sr9 stainless or all black?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

goochster

Bearcat
I know this is a stupid question but I will be buying a sr9 soon but want to know if there is any benefit to the stainless steel. Will it last longer, be easier to sight with etc. I will be replacing my(don't laugh) hi-point c9 which is dead on, has adjustable sites and very easy to sight.
Thanks for any replies and I am sure I am going to love this forum.

Welcome to the forum! I don't know how well the black finish would hold up. I am sure it looks good. My preference is SS. Good luck in your decision. No I will not make fun of your initial choice. We buy what we can afford with the knowledge we had at that time. Besides I have heard more good than bad about the HiPoints.
gramps

goochster

Bearcat
thanks, I'll probably stick with the ss for the sr9. Yes I have nothing but good to say about the c9 it has served me well and my only complaint is breakdown is near impossible in the field :lol:

t-reg

Single-Sixer
Aren't black SR9 / 40 slides treated with a form of nitriding?

My SR40c has seen a lot of sweat, both human and equine and hasn't rusted yet and I rarely take care of it. Did the research before I bought it, too lazy right now.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
t-reg said:
Aren't black SR9 / 40 slides treated with a form of nitriding?

My SR40c has seen a lot of sweat, both human and equine and hasn't rusted yet and I rarely take care of it. Did the research before I bought it, too lazy right now.
Yes, the black slides are nitrided and they are pretty durable and corrosion resistant but the stainless steel slides are corrosion resistant all the way through. Both types are fine but I bought the stainless one.

websterz

Single-Sixer
I went with the SS slide for the reasons already mentioned. And there's not a dang thing wrong with HiPoint firearms. My favorite out of everything in my safe is my 4095TS carbine.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
57K said:
IMO, Ruger should have followed S&W's lead on this one and covered all bases with a blackened stainless slide. Of course, that's an aftermarket choice as well. :wink:
I believe the initial run of "black" SR9's had stainless steel slides which were then blackened but later production of "black slides" went to carbon steel and nitrided them.

doberman

Bearcat
If you can still find one and the price doesn't scare you, the limited edition DLC coated SR9C is great. It is more durable than either of the other coatings/materials offered. Looks great, tough to scratch up, and easy to clean. It's sort of a greenish/gray....but it looks like a very dark gray. Most would think it was black just glancing at it.

I may have mis-spoken. Mine is an SR9C. I'm not sure if the SR9 was offered with a DLC coating. Oops!

TXRuger

Bearcat
I bought a stainless SR9 NIB about 5 years ago. It still looks brand new today. As someone said above, minor scratches on the slide can be fixed easily.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
I have the sr9c in black that I bought over five years ago. A very nice finish and still looks like new. I have the sr45 in SS, but really wish I had gotten the black slide instead. The black finish us very durable.

Armybrat

Buckeye
22/45 Fan said:
57K said:
IMO, Ruger should have followed S&W's lead on this one and covered all bases with a blackened stainless slide. Of course, that's an aftermarket choice as well. :wink:
I believe the initial run of "black" SR9's had stainless steel slides which were then blackened but later production of "black slides" went to carbon steel and nitrided them.
I think you are correct.
Bought my SR9 (330 Series) in 2009 a year or two after they were introduced. The slide is stainless steel with a black finish of some kind. really nice gun for the money:

DellDiamondsuite031.jpg