LCP or S&W Bodyguard?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

PirateJim

Bearcat
Hello, I am new to the forum, but far from new to Ruger. I have had an old Security Six in my glove box for years, and I had a .223 Ranch Rifle that is one of my "traded it" regrets.

Now I am contemplating a pocket .380. The candidates are down to the Ruger LCP or S&W Bodyguard. I have a slight bias to S&W because my primary EDC is a Shield .40 and my house gun is also an M&P. But the bias is only slight and I am torn between the Ruger and Smith. The LCP is somewhat smaller and thus more 'pocketable' while the Smith's slightly (only slightly) larger size is said to make it nicer to shoot. Either way, after assuring I feel good about function neither will get a lot of mileage, I have other guns that are pleasant to shoot.

I don't hang out on this forum but reviewing more or less recent posts I really do not see a lot of comments good or bad about the LCP. I take this as a very good sign. Over on the S&W forum it seems that there are two sorts of people, those with no Bodyguard problems and those with lots.

So, LCP or Bodyguard. "Why" wound be much appreciated as well as the vote. Thanks in advance!

Jim

RugerHound

Hunter
Welcome to the forum Jim!

I have no experience with the S&W, but it looks like a nice piece. I can tell you what I like/don't like about the LCP however.

What I like:
1 - It's compact and easy to conceal. I really like the fact that I can tuck that little puppy in front of my riding vest where it's virtually undetectable. I've actually gone through 'frisking' without it being detected on more than one occasion.

2 - It's light and easy to get apart, clean and maintain.

3 - It's cheap to buy and (so far) it seems durable.

Now what I don't like:

1 - To me it's no fun to shoot... It's too small to fit my hand comfortably and doesn't have enough bulk for the recoil. But on the other hand I didn't buy it to take to the range. I got it for exactly what I use it for which is to bail my happy butt out of a jam! ;) If it sends lead out the end of the pipe then I'm satisfied.

2 - The thing has an 18 mile-long trigger pull. Again - It's not anything I find enjoyable to shoot.

The S&W looks a lot like the Ruger LC9 which IS more comfortable to me.... In fact I've been carrying the LC9 more and more. It's just not quite as compact as the LCP, but I really do like the feel of it.

PirateJim

Bearcat
Thanks for the response! I have no intention to shoot any.380 extensively which ever way I go. A few hundred rounds (~500) to assure reliability and 'break it in' and then empty the carry clip and clean/lube every month or so. I have other guns that are a pleasure to shoot, pocket guns don't need to fill that space.

Jim

I love my LCP. I have small hands, so it fits well. Everyone complains about the sights on the original ones. The sights on mine was fine, but found out later I had one of the original design :) The new design has enhanced sights for better visibility. The LCP now comes in SS, which would have been my choice, but wasn't available when I bought. I have euthanized a hawg I hit in Tx, killed rats and an Armadillo on my farm in Tn. Why? Because it is what I had at the moment. Good luck in your choice. To me, recoil is a non-issue.
gramps

t-reg

Single-Sixer
Last week I did a side by side comparo at the LGS, Bodygaurd vs LCPc 3740 for the purpose of deep CC (pocket, ankle, IWB, etc).

The LCPc won by a wide margin being smaller, thinner, lighter, having better sights and a vastly superior trigger.

Jim Puke

Hunter
FergusonTO35 said:
Have you looked at the Kahr CT380? The cost the same as those you mention and are comfortable enough to shoot all day. I love my CT380!

I have the LCP and the CT380...LCP is rock solid reliable and it IS a small gun to carry...but the CT380 eats it's lunch as far as shootability and it has been just as reliable...it is a little larger, but it poses no problem for my pocket carry.

If I were buying a .380 today, I would go straight to the CT380 and never look back.

With the above said, I realize the Kahr was not on your list...so, the LCP gets the nod.

David Lee Valdina

Single-Sixer
I have both, and I like both. I bought the Ruger some years back. I like the holster with Ruger's logo on it, the one with the hooked forward portion so it stays inside the pocket, not getting withdrawn with the pistol. It does not have a safety, which I like. That long trigger pull is the safety. But it does not have double strike capability. When the S&W came out, I bought one used, and sold the laser to a man who had screwed his up cleaning the gun. L.A. Police allow this as a backup provided the officer removes the laser and the safety. And it has double strike capability. Beyond that, both have a long D.A. type trigger pull, which makes carrying inside your pocket relatively safe. Both don't print much. I have only very infrequent mechanical problems which is why I love my .38 Special revolvers, but they do print a lot by contrast to the small pistols.

Georgia Yankee

Bearcat
I had made up my mind to buy a S&W M&P 380 Bodyguard, but the store did not have one. They did, however, have a Ruger LCP. I had been reading about both, and am quite familiar with both. The S&W got my nod originally because the sights are more visible, replaceable and windage drift adjustable, magazines are cheaper, it comes with two magazines, it has a hold open on the last shot. Also, I have an M&P 40c that I really like. I had some trepidation about the heavier S&W trigger pull. The Ruger was very slightly smaller, lighter trigger pull because it is not a full strike action (is that an advantage or disadvantage?), slicker sights and a slightly lower price tag. I got the Ruger, as I said. I had a gift card for the store, and the nearest store was 140 miles away from home, so when I made the stop while traveling on vacation, I bought what they had in stock. The Ruger is slightly smaller in height, and the sights, though fixed and less visible, are good-sized and less catchy on clothing. I do not regret my purchase. The little pistol is remarkably accurate. I was amazed at how well I could hit with it, and how well it shoots to point of aim. I really, really like it so far, but have shot it less than 100 rounds. I have shot the cheapest 380's the store had, Herter's (rebranded S&B) full metal case, and Remington HTP hollow points. I have had no hint of functional problems with either ammo.

A really surprising revelation to me was when my 68-year-old sister and my 20-year-old daughter (both in good shape and pretty strong) could not rack the LCP's slide, try as they might. That pretty much rules out their use of the LCP for carry; how would they clear a malfunction? They were able to load and fire my brother's Ruger LCR revolver, however.

Both guns have excellent reputations and have their own strong points. I guess it is a matter of which features are important to you.

Slyk Willy

Single-Sixer
Daughter owns/shoots the 38 BodyGuard. nice little revolver. Snappy recoil and with practice a reasonably accurate self defense handgun. Not knowledgeable r/e the LCP, but a friend owns one and although he doesn't shoot often seems to like it's performance.

louchia

Single-Sixer
I looked at both and decided on the LCP. It does have a couple of negatives. The slide does not lock back after the last round is fired. and the slide stop is not easy to operate. I don't mine the long trigger pull. After you adjust to it, it seems natural. It is actually a built in safety feature. I like that it is very small, very concealable and light and is very comfortable as an all day EDC.
The S&W felt uncomfortable in the hand. I thought the rear sight might snag.
This type of gun, IMHO is a point and shoot , close encounter defense gun.

tuna

Bearcat
S&W sucks. Go ruger, kel-tec or Taurus. Unless you just want a semi reliable range toy that works after dealing with customer service one step below the rmv.

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
Why not opt for the inexpensive alternative? Go Kel Tec...

Now you have a small reliable .380 platform you didn't spend huge $$$ on.

If you ever need to use it, no loss.
I guess the Sig P238 is priced out of this conversation, but a mini- 1911 sure does it for me, accurate and locked breech.

I have and like them both. The lcp is lighter and easier to Conceal. To me, they shoot equally well.
20220406_152332.jpg

Last edited:

CabineHound

Bearcat
In my patrol days i carried an AMT 380DA as backup. Small stainless pistol. Recoil was downright vicious.
First time I fired a Kel-Tek I was REALLY worried about recoil. It was snappy, but pretty comfortable.
I think that it's the composite frame/grip and locked breech. I've never looked back.
I now carry an LCP for the slightly better trigger.
We've come a long way, baybee.

Last edited:

bookemdano

Single-Sixer
Have you looked at the Kahr CW380 and CT380? The cost the same as those you mention and are comfortable enough to shoot all day. I love my CT380!
I have all 3: LCP, S&W 380 Bodyguard and a Kahr P380. I prefer the P380 by far. It's just
easier to shoot. The LCP is too small and the trigger is a mile long. The Bodyguard is better
but if that's your choice be sure to get one with the CT laser, the Incite laser is the reason
that S&W changed to the CT. It's either impossible to activate or it will activate in the
holster and be dead when you need it. The P380 has the long trigger they all have but
it's smooth as butter all the way thru.
Dano

RSIno1

Hunter
A really surprising revelation to me was when my 68-year-old sister and my 20-year-old daughter (both in good shape and pretty strong) could not rack the LCP's slide, try as they might. That pretty much rules out their use of the LCP for carry; how would they clear a malfunction? T
My wife has the same problem with hers. Somebody needs to make a "charging ring" for them. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018783782

harley08

Blackhawk
Hello, I am new to the forum, but far from new to Ruger. I have had an old Security Six in my glove box for years, and I had a .223 Ranch Rifle that is one of my "traded it" regrets.

Now I am contemplating a pocket .380. The candidates are down to the Ruger LCP or S&W Bodyguard. I have a slight bias to S&W because my primary EDC is a Shield .40 and my house gun is also an M&P. But the bias is only slight and I am torn between the Ruger and Smith. The LCP is somewhat smaller and thus more 'pocketable' while the Smith's slightly (only slightly) larger size is said to make it nicer to shoot. Either way, after assuring I feel good about function neither will get a lot of mileage, I have other guns that are pleasant to shoot.

I don't hang out on this forum but reviewing more or less recent posts I really do not see a lot of comments good or bad about the LCP. I take this as a very good sign. Over on the S&W forum it seems that there are two sorts of people, those with no Bodyguard problems and those with lots.

So, LCP or Bodyguard. "Why" wound be much appreciated as well as the vote. Thanks in advance!

Jim
I will never buy a S & W again! The reason is I had a S & W ultra light weight revolver in .357 magnum. I was shooting brand name .38 specials in it. The gun blew up in my hand, luck has it, I was not hurt. But the gun was ruined. I sent the gut to S & W explained what happened. Weeks latter they sent my gun back to me saying it was not their fault sent us $689.00 and we will send you another gun. Really? S & W customer service sucks!
Do not buy ant thing from S & W
Buy a Ruger you will be much happier!
Rocko Rizzo
NEVER BUY ANY THING FROM Smith and Wesson