Retiring my LCP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have been a fan of the LCP for several years, and added a Crimson Trace laser because I found I was shooting it very poorly by itself. But it filled a role for me due to its size. But I have also been carrying an LC9s pretty often, and I find I shoot this gun so much better than I do the LCP that I have never even considered adding a laser sight. Today at the range I was firing both, and found myself thinking "why would I ever carry this LCP?". The trigger on the LC9s is so much better, it carries a more reasonable SD round, has slightly higher capacity, I shoot it much more accurately, and it really is no harder to conceal than is the LCP. I concluded that I have no reason to carry the LCP at all, and will likely consider it selling it in the not too distant future. If it weren't for my life long love of j-frame snubbies, the LC9s would likely become my ONLY carry gun (and limiting myself to one gun for carry clearly has some additional advantages over carrying different guns at different times). But regardless of what I chose to do with my 5-round revolvers, I think I am done with the LCP for good.

I guess lifestyles change, but the LC9 is bunches bigger than an LCP. Number 1 rule of a gunfight is to have a gun. The LCP provides that for me. I hope the LC9 will continue to do that for you.
gramps whose LCP euthanized a hawg, killed a rat, and a Armadillo!

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
I own an LC9-S and love it, but it is not in the same class as the LCP. I can manage to pocket carry my LC9, but it sure doesn't disappear like the LCP does and the weight difference is very noticeable. I don't own an LCP but I am looking for a pocket gun, and I wouldn't put the LC9 in that category. I'm probably gonna pick up an Airweight J frame. I don't feel like buying 500 rounds of .380 ammo to test for reliability and I already own other 38 revolvers plus reload for them.

outerlimit

Bearcat
I would keep the LCP if I were you. There are always times when I can use a really small gun. Even if it is just fitting the backup gun role/purpose at times.

Trucker

Single-Sixer
Like others have said, if it were me I'd be keeping the little peashooter. I keep mine just in case I want to carry a backup. Or, in case I'm on the beach in my swimming trunks. The LC9S is certainly easier to shoot accurately as is my SR9C. The SR9C is my preferred EDC but I do resort to the LC9S on occasion. But ya just never know when the occasion may call for the little peashooter. It will do the job given the right circumstances.

Trucker

Single-Sixer
gramps said:
Why do you call a .380 a peashooter? Same caliber as the Luger round and a silly mm shorter!
gramps

Just my term of affection :) . Elsie P ... Peashooter. Hardly ever have an occasion to carry it but when the occasion arises the little peashooter fills the need.

BTW ... in addition to being a "silly mm" short it's also several rounds short on firepower and a few inches short on penetration vs my preferred EDC. But when concealability becomes the deciding factor my little peashooter rules the roost.

lonewolf5347

Single-Sixer
I have my LCP since 2012 I will say yes it is my goo to carry gun.
I also have a Walter PPK/S and it is becoming a safe queen only get used in the winter months.
I have to say with a mix of lead bullets and street ammo the LCP has never let me down.
I will say close to 1000 rounds and still going strong

Latest posts