Ruger SR9 With a Real 3.5lb Trigger Pull

Help Support Ruger Forum:

seniorxj

Bearcat
I'm on a quest to get better & better & so the equipment u use needs to be able to perform at the level your "gunning" for.

I've done everything to my SR9 from an ENTIRE polish job, Rocket reset bar with trt, stainless guide, springs, sights, & ofcourse a lot of practice. Got the trigger down from round 7.5, to a solid 5lbs with a few under.

A guy a few lanes over came to let me know they were gonna pop off a few 460 rounds, so I doubled up my ears & watched. Then he offered me to soot & with the hair 2lb pull. I was amased & my accuracy was 10 fold!!

So, is it possible to get a gunsmith to reduce this lovely Ruger SR9 down to 3lbs or under, or is my only option here to go go buy a double action firearm that is ment for this???

Thanx a Mill!!

seniorxj

Bearcat
57K said:
Let me see if I can explain this from my own experience. I started shooting handguns with magnum revolvers and I'm still pretty immune to recoil 35 years later. There are even folks at the local range who ask me to fire/test loads for them.

Shooting paper from a rest, or even game, that's a whole 'nother ballgame. You really don't want a trigger so light on a defensive pistol. I've tried the 3.5# Ghost TRBs and haven't found any advantage over the factory part except 1! Whenever I can get rid of overtravel, I'm all for it. You don't need excessive follow-through but not many autoloaders outside of 1911s are equipped to deal with it. With a good trigger stop, yeah 2# from a handgun hunting revolver is terrific, but you won't see much change from a 4# trigger with a trigger-stop.

My first magnum revolver was a Dan Wesson M15 that included a trigger stop, never seen another .357 Magnum that would outshoot it. But that's a far cry from having to cover a felon until LE arrives. If he needs shot, shoot him. Doing it accidentally after he's surrendered and while you're waiting on LE might need some 'splaining! :wink:

I don't plan on carrying it if I succeed in getting a real 3lb pull on my SR9. I didn't test the trigger pull before the polish job, but i can assure u it was significant!

I did measure it before the Ghost Rocket & springs went in & it was 6.6lb. After all parts were installed, then sent a 100 rounds down range, cleaned it up, & the pull was now a consistent 5lb with a few closer 4.8lb!!

So, is it possible to get a Ruger SR9 down to a legit 3lb pull??

22/45 Fan

Hunter
If you really want a crisp 3 pound or less trigger pull on a handgun you need either a well tuned 1911 or a double action revolver like a S&W K or L-frame or GP-100 with an action job.

seniorxj

Bearcat
57K said:
seniorxj said:
57K said:
Let me see if I can explain this from my own experience. I started shooting handguns with magnum revolvers and I'm still pretty immune to recoil 35 years later. There are even folks at the local range who ask me to fire/test loads for them.

Shooting paper from a rest, or even game, that's a whole 'nother ballgame. You really don't want a trigger so light on a defensive pistol. I've tried the 3.5# Ghost TRBs and haven't found any advantage over the factory part except 1! Whenever I can get rid of overtravel, I'm all for it. You don't need excessive follow-through but not many autoloaders outside of 1911s are equipped to deal with it. With a good trigger stop, yeah 2# from a handgun hunting revolver is terrific, but you won't see much change from a 4# trigger with a trigger-stop.

My first magnum revolver was a Dan Wesson M15 that included a trigger stop, never seen another .357 Magnum that would outshoot it. But that's a far cry from having to cover a felon until LE arrives. If he needs shot, shoot him. Doing it accidentally after he's surrendered and while you're waiting on LE might need some 'splaining! :wink:

I don't plan on carrying it if I succeed in getting a real 3lb pull on my SR9. I didn't test the trigger pull before the polish job, but i can assure u it was significant!

I did measure it before the Ghost Rocket & springs went in & it was 6.6lb. After all parts were installed, then sent a 100 rounds down range, cleaned it up, & the pull was now a consistent 5lb with a few closer 4.8lb!!

So, is it possible to get a Ruger SR9 down to a legit 3lb pull??

Honestly? Since the Ghost TRBs rated 3.5# will not get you to 4#, I don't see 3# being possible. I've done all of the internal polishing myself and it definitely helps. I've had mine since early 2013 and I can tell you that shooting helps as much as anything. I have not had my trigger pull measured, but I would estimate that it's around 4.5# with the factory TRB. :wink:

I believe after everything I've read, the Ghost Rocket or any SR series reset bar was not designed to give u an actual 3.5# trigger & altho its misleading, it comes down to basic marketing. So I figured I would throw the question out there & see if its even possible on the SR9. No harm no foul in asking.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
57K said:
Otherwise I'd tell you to look at what might be one of the best options available, the CZ P-09 with 19 round mags. Unfortunately, CZ was one of the first pistolmakers to give us SHORT CHAMBERS in 9 X 19mm. If you're only going to shoot factory loads, forgetaboutit. If you handload, there will be OACL restrictions that I choose not to be limited by.

So let me get this straight, a major gunmaker makes their guns so you can't shoot factory ammo in them? Can you amplify on that for me?

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
"If you're only going to shoot factory loads, forgetaboutit. "

This is a sentence, you wrote it, please show me how I misconstrued your intent.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
You certainly are a thread tornado there ole' 57K, you manage to turn a Semi-Auto thread into a reloading session and a Reloading thread into a pathetic dance of stupid, fine job. From what I can glean from your convoluted and disjointed prose, you are a purveyor of internet lore, lies and just B.S., an insipid troll that just can't handle not being listened to, so I won't, bye.