Mystery engraving on old Mark I .22 target

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gopguy

Bearcat
Hi gang, first post from a long time lurker.

A friend recently asked me to help identify some unusual Ruger's he has. His Father was a long time Ruger Collector but has now passed away. Though the model numbers are obvious this one with an odd engraving I am still trying to figure out. It's a Sturm Ruger Mark I, .22lr in stainless steel. On the top is an engraving of what appears to be a hornet holding a rifle. The letters B-B -090. The engraving is the mystery, anyone have an idea? Thanks.

oscuhj.jpg

149mw0k.jpg

roylt

Hunter
No idea really but it reminds me of an old military patch. My Dad had a drawing for his unit in Korea. Not like this but reminds me of something like that. Was his dad in the military?

gopguy

Bearcat
It reminded me of the Seabees a bit too, but its not that and his dad was not in the military. A farmer all his life. It may well be a military reunion or presentation gun he got second hand. But those are just guesses.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e9/USN-Seabees-Insignia.svg/2000px-USN-Seabees-Insignia.svg.png

that is a Bumble Bee , was a gun shop over here in Ohio and they made these special for Ruger collectors years, the mans name was Neal Bennet, an early RCA guy............
I don;t think it is stainless but an Armoloy or Metalife SS finish ( chromium) on a Mark I.............
the only stainless Mark I or standard was the Bill Ruger Signature in 1981/82 when the MK IIs came out.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
rugerguy said:
that is a Bumble Bee , was a gun shop over here in Ohio and they made these special for Ruger collectors years, the mans name was Neal Bennet, an early RCA guy............
I don;t think it is stainless but an Armoloy or Metalife SS finish ( chromium) on a Mark I.............
the only stainless Mark I or standard was the Bill Ruger Signature in 1981/82 when the MK IIs came out.

Forums like this are great. Google can only do so much, and when you have a really obscure question sometimes going back to the human element is your best source of info.

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
I have been looking for information on Mr Bennett and busy bee gun shop. The gun pictured is the third one I have seen. The grips however are wrong on this one. Bennett did some belt buckles as well. I also know that he was the middle man for all the handling of the RCA guns.

Latest posts