Ruger 22/45 lite is just junk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

edteach

Bearcat
Let me say I carry every day an SR9c and have several Ruger guns. I love them all, but this 22/45 lite is just a piece of junk. First off the mags stick in the mag well. The mags are also guided in by pieces of plastic that if you don't have it just right bind up on the way in. If you buy one do not take it apart unless you want to have problems. The plastic does not work well with this design. If your not practiced on the disassembly and assembly of the mark 2 this will make you pull your hair out. Its a nice idea but its a piece of junk as designed. Its way over priced and does not deserve the name Ruger on it. My Walther p22 is 5x the gun this is and I am not really taken with it.

talon1961

Bearcat
I have a 22/45 lite and love it. After a little bit of taking it apart and putting it back together, it's not any problem at all, maybe a 5 minute process at the most, and that includes a quick cleaning. I installed a tandemkross magazine disconnect bushing and the mag's drop freely, and the disassembly/reassembly is much easier. I have a SR9c, SR40C, and SR22, along with this MIII22/45 lite and don't have a complaint about any of them.

Halftail

Bearcat
talon1961 said:
I have a 22/45 lite and love it. After a little bit of taking it apart and putting it back together, it's not any problem at all, maybe a 5 minute process at the most, and that includes a quick cleaning. I installed a tandemkross magazine disconnect bushing and the mag's drop freely, and the disassembly/reassembly is much easier. I have a SR9c, SR40C, and SR22, along with this MIII22/45 lite and don't have a complaint about any of them.
What is that sight you have there? I cant quite read what it says..

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
WIN_20150418_200800_zpshfrjtnwv.jpg

I love mine

talon1961

Bearcat
Halftail said:
talon1961 said:
What is that sight you have there? I cant quite read what it says..

Sorry I have not been on the forum in a few days. It's a Sightmark Mini Shot Pro red dot. It works great for me.

edteach

Bearcat
You are correct Hal. I took it apart and back together again over a month and its not as bad as when I started. Still a pain but not too bad now. I also bought the bushing and replaced that stupid mag safety and the mag drops free and goes in normal now. The gun shoots well and its not as nice at my Marklll but its still a nice gun. The mag safety was a bit of a pain when the safety lever fell out and the spring and ball fell out. After some searching I found it and got it back together. I paid 335 for it, but I see some places asking 500, that is just crazy money.

Wow. I remember giving $350 for my MK II Stainless 5.5 bull barrel years ago. Prices sure have come up. Wish I would have kept it. Will cost about $550 +/- to replace.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
It is a shame, that many of the "LITE" pistols are encountering some operating issues, and it's always encouraging to read that others have been having little to no problems. The thing that I've noticed most when test firing any of the "LITE" pistols after doing any work on one, is the amount of muzzle jump that they can have. Being such a light weight gun, it's very understandable, and most likely why some invest in muzzle brakes and compensators. For a light-weight version, I've been selling quite a few of the SR 22 pistols and these little guns just plain SHOOT, and shoot well.

louiethelump

Buckeye
Well, they are a 1949 design, and are probably not for everyone. There is a learning curve in taking it apart and getting it back together. you may want to stick to a revolver. Just don't take it apart.................. :)

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
louiethelump said:
Well, they are a 1949 design, and are probably not for everyone. There is a learning curve in taking it apart and getting it back together. you may want to stick to a revolver. Just don't take it apart.................. :)

No, the Ruger .22 pistols have come a very long way and can hardly be even remotely compared to the 1949 era RST 4 Standard, when it was the only option available. These pistols are made so they can be taken apart, and the manual that has been included with EVERY Ruger .22 pistol since 1949 has shown how to do it. The only thing that the manual doesn't provide is "PATIENCE". :D

louiethelump

Buckeye
"..very long way and can hardly be even remotely compared to the 1949 era RST 4 Standard.."

really? I find the insides of MY current guns just about the same as the old first model standard I have with the exception of a few minor modifications. (the replacement of the little spring clip on the inside is one improvement, but calling a spring clip being changed to a wire under tension does not make them fundamentally different in my book) Maybe you have a different modern model than I. The latest I have is the MKIII that still requires the same take down procedure as the old one, other than it is a little HARDER to do with the magazine safety. Not that it is a problem, and it does require that you learn how to do it. What has changed in your guns so that they "can hardly be even remotely compared to the 1949 era RST 4 Standard"?

I have been out of the business of fixing them for others for a few years and I must have missed something and would love to learn.

They are one of my favorite guns and I have made quite a bit of money over the years when I was doing this type of work, putting them back together for people. They most often came in a bag and were affectionetly called "brother in law" guns locally as most owners did not want to admit they had taken them apart and could not put them back together. It was "I loaned this to my brother in law and this is how I got it back" or some variation of that.

Great guns in my opinion.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Bolts, triggers, hammers, bolt stop assembly added to the Mark II pistols for the last round hold open, disconnector change, bolt stop assembly plunger and spring added, LCI slots in the left side of the receiver, the addition of a 1911 style magazine release, different sear springs for the 22/45 guns, magazine safety disconnect. These changes have been evolving for the last 45 years that I have been, and still am, working on these pistols. And you haven't noticed any of these changes?

louiethelump

Buckeye
Of course. But those are not fundamental changes in the gun and do not make it any easier to take apart and put back together. The assembly of the gun is basically the same as it was and take down and re-assembly is the same other than the hassle with the magazine safety. It has NEVER been a problem once you learn it. That was my point that you differed with.

My early standard model shoots just as well as a brand new one.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
louiethelump said:
Of course. But those are not fundamental changes in the gun and do not make it any easier to take apart and put back together. The assembly of the gun is basically the same as it was and take down and re-assembly is the same other than the hassle with the magazine safety. It has NEVER been a problem once you learn it. That was my point that you differed with.

My early standard model shoots just as well as a brand new one.

You, obviously don't know what you're talking about.

louiethelump

Buckeye
Full Definition of FUNDAMENTAL

a : serving as an original or generating source : primary <a discovery fundamental to modern computers>
b : serving as a basis supporting existence or determining essential structure or function : basic
a : of or relating to essential structure, function, or facts : radical <fundamental change>; also : of or dealing with general principles rather than practical application <fundamental science>
b : adhering to fundamentalism
: of, relating to, or produced by the lowest component of a complex vibration
: of central importance : principal <fundamental purpose>
: belonging to one's innate or ingrained characteristics : deep-rooted <her fundamental good humor>

Items showing as red are my doing.

Adding a magazine safety is not a fundamental change in the gun or how it works or disassembles. They are easily removed and the gun is better for it without the magazine safety.

changing a spring clip to a tension wire is not a fundamental change in the gun or how it works or disassembles.

Adding a loaded chamber indicator is not a fundamental change in the gun or how it works or disassembles. It adds a few small parts, makes the gun more expensive, makes cleaning more difficult, and is easily removed with no function difference in the gun.

And so on with the other changes that have been made that you mention.

Today's Ruger MK series 22 autos are FUNDAMENTALLY the same as they were in 1949. You still have to take it apart by removing the nearly identical main spring housing that is attached to the pin that holds it all together. The upper receiver still has to be tapped off of the new guns until it loosens up on the all steel guns (comes off the plastic frames easier) and then has to be tapped back on to get it to line up. The hammer still has to be in just the right place and the strut STILL can get caught behind a pin in the frame if you are not careful, and you can STILL get the strut in the wrong place and the gun will not work. The BRAND NEW Ruger 22 disassembly and reassembly STILL is the main cause of grief to the users of the gun that are either not mechanical or patient.

I maintain that the gun is FUNDAMENTALLY unchanged. And that is how it should be. The MK series of guns are just fine the way they are.

But, what do I know? OBVIOUSLY I don't know what I am talking about. BUT, I DO know what FUNDAMENTAL means. I am not sure you do my fellow Ruger lover. I wish you the best and am amused by this nit picking but am now bored with it. I am going to go outside and shoot my Ruger 22. :)

gkgeiger

Bearcat
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
What would be the hate part?
The assembly process. I'm a 1911 guy. After my first shooting I watched the Ruger video on dis-assembly and re-assembly and after an hour of swearing and sweating I was ready to give it away. I boxed it up and sent it to Majestic Arms and had their 3.2 conversion kit installed. Now I can do a half assed cleaning without the sweating/swearing, but a field strip isn't any easier. I also like the fact that the mags now release. Also, I have too many FTE and FTF issues. The love part is that with my Red Dot I can hit the bullseye regularly at 10 yards even with 72 yr old eyes. I currently own Colt, Springfield, Kimber, Browning, and Sig.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
Bought my 22/45 Lite a month and a half ago and installed the Tandemkross hammer bushing after one trip to the range. Until i removed the MDS it was horrible, but now it is really pleasant to shoot, accurate reliable and runs well on most any ammo except the CCI Quiet.

gkgeiger said:
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
What would be the hate part?
The assembly process. I'm a 1911 guy. After my first shooting I watched the Ruger video on dis-assembly and re-assembly and after an hour of swearing and sweating I was ready to give it away. I boxed it up and sent it to Majestic Arms and had their 3.2 conversion kit installed. Now I can do a half assed cleaning without the sweating/swearing, but a field strip isn't any easier. I also like the fact that the mags now release. Also, I have too many FTE and FTF issues. The love part is that with my Red Dot I can hit the bullseye regularly at 10 yards even with 72 yr old eyes. I currently own Colt, Springfield, Kimber, Browning, and Sig.

The reassembly proccess was the main issue experienced by me as well. It was my KMK678GC (stainless MKII slab side target). Over a 72 hour period, I watched many videos, and made several attempts to get it back together. The first time I thought I had it, but the bolt was locked up and I couldn't pull the bolt or the trigger. I thought I screwed it up. Finally got it apart again and reassembled. I couldn't tell you how many attempts I made. A gun should not be that difficult to reassemble. I call it the Rubix cube of pistols. Lol. Then one of the doggy ears broke on the recoil spring rod. When dealing with their customer service, they tried to replace my gun with a MKIIII, which I eventually did. Big mistake.

cjs1945 said:
Bought my 22/45 Lite a month and a half ago and installed the Tandemkross hammer bushing after one trip to the range. Until i removed the MDS it was horrible, but now it is really pleasant to shoot, accurate reliable and runs well on most any ammo except the CCI Quiet.

https://www.tandemkross.com/mobile/Steel-Hammer-Bushing-for-Mark-III-and-2245-Pistols_p_9.html

I'm usually against replacing parts in a gun, but wow! That looks like a NICE upgrade. Why the heck didn't Ruger build it like this in the first place?