Open Carry Coming to Texas

Help Support Ruger Forum:

donguido

Bearcat
Anyone have advice on open carry holsters for my SR40C. Although I believe the law isn't effective until Jan 1, 2016. And not overly keen on open carry. I'd rather be ready and able and not have anyone know it, I think?

OldePhart

Blackhawk
I'm with you. They say knowledge is power...I'm all for denying potential adversaries knowledge. :) If I lived in a very rural area or was out hiking or the like I'd probably carry openly but in town it's going to remain my little secret.

That said, any holster that retains the weapon well is suitable. If I were going to open carry I'd probably use a thumb-break style holster for good retention because without the grip being held in tight like my IWB holsters do I'd be a bit worried about a snatch from behind. The thumb break doesn't absolutely prevent that, of course, but does make it trickier to pull off while it really doesn't slow the wearer's draw at all (once one has practiced with it, of course).

John

websterz

Single-Sixer
I carry my SR9 in a Blackhawk Serpa. The retention is excellent and, for me at least, it is very easy to draw from. The Serpa has gotten some bad reviews because of its trigger finger release design. Some people are apparently using it incorrectly and shooting themselves in the leg but if you draw from it like it was designed it is a very safe design IMO.

DGW1949

Hunter
Open Carry is indeed coming to Texas.
However, Constitutional Carry is not.
In other words, anyone who wishes to "carry" in Texas (including any supposed gang bangers) will still have to first obtain a permit to do so from the State.

That said.......
The choice of how a Texas permit holder want's to carry his sidearm will soon be his (or hers)....which brings us back to the OP's question;
"Anyone have advice on open carry holsters for my SR40C."
My answer to that is....in the most secure holster I could find, which will look a lot like this: http://www.safariland.com/retention/model-0705-ssiii-low-ride-level-iii-retention-duty-holster-19803.html#start=1

DGW

Voodoosan

Bearcat
donguido said:
Anyone have advice on open carry holsters for my SR40C. Although I believe the law isn't effective until Jan 1, 2016. And not overly keen on open carry. I'd rather be ready and able and not have anyone know it, I think?

I like Garrett Industries, Galco, and Comp Tac quite a bit. GI makes excellent holsters. You could also check out DM Bullard. Depends if you want leather or kydex or a hybrid.

Voodoosan

Bearcat
and not to get too off topic I am very glad here in Texas we will have open carry. Will I open carry? Probably not right off and if and when I do it will be depending where I am going. I always prefer to conceal carry because no one knows I have a gun. But I like the option to open carry if I want.

I am sure there will be requirements like when open carrying a handgun must be in a belt holster or shoulder holster so hopefully that will prevent the mall ninjas from wearing tactical thigh rigs at the mall. Many other states already have OC and it is not a problem. It wont be in Texas either. Hopefully it wont cause businesses to start posting a bunch of 30.06 signs and no open carry signs that currently arent posted.

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
I will be out and about Jan. 1. Probably at the deer lease, but will have to go to town just to feel a little more free. "Feel".

dakota1911

Buckeye
They have had it in Arizona and you rarely see people walking around with a gun on their hip that is not some form of cop unless you go to shooting ranges or one of the cowboy places like Tombstone or Old Tucson or something.

tx gunrunner

Bearcat
Now don't forget you need a conceal gun permit lic to open carry if I read the law correctly . I never open carry and never will . I don't like people knowing I have gun .

guidedfishing

Single-Sixer
Wisconsin has had open carry for as long as I can remember, no permit required. You rarely see folks open carrying in town but very common in the bush, typically a 22 pistol or usually a larger framed revolver in 357mag and up, with a retention or snap over holster. I fully support open carry and typically carry a Ruger SBH in 44 when in the woods. However, when traveling and in public places in WI & MN I always go with an IWB, Ruger LC9 concealed. In my opinion there is no sense drawing any attention to myself or creating situations which may limit my options. A permit is required for concealed carry in WI, but we have always been able to open carry without a permit. Nice to see Texas catching up a little.

Nano65

Bearcat
There will probably be a little shock to some people the first time they see someone open carrying in Texas. Unless they have been hiding under a rock it will be hard to see how they missed hearing about open carry with the huge fight in the legislature. This was an unbelievably difficult piece of legislation to pass. It was all televised and went on day after day on the internet. Texas politics is sumpthin else.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
We have it in PA and I see it MAYBE 3 times a year, and those who are take the "open" part of open carry to the limit. Last guy I saw (just yesterday, in fact) had a huge Glock in some tactical holster on his hip, and his license plate (this was at a gas station) read "OPN CRRY". Just another person who should have more important things on his mind.

Incidentally, the leader of Open Carry Tarrant County (a Texas OC group), did not view the new law as a victory. He wanted constitutional carry. The new law that requires a carry permit to OC doesn't help him since he has burglary convictions that prevent him from getting a permit.

I OC on my property and when in the woods. But you'll never see me doing it in town. Just don't see any benefit. And in my experience, those who do it are doing it to make a statement.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
If the guy has burglary convictions that keep him from getting a permit wouldn't be also be ineligible to buy or own a gun in the first place? He should probably worry more about getting his record expunged or pardoned.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
If the guy has burglary convictions that keep him from getting a permit wouldn't be also be ineligible to buy or own a gun in the first place? He should probably worry more about getting his record expunged or pardoned.

No. He can legally own a rifle, but not a pistol. So he can't get a carry permit in Texas. The convictions are misdemeanors.

5of7

Hunter
Michigan is an open carry state, so it matters not to a CPL holder whether or not his firearm is concealed....from the standpoint of legality.

I sometimes carry open as a matter of convenience, but thus far, no one seems to have noticed, or if they did, they didn't react to it. 8)