Ruger LC9s Pro.....not a bad little 9mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Voodoosan

Bearcat
I wanted a Kel Tec PF9 or a Ruger LC9 to add to my collection of small 9mms I own. I dont need either one but wanted one. I have looked at the PF9 and it seems like an ok gun but I just cant warm up to Kel Tec. Not bashing anyone who likes or owns them. The Ruger LC9 on the other hand seems like its higher quality but the mag disconnect and manual safety was a deal breaker for my personal preference. I also have never been a big fan of the pop-up loaded chamber indicator. But when I saw the LC9s Pro I bought it on the spot.

It its a nice firearm and I am very glad to see Ruger produce something that people have asked for and doesn't have all the safety stuff I didn't want. I honestly cannot believe how good the trigger is on this. I have a few comparable sized 9mm's including a Glock 43, PPS, and Beretta Nano and the LC9s Pro has a better trigger out of all of them even the G43. Nice job Ruger.

Already having a G43, PPS, Nano makes me ask myself why do I need a LC9s Pro. I just wanted to give it a shot. And it didnt break the bank.

Shipping the gun with mag is really lame but...it is what it is. The one that came with it is a USA mag and seems fine so far. I picked up two extra factory USA mags today and my local Gander Mountain and they are going back tomorrow. On one mag the follower gets stuck and the other one doesnt seat properly. So those are getting returned and I ordered two Italian made mags so hopefully that solves that.

The test fired case date is less than a month old so I dont know if that coincides with manufacture date or close to it. But overall I am very happy with this.

I bought one a few months ago for the exact same reasons.... I read about the Italian vs USA mag thing too .... but ended up ordering two direct from Ruger... they are USA made but can't find a problem with either....

Now with all that said, I have put less than 50 rounds through mine.... I still carry it every day... Not a pistol I would want to take to the range and run a couple hundred rounds through.... for me not fun to shoot at all... even though it functions with out a hickup and is dead on accurate. The one issue I've had so far is some slight rust on the very back of the slide... I carry with an inside the waste band holster and I sweat here in S.C. The good and bad about this is if Ruger comes out with one that has a stainless slide I'll snatch it up quick.

What are the differences between the LC9s Pro and the LC9s? I bought my LC9s when they first came out, in great part due to the excellent trigger and have been more than happy with this gun. It has never had a malfunction of any kind and I have fired about 500 rounds through it so far. In my mind it is an excellent compromise between capacity and size, and the quality is excellent. What would I have different if I bought the Pro?

Voodoosan

Bearcat
vito said:
What are the differences between the LC9s Pro and the LC9s? I bought my LC9s when they first came out, in great part due to the excellent trigger and have been more than happy with this gun. It has never had a malfunction of any kind and I have fired about 500 rounds through it so far. In my mind it is an excellent compromise between capacity and size, and the quality is excellent. What would I have different if I bought the Pro?

The LC9s Pro has no magazine disconnect, no manual safety, and no pop-up loaded chamber indicator. Not sure if the trigger is the same on both the Pro has they Glock style trigger.

I guess I'm glad I did not get the Pro model. The mag disconnect and the pop-up loaded indicator don't bother me, and I personally like the option of having a manual safety. Do some have a concern that the safety might be inadvertently moved to the "on" position, or just that you might forget you have the safety on? I practice with the safety on, so slipping it off as I draw the gun has become second nature. I think it helps prevent the slight but real chance to have an accidental discharge.

randyr5

Bearcat
Voodoosan said:
vito said:

The LC9s Pro has no magazine disconnect, no manual safety, and no pop-up loaded chamber indicator. Not sure if the trigger is the same on both the Pro has they Glock style trigger.

Neither of the LC9s models have the pop-up LCI. The LC9 does.

Single-Sixer
The really good thing about the LC9s pro trigger is that it makes it easy to shoot. The really bad thing about the LC9S pro trigger is that it makes it easy to shoot. :)

As mentioned the big difference (as I understand it) is that one has a safety and the 'pro' does not. The reason I went with the Pro is I own and often carry several other Ruger 9mm pistols... specifically the P95 and P89.... all of which are de-cock only and don't have a manual safety.... So, for me I'm used to a handgun that does not have a safety on it. Just like all my revolvers. I also own and some times carry a Walther PPK (at least I did before I got this new Ruger) and I never put the safety on it.... Same with my 22 target pistol... a MKIII.... always in the 'fire' position.

Tom W

Blackhawk
I'm really happy with mine. I have yet to shoot a factory load in it. Just cast 120 gr. bullets with different powders to see which does best. My next trip to the range will see how True Blue works. Anything I load must work in both of my Glocks as well as the Ruger.

smokemup

Bearcat
I recently purchased a Kahr PM9193 for the short pull trigger. Love it. It's the one that was made to be Massachusetts compliant, so has an external safety and a loaded chamber indicator. They included a short pull trigger since the safety would keep things in check. Nicest trigger I ever felt on a Kahr, with about 3/16" or so of travel and measured in at 6.0 lbs. It's been uber reliable with not a single glitch ever in over 500 rounds. Given all that, when you have such a sweet, reliable shooter, what do you do? You stumble across the LC9S Pro at your LGS and go crazy with joy! And some sadness since the LC9s Pro is almost half the price of that Kahr.

So I noticed several things about the Ruger. The trigger is silky smooth and has about the same pull distance as the "short pull" PM9193. However, it's a little lighter and smoother at 5 lbs. How can that be? I dunno, but it sure is. The only thing I miss is a small LCI (loaded chamber indicator) like the PM9193 sports. I think it's a great option which allows you to 'feel' to ensure that your gun is either chambered or not when in the dark and you can't see into a witness hole. Yep, I'm going to miss that. As for the external safety...never used it and had no plans to. If Ruger ever decides to add an LCI, I sure hope they keep the size down to where it doesn't interfere with the sights.

I took both pistols to the range today with lots of ammo. The Kahr has already been through nearly 500 rounds with zero issues. It just runs and runs like that battery bunny, regardless of what it's being fed. I was really hoping the LC9s would do the same. I fed it a variety of ammo, and guess what... It was also 100% reliable! It's a brand new gun that I only cleaned and lubed before heading to the range. No ramp polishing. Nothing. Just loaded magazine after magazine and sent bullets down range without a single hiccup.

Then I got finicky. Which had the better trigger and which had the better accuracy? That accuracy thing is really hard to compare, because of the human in the mix, but they both did great. Standard rifling vs polygonal rifling of the Kahr. I felt that polygonal should return superior results, but unfortunately, they were both nearly identical (minus that pesky operator variance, of course). In other words, don't pay too much more for the fancy rifling data. I have a couple pistols with polygonal rifling and I believe the 'main attraction' is the tighter bullet to barrel wall fit for improved accuracy, velocity and ft lbs of energy. However minor that would turn out to actually be. I could be wrong since I'm drinking some nasty red wine.... and feeling it.

The bottom line is I like 'em both, but realistically, the LC9s Pro has a more predictable, smoother trigger, and just feels better (cleaner) to me. Both are winners, but the price difference certainly gets your attention. Is there any reason to spend the extra cash for the Kahr PM9193? Naw, not really. Plus, fully loaded, the Kahr saves you only 1 ounce, but on the other hand the LC9s Pro has one extra round at 7+1. And that's huge in my book when the overall size is so close. Both have been uber reliable, so now it's just a matter of personal taste and price.

smokemup

Bearcat
I can't seem to bring myself to agree with that. Brand new and I'll take it completely apart, clean, lube and reassemble before heading to the range. I don't want any surprises, and the time to take her down is minimal and reassuring. Whether it's worth the extra effort is not really known, is it. My thought is that it won't hurt, and will help you become more familiar with the weapon you're carrying. Besides, there's not that much interesting going on with the TV these days, so you might as well spend time with your firearms collection. :D Yeah, baby!

41 Magnum

Single-Sixer
I've been looking at the LC9 Pro, & I think you all just made my decision for me ! Any real issues I should be aware of up front ??

smokemup

Bearcat
41 Magnum said:
I've been looking at the LC9 Pro, & I think you all just made my decision for me ! Any real issues I should be aware of up front ??

It's not a 10mm...

41 Magnum

Single-Sixer
Not a Problem, my main carry is a 1911, & Neither my budget nor my pockets are suitable for a .40 !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I have the LC9S and Love it. I am glad that it has the safety and as far as the Magazine disconnect, I took that out the day bought the gun.

Tom W

Blackhawk
I tried mine out again today at the very hot indoor range. I tried a load of True Blue with a 120 gr cast T/C Lee bullet. Shot pretty well as far as L/R, but it was terribly low @ 10 yards. The Bullseye loads that I took were a lot better, as were the Green Dot loads. I was getting 7 rounds in the magazines and one in the chamber....

smokemup said:
41 Magnum said:

It's not a 10mm...

Why not go .50AE on a shoulder rig with P938 BUG?

Wear cargo pants and facilitate the carry of several mags for each...

IMAG0279_zpsnyxbm9k5.jpg