Ruger P85 extractor replacement

Help Support Ruger Forum:

billkline2

Bearcat
Hello, can anyone help? I'm replacing the extractor on my p85 and I'm having trouble seating the new piece.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
You have to slide it in and push it 'til it locks in place, it will click. Don't twist or pry it to get a better angle, it would be a bad angle in the end.

Here's a vid of a P90 reassembly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDHQgcFe660

billkline2

Bearcat
Something must be wrong, I can't get it to click in. The small circle like piece won't go far enough to seat in the hole. I feel if I use any more force I may bend it.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Compare the tail end of it to the older extractor, does that end look to be shaved/fitted? I never had to replace mine on that old gun but I do recall someone saying that sometimes they needed to be fitted.

billkline2

Bearcat
It looks to be the same, just a little different bend. I may take it to a gunsmith just to be sure. It's the second extractor I've had replaced and I don't fire the gun that much for that to be an issue.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
The sad thing is the extractors for P series guns have been an off and on issue for years. Many times they're just not springy enough, that's a problem with MIM/Investment Cast parts used for parts like an extractor, they aren't spring steel or hardened or pre-hardened steel or some other more consistent metal.

billkline2

Bearcat
I looked more closely and you were right, the width is a little bit more on the replacement. So I broke out the dremmel and voila! Thanks for you help, and the video. You're right they don't put a lot of craftsmanship and I've read the hardened steel fault with this item in the past. Thing is, at 21 this is what I could afford. I have several other revolvers but none has the 15+1 round capacity, so I like to use this to qualify for HR-218 (fed. firearms cwp). Thanks again for the help!

billkline2

Bearcat
Yeah, that was the first thought I had as well. Turns out, the extractor wasn't completely seated as I thought. About 1mm was enough to prevent the barrel assembly from clearing the breach. After I taped it in, it closed as it always does.