Just Ordered an SR22, Will I regret it???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Al James

Hunter
Looks like the cast barrel missed the finishing step that you eventually performed. Cast barrels need quite a few finishing steps before road ready.

I have had 2 or 3 unfinished cast parts sneak into my Rugers over the last few years. I had a 2008 SR9 which I sent back for not only the recall, but for the entire underside of the slide appearing about as rough as a gravel road. The new slide was night and day better so I can only assume the first one missed a step in the QC process[or lack there of as of late]. I am sad to see Ruger failing at QC so often. I often wonder if it is just the interweb phenom or is Ruger just plagued with craptastic QC ever since WBR passed along.

Make sure you keep us updated on she runs!

rfxcasey

Bearcat
Al James said:
Looks like the cast barrel missed the finishing step that you eventually performed. Cast barrels need quite a few finishing steps before road ready.

I have had 2 or 3 unfinished cast parts sneak into my Rugers over the last few years. I had a 2008 SR9 which I sent back for not only the recall, but for the entire underside of the slide appearing about as rough as a gravel road. The new slide was night and day better so I can only assume the first one missed a step in the QC process[or lack there of as of late]. I am sad to see Ruger failing at QC so often. I often wonder if it is just the interweb phenom or is Ruger just plagued with craptastic QC ever since WBR passed along.

Make sure you keep us updated on she runs!

Wasn't aware this was cast, I though it was milled stainless steel. Not sure what you mean by interweb phenom but the mini 14 I purchased was shooting so far left I couldn't adjust the windage enough to compensate. I tried changing stocks and some other stuff with a gunsmith buddy of mine but nothing helped so I sold it. Then my SR9C, while not a show stopper, the left safety was too close to the frame and rubbing causing it to hang. Had to actuate it about 2000 times till it wore enough of the frame to allow it to move freely. Didn't send that one back or sell it. Then there was this latest incident with the SR22 and I'm just one person. I have purchased quite a few other guns from other manufacturers over the past couple years and none have had any issues, only the Rugers so you tell me what you think? Really pretty pathetic if you ask me. Doesn't instill me with a lot of confidence that there are so many glaring and obvious defects that make it through, what about the more serious unnoticed defeats that could potentially be dangerous or even life threatening. What is the same lack of QC is happening with their barrels material composition or forging process. Kind of scary actually.

6gun

Hunter
Well Ruger does have good customer service and does that care of their problems, if you think they are bad try dealing with Thompson arms, my kid bought a gun from them, customer service is rude and unwilling to help, he had to fight with them for weeks to get them to agree to let him send the gun back for repairs.

then got sent back the second time the day it arrived back from a Thompson for the first repair, first repair took 6 weeks, still waiting for it to be returned for the second time, been over 6 weeks this time, sad thing is we know the gun will never be right and always be a piece of crap, they refused to replace the gun and so far they can't fix it.

After seeing how Thompson threats people I'll stay with Ruger, at least I know they will make thing right if they mess up.

Al James

Hunter
What I meant by interweb phenom is just in regard to how big the problem really is? If Ruger makes 200,000 SR22's over the course of a year or two and you read about 1000 problems online it would seem like a lot to you and me and an epidemic. However, in a companies QC analysis it would only be a .5% failure/return rate. I do not work for Ruger so I do not know the actual numbers. Just a thought that I have had, I'm not trying to argue with you.

I too have had some issues with Rugers beginning around 2007-08 so I am not saying they do not have any issues.

As far as castings....I do not think I would worry about the strength of Rugers Pine Tree Castings. Ruger has used casting forever and they are considered quite stout. And while I have not researched the subject I would guess the SR22's barrel is made from a casting just like many of Rugers other barrels.

rfxcasey

Bearcat
Al James said:
What I meant by interweb phenom is just in regard to how big the problem really is? If Ruger makes 200,000 SR22's over the course of a year or two and you read about 1000 problems online it would seem like a lot to you and me and an epidemic. However, in a companies QC analysis it would only be a .5% failure/return rate. I do not work for Ruger so I do not know the actual numbers. Just a thought that I have had, I'm not trying to argue with you.

I too have had some issues with Rugers beginning around 2007-08 so I am not saying they do not have any issues.

As far as castings....I do not think I would worry about the strength of Rugers Pine Tree Castings. Ruger has used casting forever and they are considered quite stout. And while I have not researched the subject I would guess the SR22's barrel is made from a casting just like many of Rugers other barrels.

Well, considering the a Umarex M4 Colt has a barrel like this, which would appear to be nothing more then a tube from The Home Depot, though I know not of what it is composed of:
iu

iu

I'm sure the Ruger will be fine. I wasn't saying I was afraid the sr22 barrel would be a problem, and it is a 22lr after all, I was just saying that it might make someone wonder if their QC of the obvious is so lacked, what else might be slipping through the cracks?