RUGER SR9 OR THE SR9E

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lonewolf5347

Single-Sixer
I been taking a close look at the SR9 in 9mm for steel plate matches and IDPA matches.I wonder if any one here shoot the SR9 and would like your reviews
pro or cons on the pistol.I run now a 1911 frame SA fully work for competition in a local club.
I was thinking in a 1911 frame in 9mm but Ruger SR9 seem to be on my mind.
I see ruger also make the SR9E any pro or cons on this new model.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I have both an SR9 and a nearly stock 9 mm 1911 and as competition gun there is no question I'll stick with the 1911. Whether you shoot limited 10 or use extended magazines the 1911 is far easier to shoot accurately and quickly.

If you really want to use an SR9 for matches, by all means stay with the SR9, not the 9E as the adjustable sights are a major benefit. Also, there are aftermarket Williams fiber optic sights that are fully adjustable rather than just for elevation like the OEM sights. ShopRuger sells them and they are easy to install. They will not fit the 9E.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I recently bought a 9E, and agree with 22/45 Fan. The 9E is not suitable for competition, although it is accurate. No elevation adjust and windage can only be roughly adjusted by drifting the rear site with punch. The rear dovetail is smaller so there are no adjustable rear sights I know of that you can buy right now, but Williams or others may eventually produce them. The finish is also of a lower quality, and slide serrations are wider so gripping the slide is not quite as firm as the higher priced SR9.

lonewolf5347

Single-Sixer
I did shoot today a friends Ruger SR9 4" model year 2013 the gun shot outstanding but the trigger needed a little time to get use to.
I did a few drill runs double tap at 10 yards not a problem at all
I also shot a striker fire 2014 later model LC9 S wow a outstanding trigger .
I will start looking for a later model SR9 and will have to check a few different local dealers to see if I can land a SR9 with a excellent trigger :I do Like the gun shoots and point excellent for me I see no reason with a outstanding trigger the gun can run with any other firearm for steel plate matches

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
I have both. The Sr9 may be better due to the 2 mags. You will need more to play games, but both work great. I beat glocks all the time in IDPA and other games.
Durability seems to be a talking point, but mine has seen over 5000 rounds and going strong. The stainless finish is tough. Mine still looks new. I take the mag disconnects out since you have to dry fire empty gun when done with each stage. Plus the trigger is so much better without it.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
The adjustable sights are worth the $, IMNSHO.

POA = POI