Just Ordered an SR22, Will I regret it???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rfxcasey

Bearcat
Just ordered an SR22 fro $299. I was thinking about a stainless mark III which I found for $280. What is the current state of the SR22? I've read some post from back in 2012 about take down lever breakage as well as some other potential issues. Anyone know if these have been resolved? I really want a reliable 22 for a decent price and if this SR22 doesn't hold up it will be a deal breaker. Hope I don't regret it.

Al James

Hunter
I too have been considering one lately. I was waiting for them to get the kinks worked out since the introduction. That and fix the direction of the safety so it is like everything else I own. Still waiting RUGER! Let us know how it ends up working for you!

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Had one for about a year. Never had any problems with it. Gave it to my daughter since she liked it. I would advise that quality HV ammo (CCI, etc.) in any .22 sa is worth the extra couple$$.

idunnomo

Bearcat
I have had mind since August 2014,no problem at all.Shoots great,a lot of fun to shoot,polish the feed ramp and shoots almost anything,really like the pistol.

Ruger45

Blackhawk
I have one it had to go back to the mother ship but has been fine ever scents. Keep in mind it is not in no way shape or form a Mark 1, 2 or 3

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Ruger45 said:
Keep in mind it is not in no way shape or form a Mark 1, 2 or 3
That's very true, they are completely different types of guns in size, weight and almost everything else. As a casual plinker, small easy to carry trail gun, etc. the SR22 is great but it's not a potential target or small game hunting gun the way the Mk III can be.

rfxcasey

Bearcat
22/45 Fan said:
Ruger45 said:
Keep in mind it is not in no way shape or form a Mark 1, 2 or 3
That's very true, they are completely different types of guns in size, weight and almost everything else. As a casual plinker, small easy to carry trail gun, etc. the SR22 is great but it's not a potential target or small game hunting gun the way the Mk III can be.

Well, this may be a problem. With the asking price of some of these tactical 22 handguns you'd expect the same quality as found in their big brethren. The plastic take down lever for example with subsequent issues relate to it, would it really have been that hard to make it metal, or more like the sr9 style? I"ve read the supposed fix was to add a steel pin to the lever, we'll see how that looks. If its not up to spec I foresee some machining in my future. If I do make one, I'll post pics. I like the overall concept of the sr22 and it sounds like it beats the Walther p22 hands down. I'll give it a good once over once I receive it, if it doesn't meet snuff, some upgrades might be in order. I paid $299 for my sr9c brand new, paid the same for the sr22 which appears to be of overall lesser quality and design. Granted, a 22lr may not need to be as robust as a 9mm or 40cal, still you'd expect to have cofidence the firearm would last a lifetime or 2 especially from a company like Ruger.

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
I don't think you'll regret it at all.
I have two SR22's, and love them both.
Small, light, fit well in my hand, and shoot whatever I feed them.
I did add Williams Fire Sights ($60 installed) as I've been having trouble seeing the stock white dots on all my hand guns.

revhigh

Hawkeye
The accuracy differences alone would be enough for me to choose a MK.

One is spectacular and state of the art ... and the other is marginal at best.

Change your mind and get the MK. You will not be sorry.

To say nothing of the horrendous triggers in the SR guns ... like night and day compared to a MK.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
rfxcasey said:
if it doesn't meet snuff, some upgrades might be in order. r.

Then you'll have even more moneyinvested in a gun that wont be half as good as a stock MK ...

REV

6gun

Hunter
I would have traded you my SR22 for a stainless Mark III, mine was a early production gun and is ammo picky but is lots of fun to shot when it working, $299 is a real good price I noticed Cabela's now want $389 for a SP22.

Wish Ruger would dump the LC9 design and make a 9mm version of the SRR22 would be lots nicer.

dlidster

Single-Sixer
I have two. (Actually, I purchased one as a gift for my wife. That's why I had to purchase another.) They're fabulous. They run on anything. And, while I can't attest to its inherent accuracy, I shoot it very well.

I have two Mark IIIs, a Target and a 22/45, both well-tuned. But just because I enjoy the SR22 so much I'll be shooting it in an NSSF Rimfire Classic in two weeks. After all, I'm in this for the fun.

BTW, I'm 72 and really set in my ways. I resented it when aluminum started to be used in guns. I swore I'd never have one made of plastic. After using a SR22 as a "stage gun" in an IDPA match I changed my mind.

rfxcasey

Bearcat
revhigh said:
rfxcasey said:
if it doesn't meet snuff, some upgrades might be in order. r.

Then you'll have even more moneyinvested in a gun that wont be half as good as a stock MK ...

REV

That's not necessarily an issue. While I don't like wasting money there are only so many choices in 22lr and starting out with a base that suits ones needs and or desires you can turn that platform into what you want. The mark series obviously have their place but I would say so do guns like the sr22. While it may or my not be exactly as desired out of the box, starting with a solid base and modifying it is extremely common, take the ar 15 for example. When it comes to Police SWAT you'd be had pressed to find a non modified gun among the lot.

Anyways, I receive my sr22 today and guess what.....its borked right out of the box.
tVJ1QzzzMwHVXykFmquoI75lkNsnDcikjLfzFFJaHzw=w1228-h921-no

When Ruger gets it right, I really like their guns, but I have to wonder what the hell is going on with their quality control. Such nice, well made, firearms and they somehow get them screwed up right at the end of the process. I had a mini 14 that I couldn't get to sight in properly, had to move the windage all the way to the left post. I messed with it a bit and then sold it. It was probably an improperly torqued down gas block but I stopped fooling with it. Now my LCP is prefect, my SR9c is pretty close but even on it, the left side safety lever was bent and touching the frame so I had to actuated it about 2000 times to wear enough of the polymer frame that it would operate smoothly. Ruger needs to get their crap in order. Why spend all that time researching and developing fine firearms just to make a circus out of it at the quality control phase? At this point I am extremely disappointed with Ruger and while they usually make it right, its still just piss poor execution. They better do me right on this barrel and replace it. If they were really worth a crap they'd just send me the freaking part so I could install it myself. I don't understand why they are so freaking obsessed with doing all the work in house and not even making parts available for public sale, but yet their quality control is a freaking joke.

Al James

Hunter
6gun said:
So do you regret it yet?

OUCH :lol:

Is the only issue the beaver milled area ahead of the chamber? Aside from looking horrible while taken apart does it affect anything?

6gun

Hunter
Well if it shoots good without feed issues like mine has who cares what it looks like with the slide off?

If it shoots bad as it looks send it back ASAP.

rfxcasey

Bearcat
6gun said:
So do you regret it yet?

Not really the guns fault. I find the build quality and the overall design to be very nice. You can get a lemon with any gun you purchase, that's just how it goes. I've been in contact with Ruger already over this and they are reviewing the problem. Whether or not this happened at the Ruger plant or whether someone from Grab a Gun messed with it I can't say. I will say, if I haven't already, that the marring goes all the way around the barrel meaning someone would have had to take the barrel off the frame in order to damage it in this manner. We'll see how Ruger handles this, I certainly don't want to get blamed for misuse as I simply took the gun home, removed the slide for cleaning and noticed the damage. It look as those the barrel was removed and some idiot used a pair of pliers to hold the chamber end of the barrel while trying to either install or remove the thread adapter at the crown end of the barrel. I personally would have put the chamber in a padded vise of I was attempting to remove/install the thread adapter.

If Ruger makes it right, I don't think I'll regret it. If not then definitely yes I will regret it. I probably should have ordered a PPQ 22lr instead.

6gun

Hunter
I wouldn't even buy a new Ruger this year, seems all the poor quality all started when Ruger was trying to produce a Record one million guns for the year, a couple years ago, and was donating one dollar for each gun to the NRA, well this year they want to try and double that to two million so I suspect they will be putting out some real garbage this year in their attempt to meet that number of guns.

Personally I think they should just donate two dollars per gun and try for a record of only one million guns that are quailty with no problems. :D

rfxcasey

Bearcat
I got impatient waiting for Ruger to reply so I said F*CK IT and got out a needle file along with some 400 and 1000 grit wet sand paper. Very light pressure, and a bit of time involved. I work late hours and sometimes lack of sleep makes me a hack, but I think it turned out great. What do you all think?

Went from this:
tVJ1QzzzMwHVXykFmquoI75lkNsnDcikjLfzFFJaHzw=w1287-h965-no

To this:
nziWU-LtSyLzL-wOFiGPL1NHyR5U1yWVSVvnjRvGqxI=w1287-h965-no

tQ-tTrY8uer77Ft7UqCJaWcaB8JcVnZnpo_cG6tEJVM=w1287-h965-no

No noticeable change in contour, perhaps the defect was more protruding rather then recessed. Its was hard to tell with the naked eye. Guess I could have used a magnifying glass or taken it to work where we have the awesome inspection microscopes. At first I though it looked like someone had held it with a pair of pliers while trying to remove or install the thread adapter, it certainly wasn't my doing. The damage went all the way around the barrel so it would have had to have been off for this to occur. I took the barrel off to completely repair it. After fixing it, I'm leaning towards a milling defect perhaps. Sometimes I guess you just have to take mattering into your own hands. @6gun, yes function is more important, however when you buy something new you expect certain things. If I had screwed it up myself I would only have myself to blame. If the gun gets dinged and scratched due to normal wear then that just added to the character of the firearm. Hack job damage does however bother the hell out of me. I find cleaning my guns enjoyable and somewhat therapeutic. With the damage to this one, every time I took it apart to clean it would have bugged the living crap out of me. That's just me personally.

Anyways, I'm happy now. I opened my sliding glass door and shot a can on the deck from inside the house. Damn thing is loud! Just fired the one round, hardly a good test but all seems good. I'll take it out soon and run about 300rds through it. I'll report back. I think I am really going to enjoy this pistol so in the end, I don't reget it after all. :mrgreen: LOL!