Mark III 22/45 trigger stop

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mr k

Bearcat
Being new to firearms, I recently attended a Just Beyond Basics class at our gun club. Two of the instructors fired my Mark III and said the ' trigger has too much pull after it fires' and I should consider getting a trigger stop installed. They said this would improver accuracy. My question is, what is a trigger stop and how does it work, and
will it have any adverse affects.

shad

Bearcat
A trigger stop is usually a very small set-screw inserted in the trigger, that can be adjusted in/out, and when adjusted properly, STOPS the trigger's travel just after the break. Being a long time machinist, I did my own, using a 4-40 set-screw. The trigger needs to be removed, drilled and tapped, going front to back, about halfway up from the bottom tip, so that the set-screw projects out the back of the trigger and can contact the frame inside the trigger guard. Once you get it adjusted, it works great. However, IMO, if you are gently "squeezing" the trigger during use, and not jerking it, the over travel should have less effect on accuracy. I wouldn't deem it necessary unless you are doing serious target shooting.

loaded round

Hunter
I installed a wide target trigger with a trigger stop in my MK II HB target pistol. Very easy job if you study the schematic first and it made all the difference in the world in my trigger pull. Check out Brownell's for a replacement trigger w/trigger stop.

mr k

Bearcat
Went to the range with my new trigger stop installed and my grouping are much better. This was a very worth while change to my Mark III

mr k

Bearcat
GUNSMITH AT MY LOCAL CLUB MADE AND INSTALLED MY TRIGGER STOP. LOVE IT

Steve Myers

Single-Sixer
Set screw in face of trigger. Designed to stop over travel (movement of trigger to rear after sear breaks/gun fires) of the trigger - which can throw off the shot during follow through.

Volquartsen makes adjustable triggers, and kits that include the adjustable trigger. I just installed a kit with one in my MKII Govt Model this evening. It has the trigger face screw to adjust over travel as well as the top screw to adjust pretravel, which is the forward amount of movement of the trigger to get into position to reset the sear and fire again.

Idea is, less trigger movement/slop, less gun movement and therefore better groups.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Pre and over-travel screws can easily be added to pretty much any trigger, including the Ruger factory triggers. When modifying the Ruger factory trigger, I normally drill out the pivot pin hole and then turn a steel bushing for the trigger pivot pin. The Ruger triggers are often found to have an elliptical pivot pin hole and a steel sleeve will correct that condition. Also, rather than have just a small portion of the pre-travel adjustment screw contact the frame, as the Volquartsen trigger does, I'd rather have the whole front face of the pre-travel screw make full contact.

Steve Myers

Single-Sixer
Just added a Volq accuracy kit to my MKII Govt. Included a trigger with both pre- and overtravel stops. It helped a good bit with accuracy

Latest posts