RUGER SR9 SLIDE LOCK ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lonewolf5347

Single-Sixer
question?
Ruger sr 9 slide lock
when you install a new mag to reload can you use the side lock to send the slide into battery or do you have to sling shot the side

Trucker

Single-Sixer
lonewolf5347 said:
question?
Ruger sr 9 slide lock
when you install a new mag to reload can you use the side lock to send the slide into battery or do you have to sling shot the side

Some do. My choice is to sling shot it.

websterz

Single-Sixer
Some say that using it as a slide release will cause premature wear and can lead to the slide not locking open on the last round. I prefer to err on the side of caution and slingshot.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I suppose it would wear eventually, but in the 50+ years I've fired other semi-autos (primarily GI 1911's) that have had many years of use by many shooters, I've never seen one that had enough wear to prevent it from locking open. I wouldn't expect it to be a problem on Rugers either.

Al James

Hunter
I agree with the posts above. Just to throw it out there....If you are training with the pistol for defensive use I would strongly recommend training to use an overhand slingshot method. When all your fine motor skills leave the building you will fall back on your training. If your brain is not controlling your thumb especially well...hopefully you will still be able to run your entire mitt. Just my .02!

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
when mine were new they were difficult to almost impossible. as the pistols were used they broke in and became easier to use. I seldom use that lever to release anyway, but with several thousand downrange on each of them, it is now an option.