SR9 Fail to Eject

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
Love the gun. Very smooth. Fired 100 of my reloads today. One failed to eject. Never happened before. Also, when reassembling it, I got a cleaning rag caught on the ejector. I freed it, but when reassembling the gun, the ejector wouldn't go up. Had to wiggle it around until it did. All seems well now, but curious as to what could have caused it. Not too worried about the fail to eject. I am meticulous about my reloads though.

Al James

Hunter
Sorry I did not think you were waiting on a response!

I'm guessing you got the ejector in a little bit of a bind with the rag. So long as it is moving freely up and down now it should function as designed.

As far as the failure to eject....could be several things. Improperly sized reload, burr on rim, limp wristing, junk behind extractor, etc. Did you save the casing from the round that did not eject?

If it were me I would suspect my reloads first. Depending on your reloading set up it may be possible that one round missed a step. Good luck and let us know what you figure out. Great guns BTW!

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
I inspected casing. Looked fine. No burrs. A few months back it jammed three times on Winchester white box. Different jam with them, though. Round would not feed fully into chamber, and very hard to rack slide to clear. Fired 150
Rounds of federal right after that and all fine.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
my SR9 likes a powder in the burn rate area of perhaps AA#5, or Autocomp. my 9c will work with a faster powder like AA#2. the full size pistol will occasionally not extract with the faster powders.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
pjvrefugee said:
my SR9 likes a powder in the burn rate area of perhaps AA#5, or Autocomp. my 9c will work with a faster powder like AA#2. the full size pistol will occasionally not extract with the faster powders.
Interesting observation. I use TiteGroup, which is quite fast, for all of my 9 mm and .38 Special loads. My SR9c never has a problem with either 125 gr LCN or 124 gr JHP reloads while my full size SR9 occasionally (say one out of 100 shots) "stovepipes" and fails to clear the fired case.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
Well I took it to the range on Tuesday. Fired 100 reloads and 50
Rounds of Federal 115 grain fmj from Walmart. All fed and ejected fine. Federal was more potent though. Cases ejected further too. I'm reloading 124 grain fmj bullets over 4.6 grains of SR7625. Recipe calls for between 4.3 and 4.9 grains. I've gone as high as 4.7 and didn't really notice any difference.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
kbm6893 said:
Well I took it to the range on Tuesday. Fired 100 reloads and 50
Rounds of Federal 115 grain fmj from Walmart. All fed and ejected fine. Federal was more potent though. Cases ejected further too. I'm reloading 124 grain fmj bullets over 4.6 grains of SR7625. Recipe calls for between 4.3 and 4.9 grains. I've gone as high as 4.7 and didn't really notice any difference.

It sounds like your loads are on the edge of cycling your gun with all other things considered being right. The data that you are using is for a Berry's Bullets 124gr Hollow Base RN bullet loaded to a length of 1.150", I use this bullet in some of my loads and have found that I have need to be very near or at the max for some pistols to cycle with some authority using Hodgdon data. If you are using a different bullet then a bit of tweaking may be needed to get you off that edge.

This is a good example were a chronograph would come in handy, you could see where you are at 4.6gr and what you would gain at 4.8gr. Some of the Hodgdon data will end up a bit short in performance when you chrono a load, especially if you like to load a little closer to a full 9mm length of 1.169" like I may for some bullets (either for reliability in feeding or for accuracy).

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
It is an Xtreme bullet, 124 grain RN.. Typically, the COL comes out to about 1.142 to 1.144. Increasing it to 1.150 would only lessen the pressure and make it a weaker round, correct?

I can bump it up, but when I fired 4.7 and 4.8, I felt no difference.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
The data that you are using is for this bullet here:

It's kind of a strange bullet, a reverse hollow point but very popular for reloaders either looking for accuracy or even 9mm Major loads. I use it for both. For my high Minor loads I have found that going to 4.6gr of HP-38/231 loaded at a length of 1.160" gets me to that point with a CZ 75 based pistol. That is .2gr above listed max data at the 1.150" length. The question would be what are you achieving with your loads and your powder of choice? Your pistol, a SR9, is a bit stiff when new, I know I have owned one for years. Mine cycles easier than it did originally as the recoil spring and all the other things that come into play have been broken in with the thousands of rounds I have shot in that gun. The bullet you are using is unknown to me so anything I can compare to is pointless.

Having a chronograph or borrowing one will be a great way to find where you are before jumping to a heavier loading.