Shooting Low Left

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jkon

Bearcat
Dagnabbit...shooting low and left with my new Ruger LC9S. I know it is me and not the gun. What is so frustrating is that I can shoot my Ruger SR22 with tremendous accuracy. I have dry fired the LC9S many a time. Wife even puts the old dime coin on the front sight trick and I have no problem. I know about jerking the trigger and the right amount of index finger on the trigger. I also know it's me because I have shot the LC9S using a good handgun rest and I can shoot well using the rest. So...do these guns naturally want to dull down and left when shooting them? Do I have to fight that force or is it still me jerking the trigger or what? Thanks all!

OldePhart

Blackhawk
The LC9s has a very short grip (front to back). I found that when I pulled the trigger the fleshy part of my palm at the base of the trigger finger was pushing the gun left. There is less of this if you are just using the very tip of the pad of your finger on the trigger. At least, that worked for me.

Also, if you are using the grip extension try shooting it without the extension. The extension actually makes the gun work less well for some folks.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
jkon said:
Dagnabbit...shooting low and left with my new Ruger LC9S. I know it is me and not the gun. What is so frustrating is that I can shoot my Ruger SR22 with tremendous accuracy. I have dry fired the LC9S many a time. Wife even puts the old dime coin on the front sight trick and I have no problem. I know about jerking the trigger and the right amount of index finger on the trigger. I also know it's me because I have shot the LC9S using a good handgun rest and I can shoot well using the rest. So...do these guns naturally want to dull down and left when shooting them? Do I have to fight that force or is it still me jerking the trigger or what? Thanks all!

Here's what I would suggest: Set up a digital camera to take a hi-res video close up of your gun and hand as you shoot a few rounds, then upload it to your computer so you can watch/enlarge it in slo-mo or one frame at a time. Instant replays are valuable tools for diagnosing problems. :)

louchia

Single-Sixer
could too little finger on trigger , assuming you are right handed or too much if you are left handed.
Another possibility is tightening the finger as the trigger is pulled.

kwh

Bearcat
I have small hands and even with sights adjusted I shoot low and left with my Kahr CM9 and and Taurus G111. Does not happen with the Ruger SR9, SR22 or Walther .380 PP. What works for me on small pistols is to use way more of the trigger finger even if to 2nd digit. This means I need to hold the grip more towards the base of my gun hand (right) thumb. Also I no longer place my left index finger over the front of the trigger guard. That is just me,but I would bet if you experiment with different hand ,finger placements & grip strengths while actually firing at the range you will find your "sweet spot". 2 shots at 7 yards is all I need to tell if I need to change position. Dry firing did not help me either.

Bearcat

Blackhawk
LC9s are hard to shoot with much accuracy at any distance. They are not really built for that. They are close quarter, self-defense weapons. We used to call such pieces "Belly Guns", back in the old days when we carried a Colt Cobra or S&W Cheif's Specials......

Hairy Clipper

Bearcat
OldePhart said:
The LC9s has a very short grip (front to back). I found that when I pulled the trigger the fleshy part of my palm at the base of the trigger finger was pushing the gun left. There is less of this if you are just using the very tip of the pad of your finger on the trigger. At least, that worked for me.

Also, if you are using the grip extension try shooting it without the extension. The extension actually makes the gun work less well for some folks.

I had some trigger time yesterday on an LC9s and had the same problem as described above. Big fleshy hands do not help this much. LC9s functioned flawlessly and the trigger is excellent for a striker fired gun. I will not hesitate suggesting one for a carry gun. Groups size made me wonder why I would consider anything else.

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
Forgive me if I (or someone else) already posted this...
I had the low left issue with my LC9 and LC9s, but not with a full sized P89. I'm right handed. My first thought was anticipation of recoil, but was able to disprove that fairly quickly.
Then I found an article on line that explained what I was doing. I went to the range this morning, and lo and behold, problem solved! I can;t fiunbd that article, but will try to explain the issue I was having.
1. Extend your right arm in front of you, chest high, palm down.
2. Make a fist, but don't squeeze it very hard.
3. Watch your last two knuckles (pinkie and ring) and squeeze hard.
Did those knuckles turn down?
Now turn your hind into a shooting position and squeeze again, Those two fingers were actually twisting the gun low left in my hand.
Problem solved.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
my step son had the same issue. he blamed the pistol until I shot the center out of his target with his gun. he seemed to have forgotten the importance of trigger control.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
57K said:
Shooting low-left is about like the common cold for right-handed shooters. Since your 9c has adjustable sights, that might help. IMO, it's more about grip and trigger pull. Try applying a little less pressure with your shooting hand and compensate by applying a bit more from your off-hand. Practice trigger control/squeeze with a proper grip

Hopefully, all of us shoot with a partner whenever possible, so in that case your shooting partner can load a snap cap at random locations in the mag. If you're jerking the trigger rather than squeezing, that's certainly one way to go about it.

Dry-fire and put as many live rounds through the pistol as possible. Myself, I love the SRs and take no notice of brand snobbery. I know my Srs will shoot with any of them and better than a lot of them. The one thing that works for me with a well broken in SR is that I can find the trigger's release point after take-up. I was never quite able to do that with the Glocks I've owned. I never modified my Glocks and I tried the Ghost 3# "Ultimate" TBR in both my SRs. Now it sits idle. The only mod to my SRs is the 20# Stainless gude & Spring from Galloway for the +P level handloads I frequently shoot. :wink:

I agree. own a G20 because Ruger does not make a 10mm semi auto. the more I shoot it the more I like all five of my SR's. I have stood next to several shooters with big buck pistols who could not come close to what I could do with my Rugers. a couple of them wanted to know what I was shooting and were quite impressed when I allowed them an opportunity to try mine.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I've struggled with low and left all my life. I know I have a flinch that keeps trying to get reestablished, never thought about the two bottom fingers causing a problem. So, how do you prevent them from doing that?

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
Practice, and just being aware that those pesky two fingers could be the problem solved it for me.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
rugerguy211 said:
Forgive me if I (or someone else) already posted this...
I had the low left issue with my LC9 and LC9s, but not with a full sized P89. I'm right handed. My first thought was anticipation of recoil, but was able to disprove that fairly quickly.
Then I found an article on line that explained what I was doing. I went to the range this morning, and lo and behold, problem solved! I can;t fiunbd that article, but will try to explain the issue I was having.
1. Extend your right arm in front of you, chest high, palm down.
2. Make a fist, but don't squeeze it very hard.
3. Watch your last two knuckles (pinkie and ring) and squeeze hard.
Did those knuckles turn down?
Now turn your hind into a shooting position and squeeze again, Those two fingers were actually twisting the gun low left in my hand.
Problem solved.
Amazing, beautifully simplified, explanation; worth a million bucks! (And also explains why sometimes magazine "pinky" extensions on small pistols make them shoot worse for some folks.)

Latest posts