Open Carry Coming to Texas

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Taterman

Buckeye
guidedfishing said:
Wisconsin has had open carry for as long as I can remember, no permit required. You rarely see folks open carrying in town but very common in the bush, typically a 22 pistol or usually a larger framed revolver in 357mag and up, with a retention or snap over holster. I fully support open carry and typically carry a Ruger SBH in 44 when in the woods. However, when traveling and in public places in WI & MN I always go with an IWB, Ruger LC9 concealed. In my opinion there is no sense drawing any attention to myself or creating situations which may limit my options. A permit is required for concealed carry in WI, but we have always been able to open carry without a permit. Nice to see Texas catching up a little.

Wow, never knew that. I've spent a lot of time in WI over the years and have never seen someone open carry ever.
It was mostly southern WI though.

Armybrat

Buckeye
FergusonTO35 said:
Wow, I knew Texas was more strict than alot of places but I didn't know they were that strict.
Most of the Texas restrictions were enacted after the War for Southern Independence and the various range/fence cutting wars. Lot of shootin' was going on around here in those days. But nowadays most of the ruckus goes on in Dallas, Houston, and San Antone.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Here in Kentucky CCW was banned in the immediate postwar years for the same reason. Well into the twentieth century some of our rural counties had crime rates that would make Al Capone blush.

jslshooter

Bearcat
WHO THE HELL WANTS TO OPEN CARRY ANYWAY??

As an advocate of concealed carry I see a few cons in open versus concealed carry. My biggest con in open carry is your loss of a PLAN B. No matter where you live there will always be a bad guy or two and when you're recognized as someone with a gun....then you're part of his plan and you'll be the first to go. I say, have the element of surprise and get that perp off guard when you can, if you can. My state (Louisiana) is technically still under Napoleonic Code in which open carry is not technically outlawed. A person can walk around open carry and technically not breaking the law but you will be stopped and harrased by LE for safety reasons.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Since conceal carry will still be an option, I'll prefer to continue in my "discrete ways" ;-)

This is way it is in my state now, open carry does not even require a licence. I'd venture a guess to say more than 95% still conceal here as well in spite of that.

One of the less talked about reasons most permit holders do not open carry it that they do not enjoy making others feel uncomfortable. I'm one of those people. While I'd argue that fear is completely misguided and misplaced I still recognize the reality that it is there unfortunately with some members of the public. I'd like to think while we may disagree with them we should still have consideration for others, including their irrational fears.

Some take the opposite approach and attempt to force it into the public view with rally's and open carry events. I respect the intent, I'm honestly still undecided on what effect it has. I really haven't made up my mind on that yet.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I carry concealed because it's nobody's darn business whether I'm carrying or not. Also, I enjoy just walking right by no guns allowed signs on the rare occasions when I have to stomach going into such a place.

wiz1997

Single-Sixer
Anyone currently having a valid CHL issued by the State of Texas (concealed handgun license) will be able to decide on Jan 1 how they wish to carry without having to change anything.

Your CHL will be later issued as a LTC (license to carry) at your next renewal date.

After Jan 1 if you wish to carry you must apply for the LTC.

There is no open or concealed carry without a license.

City, County, or State Law Enforcement Officers can stop or detain anyone carrying a visible handgun without probable cause until the license is validated.

There was originally an amendment to the bill that prevented LEO's from stopping you just because you had a gun but it was removed at the last minute to get the votes needed.

A handgun carried in the open must be in a belt or shoulder holster but does not have to have any kind of retention device.

A handgun that is visible in a vehicle must must also be in a belt or shoulder holster.

Private businesses that want to prohibit concealed carry in their establishment must post the 30.06 sign.

Private businesses that want to prohibit open carry (but not concealed) in their establishment must post the 30.07 sign.

If they want to prohibit both they must post both signs.

Concealed but not open carry will be permitted after Jan 1 on campuses of higher learning with the LTC license or the current CHL.

So that's what I learned recently.

I suggest anyone here in Texas considering open or concealed carry to read up on the new laws themselves.

Alien Gear Holster has a two holster package deal going on where you can two holsters in different configurations.

I plan on getting one for concealed carry and one for open carry.

Save a few bucks on the package deal and they are made in the USA.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Concealed but not open carry will be permitted after Jan 1 on campuses of higher learning with the LTC license or the current CHL.
That is not correct. The starting date for concealed carry into campus buildings of Texas public universities & colleges that are not prohibited places is August 1st. Carrying on the campus of those institutions is already legal and has been for 20 years.

sliclee

Single-Sixer
One main reason for open carry every where were the police abusing people who carried a gun. I saw it printed,we grabbed him, some people would call in man with a gun,even if they never saw all of it or just a tiny part cops would come and give a hard time to the person carrying. Now,open carry will stop that abuse, cops can't arrest someone on a fake charge of "brandishing" when all someone saw in a open jacket was the bottom of something.
I dont particularly care for open carry wondering who is going to practice sneaking up behind someone carrying and push forward while grabbing the gun, no matter what holding device is used. Maybe if many people are carrying and you get a warning from someone. Too many cops loose their guns like that no way to stop it,almost. I remember my uncles practicing
how to avoid that in crowded situations in NY.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Handwringers & haters are still going to call 911 about a "man with a gun", and cops are still going to detain an OCer to verify his license.