P Series Day at the Range

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
As I was reading a thread regarding the P345 the other day, it reminded me that I hadn't had a "Ruger Only" day at the range in quite some time (especially with my P95 & P345) :eek:

Accordingly, as I prepared to hit the range this morning I purged my range bag of anything that didn't have Ruger stamped on the side. While I shot a little MKIII and SR1911, I spent most of the time reminding myself what I loved about the P-Series.

While they are not the prettiest pistols on the planet, and can't quite compete with my CZs, Hi-Power or 1911s in terms of trigger or accuracy, there is just something I really like about them. Accordingly, I doubt that I will ever sell them :D.

bc8ecd3c-f722-40e1-b8e6-cb4f6c8972be_zpscjydmxux.jpg

194ecb00-e4a5-4365-9dd4-a966169638f9_zpsgzprry9k.jpg

roylt

Hunter
Always good to see the P-gun out and posted about. Keep the P-guns alive!!

Is the hogue sleeve on the 345 upside down? Looks a bit close to the mag release.

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
roylt said:
Always good to see the P-gun out and posted about. Keep the P-guns alive!!

Is the hogue sleeve on the 345 upside down? Looks a bit close to the mag release.

roylt ... You've got a great eye for detail :lol:. I've had that Hogue grip on the P345 for about 6 years and it never occured to me that it might be installed upside down :oops: . I flipped it over and it indeed does fit better :lol:

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
Thanks WendyZXZ. While certainly not target pistols, I've found that my P Series pistols are consistently capable of producing freehand groups in the sub 2" range at 10 yards.

roylt

Hunter
So now you'll have to make another range trip to see how she runs.

tercel89

Single-Sixer
Awesome to see good and positive things about these old workhorses. I am a Glock kinda guy but I cant seem to let go of my P-series . They run and run and run . Kinda like the A-10 Warthog of pistols.

Mike J

Hunter
Good guns. I seldom shoot my old .40 caliber P94 any more as there are other things I shoot & carry now. It still works just fine though & is accurate enough.

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
tercel89 said:
Awesome to see good and positive things about these old workhorses. I am a Glock kinda guy but I cant seem to let go of my P-series . They run and run and run . Kinda like the A-10 Warthog of pistols.
T89 ... I've now put over 15,000 rounds through the P95 without a single failure of any kind (only pistol in my collection that I can say that about), and over 4,500 rounds through the P345 with only 2 fail to feeds during the 1st 50 rounds. They are indeed dependable old workhorses :wink:

Mike J said:
Good guns. I seldom shoot my old .40 caliber P94 any more as there are other things I shoot & carry now. It still works just fine though & is accurate enough.
Time changes many things. The P95 was my initial carry gun in 2004 and then I changed to the P345 in 2006. Although neither has spent any significant time in my holster since 2008 when I started carrying my SS Springfield 1911 Micro-compact, I do carry each from time to time just for old time sake :)

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:
If I could shoot that good with any semi-auto pistol other than a 22 at 30 yards I'd be bragging like crazy. Well actually, that good with a 22 target too.

blume357 ... If the target above was at 30 yards it would indeed be worth bragging about (I can't even see that little 3/4" shoot-n-c dot at 30 yards) :lol:. Alas however ... it is only at 10 yards (30 feet) :( .

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:
oops... seems my math is off... still at 30 ft I think that is pretty dern good.
What I do with my 9mm p's is try to hit minute of head at about 15ft with out using the sights.

No harm blume :). I also practice a significant amount of point shooting off the draw and/or from "low ready" in the 15 - 25 feet range with my carry pistols (not with the P's however).

262runner

Bearcat
My P95 was fine when I bought it 10 years ago. Now it is not a reliable gun. FTE 19 out of 20 times, double feed 1 out of 5 times (FTE makes sense) I had the extractor replaced by Ruger, no help. I'm very disappointed.

MrZ

Bearcat
I have not shot my P95 in a very long time. Now you have me wanting to get it out there and run some rounds through it :)

roylt

Hunter
262runner said:
My P95 was fine when I bought it 10 years ago. Now it is not a reliable gun. FTE 19 out of 20 times, double feed 1 out of 5 times (FTE makes sense) I had the extractor replaced by Ruger, no help. I'm very disappointed.

Sounds to me like the slide may not be moving as it should. Limp wristing. Like the slide doesn't go back far enough to grab or eject the case/rounds as it needs.

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
BuckJM53 said:
tercel89 said:
T89 ... I've now put over 15,000 rounds through the P95 without a single failure of any kind (only pistol in my collection that I can say that about), and over 3,000 rounds through the P345 with only 2 fail to feeds during the 1st 50 rounds. They are indeed dependable old workhorses :wink:

Mike J said:
Time changes many things. The P95 was my initial carry gun in 2004 and then I changed to the P345 in 2006. Although neither has spent any significant time in my holster since 2008 when I started carrying my SS Springfield 1911 Micro-compact, I do carry each from time to time just for old time sake :)

P345 is still my carry Gun, it just works.............................

Latest posts