Small Ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yawn

Blackhawk
Ok, I truly am not trying to start any commotion here... but I am shocked at how small 9mm ammo is now. Ok, it never changed sizes. I just have not been around it in a while.

I went shooting with a bunch of guys recently and they had all kinds of guns, including almost all major semi auto hand gun calibers. (Side note, one guy had the newer berretta 40 - man, what an ugly mo (the gun not the guy)... but it was the smoothest and lightest recoil 40 I have ever shot due to the rotating barrel.) We were all reloading at the same station and I was amazed at how small 9mm is... it literally felt like I was looking at it for the first time. It felt a little bigger than 22. Now, I know that is not the case, but it really is how it felt. In all honesty, the 40 felt small too - of course because size wize they aren't too far off. The contrast juist struck me though.

I have no issues with any of the calibers and would not want to be fired at by any of them... but it really did surprise me. Anyone else ever had this?

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
Nope. If anything, it's the exact opposite for me.
All but two of my guns are .22LR or 9mm.

roylt

Hunter
for me 9mm is the new 22lr. I can get 9 any day of the week but 22lr is still being horded by old dudes that have nothing better to do than go and sit at the ammo counter in walmart and wait. By 5 oclock when I get off work it is all gone. Then the guys selling the stuff just makes me shoot 9mm that much more.

Al James

Hunter
roylt said:
for me 9mm is the new 22lr. I can get 9 any day of the week but 22lr is still being horded by old dudes that have nothing better to do than go and sit at the ammo counter in walmart and wait. By 5 oclock when I get off work it is all gone. Then the guys selling the stuff just makes me shoot 9mm that much more.

Funny you should mention that Roy.....I was just thinking the same thing yesterday! I have not been able to find a brick of 22 LR locally in years. Unless I want to triple the neck beards money for him at the local fun show.

As for the 9x19....its too bad we cant go back to about 2000 when WWB 100 rd value packs were $10.24 at Walmart. Of course 550 bricks of Federal were around 12.97 back then too. Who would have thought there would come a day when you cant buy 22lr. Sad really. :cry:

RugerHound

Hunter
roylt said:

They don't wait at the ammo counters... They have apps and smart phones that tells 'em exactly where the ammo is, how much is coming and when.

You can buy all you want at gun shows... That's where they re-sell it.

Yawn

Blackhawk
I will take this as it being just me then. Ha ha, thanks folks!

DGW1949

Hunter
Yawn said:
I will take this as it being just me then. Ha ha, thanks folks!

Nope, it aint just you.
I've allways thought that the 124/9MM looked rather dainty, especialy when layed side by side to it's (almost) ballisic equivelent, the 125/38 Spl +P.

Just goes to show that looks don't mean much. :lol: .

DGW