Why Don't LEOs use ruger SR9/SR9C?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
kbm6893 said:
I don't expect a company to completely support a long discontinued product. I do expect them to make it right in some other way, and Ruger does.

Hi,

I realize you have a more special spot in your heart for Ruger than many of us do, and somehow it sounds like a Glock musta crawled up your pants leg and taken a bite out of your bum once upon a time, but these stories of Ruger's phenomenal customer service are really getting old.

I, too, "expect them to make it right." THE FIRST TIME, right out of the box! Ruger's infamous QC practices are costing them sales, whether they know or care, or anyone else does. IF only they'd "make it right", we should know very little about what kind of customer service dept. they have except that they sell extra magazines, t-shirts and hats!

Fixing something for free that wasn't done right in the first place isn't MY idea of "good customer service." Sending out a properly built and working product from the get go IS. Your definitions and expectations may vary.

Rick C

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
Rick Courtright said:
kbm6893 said:
I don't expect a company to completely support a long discontinued product. I do expect them to make it right in some other way, and Ruger does.

Hi,

I realize you have a more special spot in your heart for Ruger than many of us do, and somehow it sounds like a Glock musta crawled up your pants leg and taken a bite out of your bum once upon a time, but these stories of Ruger's phenomenal customer service are really getting old.

I, too, "expect them to make it right." THE FIRST TIME, right out of the box! Ruger's infamous QC practices are costing them sales, whether they know or care, or anyone else does. IF only they'd "make it right", we should know very little about what kind of customer service dept. they have except that they sell extra magazines, t-shirts and hats!

Fixing something for free that wasn't done right in the first place isn't MY idea of "good customer service." Sending out a properly built and working product from the get go IS. Your definitions and expectations may vary.

Rick C

I my experience, they do. Never had a problem with any Ruger I've owned. And I'm not a die hard fan. The service six I have now was bought because it was s good deal at the time. And I knew it was better suited for ,357 than my S&W 66 was. My SPNY was great. My Mini 14 never gave me a problem. The 2 10/22's I own have been perfect. I bought the SR-9 and LC9-S because of the safety features they have. I like the mag disconnect and manual safety, and I wanted something that shares the same manual of arms between home gun (SR-9) and carry gun (LC9-S).

I did send my SR-9 in to Ruger. I had a failure to eject twice out of the first 500 rounds. I knew there was nothing wrong with the gun. I was shooting Winchester white box and my experience with that hasn't been great. The gun was gone 5 days including shipping. I just figured a look under the hood couldn't hurt.

I don't hate Glock as a product. Other than the Phase 3 issue 20 years ago that Glock finally did address, they make a good product. The 19 and 26 I owned were good guns. I think they are horrible choices for police departments, since they are far less forgiving of errors (as are most striker fired weapons).

My issue (on a Ruger forum, no less) is the automatic dismissal of a Ruger semi auto as a police duty weapon. Nobody has ever told me WHY Ruger doesn't measure up, other than "get it right the first time" comments towards Ruger. I would bet that 95% of Ruger owners don't need to send their guns in. And if you go over to the Glock forum (I used to be a member before I sold my Glocks), there are issues with malfunctioning Glocks. The 42 had a bunch of people complaining about reliability, and the 43 has, as well. Somebody show me (not repeat internet spouted rumors) that Ruger has a higher rate of guns needing repair over Glocks. And the very high market for Glock parts means less guns are gonna go back, since nobody is gonna send a gun back on their dime, then wait god knows how long for it to come back, when they can buy the part and replace it themselves for less and in less time. I will give Glock their due in selling parts. Guess I've been lucky and none of the dozens of guns I have owned have needed anything other than springs replaced.

A Google search for "Glock Recalls" brought up tons of hit. Gen 4 springs. Frames. .40 kabooms. Plenty of instances where they didn't "get it right the first time". You can say the same about beretta, smith and Wesson, Colt, sig.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/problems.html

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I actually think the SR would be a fine choice for a police gun, especially since it has a manual safety, mag out safety and huge loaded chamber indicator. I worked as a criminal records clerk for six years and knew alot of coppers, I think the SR would be a better choice than Glock based on what they told me.

Most cops who get shot on duty are shot with their own gun. A manual safety can provide a few seconds in which a perp can't fire the gun, during which the cop can respond properly. Don't believe me? Back in the early 90's our state police issued the S&W 1006 with a manual safety. One trooper got into a wrestling match with a perp who had taken his gun. The bad guy tried to pull the trigger at point blank range and nothing happened because the slide mounted safety was on. This provided just enough time for the cop to pull his back up gun and shoot the perp. If the cop had been carrying the current issue Glock 35, or even a revolver, he would have been killed or at least seriously injured.

The mag out safety is a very good idea for being issued to folks who carry a gun in their job but may not be gun enthusiasts. One long time cop I talked to said that an AD had occurred at every station he ever was assigned to, while he was on shift. They called it a "locker room ballistics test", and it happened alot more often once they started issuing autos because alot of folks who were otherwise good cops just couldn't grasp the concept of drop the mag, then check the chamber. They would get it backwards, or not check the chamber at all. With Glock and many other autos, not only is there no mag out safety but pulling the trigger is the first step to field stripping it. With the SR, the first step to field stripping is to pull back the slide and push down the ejector, plus there is a huge loaded chamber flag right on top of the pistol.

I may end up getting an SR9 for our go-to home defense pistol, as my wife who is not a gun enthusiast may have to use it. I think those features would be ideal for her in addition to the slimmer grip and less stiff trigger pull.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
I actually think the SR would be a fine choice for a police gun, especially since it has a manual safety, mag out safety and huge loaded chamber indicator. I worked as a criminal records clerk for six years and knew alot of coppers, I think the SR would be a better choice than Glock based on what they told me.

Most cops who get shot on duty are shot with their own gun. A manual safety can provide a few seconds in which a perp can't fire the gun, during which the cop can respond properly. Don't believe me? Back in the early 90's our state police issued the S&W 1006 with a manual safety. One trooper got into a wrestling match with a perp who had taken his gun. The bad guy tried to pull the trigger at point blank range and nothing happened because the slide mounted safety was on. This provided just enough time for the cop to pull his back up gun and shoot the perp. If the cop had been carrying the current issue Glock 35, or even a revolver, he would have been killed or at least seriously injured.

The mag out safety is a very good idea for being issued to folks who carry a gun in their job but may not be gun enthusiasts. One long time cop I talked to said that an AD had occurred at every station he ever was assigned to, while he was on shift. They called it a "locker room ballistics test", and it happened alot more often once they started issuing autos because alot of folks who were otherwise good cops just couldn't grasp the concept of drop the mag, then check the chamber. They would get it backwards, or not check the chamber at all. With Glock and many other autos, not only is there no mag out safety but pulling the trigger is the first step to field stripping it. With the SR, the first step to field stripping is to pull back the slide and push down the ejector, plus there is a huge loaded chamber flag right on top of the pistol.

I may end up getting an SR9 for our go-to home defense pistol, as my wife who is not a gun enthusiast may have to use it. I think those features would be ideal for her in addition to the slimmer grip and less stiff trigger pull.

Now you're gonna get "my safety is between my ears", as if they can NEVER make a mistake. The lack of a safety is the number 1 reason I won't own a Glock. The S&W M&P comes in a mag disconnect model OR a manual safety model. But not both features on the same gun. The safety on the SR and LC9 is a nice positive click. Neither one has ever been accidentally engaged or disengaged, I click them off on the draw 50-100 times a night. Totally intuitive now. Don't even think about it. Just like guys who carried 1911's did for all those years before the striker fired no safety Glock hit the scene in 1985.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
See, we can agree on some things! Do you seriously practice drawing your gun 50-100 times a night though?

Pretty much. Don't stand in front of my mirror and and stare at myself. Often don't even have a holster on. Just pick it up and extend my gun arm while flicking safety off. Then flicking back on as I put it down. Unloaded of course.

Takes no time at all. Maybe 5 minutes.