature that turns my loaded weapon into a rock. accidently bumped the mag release once, mag was in but not latched. thank God I didn't need it and discovered the issue.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
pjvrefugee said:
removed mag disconnect and all lite strikes vanished for me. never returned. thousands later and pistol runs perfectly. this has worked on two other SR9's that I gifted to two family members. I do not like that "safety" feature anyway. it is to me counterproductive. I do not wish to have any feature that turns my loaded weapon into a rock. accidently bumped the mag release once, mag was in but not latched. thank God I didn't need it and discovered the issue.

I've done that with all my semi-autos that had one (2 Rugers and a Sig). Easy to do and avoids future complications at inopportune times. Unfortunately, there are also some revolvers that have similar "safety" features that aren't quite so easy to disable. I don't have such a lawyered up 6 gun, and have no intention to buy one either.

That said, I don't see the issue going away, and in fact it will probably get worse if the anti's get their way (so called "smart guns" are one example). :roll:

But oddly enough Ruger came out with the LC9s pro. Goes totally against the 'everything is getting lawyered up' theory. Not only no safety, but no mag. disconnect and on top of that a light and easy trigger pull.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Although WWB is garbage ... Especially from an accuracy POV ... It usually goes BANG in any gun. Obviously ... I'd try other proven ammo and see if the problem persists ... If it does ... It's the gun. If it doesn't ... It's the ammo.

Not really that hard to debug this issue.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
seniorxj said:
I have over 1100 rounds thru my Ruger SR9 & I've ran 5 or so brands from the cheapest to decent & not a single problem. Bought a 100 round box of Winchester white box ammo for the 1st time & were talking 2 dozen FTF with 9 taking a 2nd strike, 4 taking 3 strikes, 3 taking 4 strikes, & the range master grabbed 4 of them, (not sure what he used), but all 4 went down range & rapidly!

First thought, light strike issue, but with a clean gun & over 1100 rounds thru it? Second thought, my SR9 doesn't like Winchester White box ammo, Period! I asked several people if this was myth or truth & everyone has had particular issues with specific brands & most explaining that its probably the type of primers used. The weirdest part, a quick field strip & its the cleanest I've ever seen after 100 rounds down range. Hell, even most the grease was still red in color!!

So is this myth, is it truth, or should I go grab ammo that I've used before without flaw & run em thru her as a deciding factor? (I'm just so disappointed right now)... :( :(

I'd clean the GREASE out of that gun, oil it properly, and try it again.

REV

seniorxj

Bearcat
Some more info:
The gun was detail stripped & clean after the first 100 rounds.
Mag safety was removed.
Every upgrade from Galloway precision is in it.
Everything that can or should be polished has been done.
I only grease the slide & barrel with Slide Glide.
I clean her every time before shooting a never used brand.
The striker body gets 1 drop of oil, rubbed in & wiped off leaving only a thin layer. I don't oil the striker spring inside.
All polishing including the stainless striker & striker body was done by me & everything was documented.
I took pics of all the work done above & can compare them to the striker now & there's no damage at all.

For reference, these 2 threads below were very helpful guides & I did most of what said in them:
RugerForum.com ? View topic - SR9 How-To (Multiple Inside) - Video Links Removed
RugerForum.com ? View topic - SR9/SR9c/SR40 Modifications and Accessories

I'm gonna go buy another 100 rounds of a brand I've used before & put em all down range as fast as the range will allow. With 6 mags holding 17 a pop, i'll be able to send another 100 rounds down range with 2 to spare. I've done this torture test before with great success. I may take a pause mid way, but either or, i'll find out if its my gun or the ammo!!

Although not considered premium ammo, WWB works in any gun I own that will fire any other ammo. If it's the only cartridge your gun will not shoot, assuming this ammo fires in other guns, I'd suspect you have an extremely borderline primer strike, and the (possibly) harder primer on the WWB ammo, or a minuscule difference in primer seating depth, or even brass at the shortest acceptable length but within tolerance but still affecting headspacing, could be any of the straws that would break the camels back, so to speak.

And for the record, I've bought ammo in different calibers, from different manufacturers, that there was an issue with a specific batch of ammo.

Now I've also gotta ask... Did you ever try WWB ammo before you installed all the improvements?

WAYNO.

seniorxj

Bearcat
First time trying WWB & the gun was freshly cleaned & lubed up. It was also very clean shooting ammo!

revhigh

Hawkeye
How did the gun perform BEFORE you 'improved' it and made it 'better' ? :D

REV

seniorxj

Bearcat
revhigh said:

REV

It still shot fine, but it was a night & day difference in handling the gun. TRX Sights, a 4.5lb trigger, grip tape, etc. I was a better shot automatically, but the guns reliability was the same.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
seniorxj said:
It still shot fine, but it was a night & day difference in handling the gun. TRX Sights, a 4.5lb trigger, grip tape, etc. I was a better shot automatically, but the guns reliability was the same.

Hi,

Slow down, you're talking faster'n I can listen! Did I miss the part where the gun misfired with WWB BEFORE all the "improvements" just like it did afterward? Cuz if read it right, it sounds like the problem didn't happen until afterward...

In which case, my old gunsmith boss' words, quite similar in concept to what REV mentioned, come to mind:

"First, let's get the gun working the way Ruger intended (one of the more subtle of his many digs at Ruger's QC.) THEN, if you still think you need to 'improve' it, we will." He wasn't big on folks who wanted to start changing things before they'd ever wrung a gun out, and often made that abundantly clear! A lot of people complained about his bedside manner, but hardly anyone ever said a bad word about his work.

Rick C

seniorxj

Bearcat
I'm calm, just trying to answer direct but still give all the info to avoid any confusion.

My Ruger SR9 has NeveR had a single miss fire in 1100 rounds. I have never used WWB ever, so this was the FirsT time shooting WWB ammo. Also, it was closer to a dozen ftf rounds rather than 2 dozen.
Better?

revhigh

Hawkeye
seniorxj said:
revhigh said:

REV

From your description ... I'd say it's reliability since its been 'improved' is pretty crappy ... Wouldn't you ?

REV

seniorxj

Bearcat
revhigh said:
seniorxj said:
revhigh said:

REV

From your description ... I'd say it's reliability since its been 'improved' is pretty crappy ... Wouldn't you ?

REV

To answer your question while biting my tongue:

No way, No how, Not one bit!! Never a single hick up in 1100 rounds down range!!! All mods, & i use that word lightly were done a LONG time ago. Sights, lighter triggers, grip tape, etc, are all normal to do & people mod there guns to there liking.

seniorxj

Bearcat
The jury is out. Picked up 2 boxes of Perfecta ammo from Walmart which I've use before. I sent 100 rounds down range as fast as the indoor range will allow. Not a single ftf, or the slightest hiccup!!

Latest posts