Y'all Can Bash Me Now - Ordered a Taurus

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mike J

Hunter
So I have been seeing these PT 111 G2's for sale online for $199.99 for months. I have been wanting better warm weather carry piece for a while. I have been using an old Kel-Tec P-11. The Kel-Tec works but definitely isn't the nicest. The Taurus is similar in size to a Glock 26 only maybe a little slimmer with a slightly longer grip. The slide looks melted & the polymer frame has a textured grip. It holds 12 + 1 of 9mm. I handled one at a local gun shop. I'm definitely not in love with the trigger but coming from a P-11 I imagine I'll be fine. I should have it in a day or two & I'll post back how it does.

kwh

Bearcat
No bash here. I also vowed never to buy a Taurus. I did on recommendation from Local gun store for what I was looking for: Small, not too small, with safety,& double stack that fit my small hands. The S&W M&P C with safety was out because I would inadvertently hit the thumb safety to ON position while firing, Ruger SR9C a little too large. I paid more than you did. I am not disappointed. Great reviews by Hitchcock 45 and The Truth About Guns. IMHO the best deal out there. Shoots a little to the left even with sights adjusted,or maybe it is me. The trigger suits me fine,but I am used to the Kahr triggers and double action triggers. Looking forward to your review.

Jim Puke

Hunter
NO BASH...but I will laugh at you. I have been there and done...NEVER again.

Ga Cracker...member here, just got one back, for the second time, and it is still not fixed.

Good luck.

tuna

Bearcat
No bash here. I went with the lc9 for summer carry only because I can't get Tauri in mass.
I at least trust ruger. S&W, on the other hand... Never again.

Mike J

Hunter
I should know how I like it soon. It was delivered at the FFL today. I'm going to go try to pick it up tomorrow after work. It is a nice size & I like the double stack capacity. Funny thing is before I looked at one of these I nosed around the local gun shop. They had Sig P 220's for $400 (LEO trade ins with cosmetic issues), H&K USP 40's for $350 (also LEO trade ins) and some other interesting stuff. To be honest I have enough service pistol sized guns for the moment. I wanted to find an inexpensive warm weather carry piece. I was actually more tempted to stray from my plan by an old Marlin .30-.30 with a gold trigger than anything else. Of course it wouldn't do anything my .30-06 wouldn't but a levergun needs to be on the list.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
roylt said:
Lc9s for $ 299.00 but to each their own.

Hi,

Well, since neither this Taurus nor any Ruger pistol is approved for sale in CA, I really don't have a dog in this fight. But if I were in the market and both were available, some of my considerations would run like this:

One can pay the Taurus price, and get what's reputed to be "Taurus quality." Or one can pay the Ruger price, and if all the comments here and elsewhere mean anything, quite likely get that same "Taurus quality", too. I've never had a Taurus, but after years of reading glowing reviews of both makers' products in the magazines and equally scathing ones in the forums, something tells me there's not THAT much difference between them.

With the Taurus, you get this: http://www.taurususa.com/repair-policy.cfm Maybe it's worth something, maybe not. But at least they were confident enough to put it in writing.

With the Ruger there's nothing in writing that looks, smells, tastes or feels like a "warranty." But, one does get a reputation for "great customer service", whatever that entails! Maybe that inspires confidence in some. Maybe not.

Heads or tails? Either way it's a crapshoot...

Back to real life, only Mike J's experience counts for the gun he's buying, so I'm gonna wait for his shoot report(s)! :)

Rick C

Mike J

Hunter
Rick Courtright said:
Back to real life, only Mike J's experience counts for the gun he's buying, so I'm gonna wait for his shoot report(s)! :)

Rick C

I picked it up this afternoon. I'll try to report back soon. I may have to go to an indoor range. I was shooting on the land the church we were attending owned but we have changed churches. My sister-in-law has a place I can shoot but I have to go beat the brush back first. I'll try to hack back the saw briar or go to an indoor range & pay within the next few days.

buckeyedave

Bearcat
I bought one also. $207 + free shipping. Out of 3 range trips and 50 rounds each time I have an issue with one round not firing each time. Maybe the slide isn;t going all the way closed. Ejection is ok and chambering seems ok just wont go boom. Lots of ideas from another forum but one more issue and there will be a call to Taurus.

The gun really feels good in my hand and shoots well.

tuna

Bearcat
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
tuna said:
No bash here. I went with the lc9 for summer carry only because I can't get Tauri in mass.
I at least trust ruger. S&W, on the other hand... Never again.

What happened with S&W?

Besides the hated lock on their revolvers...I bought a bodyguard380 a few years back. Tried to get it at the S&W store since I'm local, after 3 visits, they finally had one, and said I needed to have put a deposit down. Of course they didn't tell me this on the earlier trips. Bought elsewhere, and the gun broke. Filled out the form online, packaged up the gun with the broke firing pin taped to the slide and fedexed it in (not happy about losing time to FedEx when I could drive 30 minutes to drop off). Got a call from a d-bag claiming he didn't know what was wrong since I didn't attach a letter. I asked if he saw the broken firing pin, because that was what was wrong...just like my online form said.
In short, I find their personnel at the store, customer service and the repair center to be rude and unhelpful.
And the gun sucked. But I'm more upset by the people. I'm done, in fact, I traded my chiefs special for my lc9s.

rjwinz

Bearcat
Back in the 90's I bought Taurus' little titanium .38 snubnose. Great little gun but not fun to shoot with +P ammo. Gave it to my wife for a carry gun. She hasn't shot me with it....yet.

Mike J

Hunter
rjwinz said:
Back in the 90's I bought Taurus' little titanium .38 snubnose. Great little gun but not fun to shoot with +P ammo. Gave it to my wife for a carry gun. She hasn't shot me with it....yet.

Prior to this the only Taurus in the house was a little model 85 .38 special with a 2" barrel. My wife had it when we got married. She had never shot it though. We remedied that. It is fine. I am about to spend some more time with her on shooting though as she just applied for her Georgia Weapons License. I'm probably going to let her shoot some & then see if we can find a class she would like to take.

Mike J

Hunter
Range Report: So I went to the indoor range today with it. I fired 50 rounds of Blazer Brass 115 grain fmj, 50 rounds of cheapo 124 grain Monarch JHP, & 10 rounds of Reminton HTP 115 grain JHP. It did fine with nary a bobble. I didn't really try to push it hard run drills etc. as the indoor range has more rules but I believe it is fine. Now I just have to dig around & find a holster I like. The holster options seem to be a bit sparse. I looked at Academy & the indoor range & couldn't find anything. I may just order something from online.

I will push it harder in the future. I did tend to shoot low & left with it. I may adjust the sights later but it is good enough for right now. Accuracy was okay but not the best I have ever seen. I think I need to spend some more time getting used to the trigger. I do prefer it to the Kel-Tec that it will pretty much replace.

kwh

Bearcat
I have found that the S&W M&P holsters are a good fit for the Millenium G2. Working with trigger finger position and trigger control,I am no longer shooting low and left. Certainly no argument with other's experiences with Taurus and I think Ruger has the best customer service of all. But the G2 Taurus seems to be a huge improvement over the G1. Goes bang every time. Accuracy not as good as my Kahr,but then again nothing else I shoot is as good for me. External slide mill work is refined, frame even has indentations for trigger finger rest. Feed ramp however was not highly polished, but does not affect function.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
"Y'all Can Bash Me Now", You big dummy.

I'm kidding, really, I'm kidding. My little experience with Taurus products is a spotty one. I have never owned one but have shot several and and probably a few more and have tried to help some that had issues with theirs.

The G1 PT111 had quite a few issues as I remember and I can see people that would trash it for that, a friend of a friend bought one some years ago and it really had some problems.

I actually know an Brazilian engineer that worked for them not long ago, he now works for Mann-Brazil (automotive). He said he had a blast working there and they always worked on new designs and upgrades for existing ones. He did admit some things got pushed through as the gun business is a latest and greatest industry much like the auto industry. They do come up with some good looking designs like the PT 809 full size.

I hope you enjoy your new toy and that it works well and that it can always be looked at with confidence.

Mike J

Hunter
I actually like the way the slide is machined Cheese. It is as if it is melted. I don't think it is as refined as some other guns I own but it seems to be fine. We will see. Like I posted my wife is wanting to start carrying & all she has as of now is a five shot .38. If she wants to stick with it fine but if she likes the Taurus it may become hers. I may get another. For $200 I can't complain.

Latest posts