How tough is a SR9?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Just wondering, suppose I stuck my loaded SR9E in the freezer overnight and then got it out and quickly went out back to shoot it? Would it function normally?

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
57K said:
Just speculating, but Ruger's polymer compound should be as impervious to freezing as anyone elses. Actually, I can't think of a more rigid polymer frame.

Try it! It ain't gonna hurt a thing. :wink:

I was actually thinking more about the metal parts than the frame. Anyway, I sent a query off to Ruger asking if it will function normally in sub zero temps. I know that some lubes will usually thicken up, etc. so I hope they don't give me some boilerplate about that kind of thing.

Edit: Just got a reply from Ruger. They either don't know or ain't tellin'. :roll:

Response:
Thank you for your inquiry. I'm sorry, I am not able to give you any information on how the pistol was tested, in different temperatures, etc. I haven't heard of any of our customers having issues or needing repair after using the firearms in extremely cold temperatures, and I do not have any advice on any particular special care that would need to be taken. Thank you again for your email.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
DixieBoy said:
I can understand wanting to know if your pistol will take truly serious abuse.

When I got hooked on the Springfield XDm pistols in .45acp, it didn't hurt that one of the shooting shows on
Midway's "Wednesday Night At The Range" was doing an ongoing torture test of these same pistols. I can't remember if they froze one or not, but I do remember them dragging them behind a big SUV, driving over the pistols, burying them in dirt, then rinsing them out, then throwing them into a pond, etc.

It's nice to know if your pistol can take serious abuse. Gunny, let everyone know if you try this experiment? - DixieBoy

I think there is a way to ease up on this. Freeze it with an empty mag, then manually rack the slide and dry fire/snap caps to see if there's any issues with a sticking firing pin or other mechanical issues. Then proceed to live fire in the next stage. I just don't want to risk breaking it. I've searched the web, and haven't found a single test of this kind on the SR9 series.

I know this pistol is not a military grade gun, so I don't expect it to handle abuse like an old GI 1911 but I'd hope it's not too delicate.

Taterman

Buckeye
Good question Gene and I hope an answer is found. My wife leaves our SR9 in the trunk for a while before going to the range for her women's league. Sometimes in the winter it might be 10 degrees out +/-. So far no issues but it does get to warm up for 15 minutes or so before she shoots it. No problems so far it's already in a warming process.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Freezing it won't hurt anything. The problems may be if you use a lube that thickens excessively at low temperature or if water gets into it and freezes so it immobilizes some parts. Otherwise, freeze away. When you warm it up be sure to wipe off the condensation so none of the non-stainless steel parts get rusty.

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
DixieBoy said:
I can understand wanting to know if your pistol will take truly serious abuse.

When I got hooked on the Springfield XDm pistols in .45acp, it didn't hurt that one of the shooting shows on
Midway's "Wednesday Night At The Range" was doing an ongoing torture test of these same pistols. I can't remember if they froze one or not, but I do remember them dragging them behind a big SUV, driving over the pistols, burying them in dirt, then rinsing them out, then throwing them into a pond, etc.

It's nice to know if your pistol can take serious abuse. Gunny, let everyone know if you try this experiment? - DixieBoy

I think it was the Springfield but on one of the shows they froze a handgun in a plastic tray of water overnight. The tray was completely frozen and they chipped the ice away, made sure the barrel was cleared, and then fired the handgun. They also did salt water, mud, and sand tests. Seems like there were more tests but don't remember for sure.

Rabon

Single-Sixer
I would certainly hope so as the temp in your freezer is higher than typical winter temps in areas known for cold winter temps.

Zebraranger

Single-Sixer
I would think it would function just fine, I've owned a Walther P99 for a few years now and remember a Walther promotional video showing it functioning after being frozen in a block of ice. Just did a search on Youtube and found it and a 2nd one that someone else did.
Here's the links.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywhOVshM60w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnIXsF1Ibsw