ruger p 90 special edition

Help Support Ruger Forum:

muzzyy

Bearcat
hi iam interested in buying a ruger p 90 specisl edition asking price 400.00 is this a good price i know they dont make them anymore, can you still get parts? thanks mike

roylt

Hunter
No you can not get parts. Also the special addition guns were actually the cheap models because they were mixed parts and only came with one mag.

Just because you can't get parts doesn't mean you shouldn't buy it though. I wouldn't pay 400 bucks but if a deal can be made go for it.

toysoldier

Hunter
P-90's regularly show up on gunbroker as "kits"---confiscated firearms "destroyed" by destroying the frame, with the remaining parts sold online. I've picked up two, one with barrel/slide assembly, one without. I'm set for spare parts.

The P-90 is a good gun, but a dated design that shouldn't command a $400 price.

Al James

Hunter
Most of the special editions were manual safety blued models. They appear to have used SS model [lighter color] frames and blued slides. As Roy said they only came with one mag. They usually shipped in a black box. If your 400 is OTD that is not to out of line although I would rather be closer to $350. If you really want a P90 and are willing to pay $400 you could find a nice SS Decock only for not much more or less. Good luck!

Great guns BTW! Very accurate and reliable.

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
Guess maybe I'm too stubborn, hard-headed and any other such adjective you can come up with. I will not part with my KP90DC. Sure it's a "dated gun" but so is the 1911, the Ruger SA's and the Stevens 311. So I search gunbroker for spare parts. :wink:

Al James

Hunter
You are not alone in adoring the P90! They are very accurate and reliable guns. Most people do not recognize or realize what kind of accuracy the P90 is capable of. Most are to busy being gun snobs with a pistol that costs 2-3 times as much all while doing nothing better than the P90. The only hang up on the P90 and all other P guns is the parts situation IMO. I have written Ruger several times and have not even gotten a response. :oops:

tech4064

Bearcat
FWIW, I paid about $435 for my blued P90( New) back 2008. It has been a great gun and currently sits in my nightstand. It has fed every type ammo I put in it, including several brands of premium HP, usually 230gr.

So far, I haven't needed any replacement parts, but as others have said, they can be hard to find if you need them.

I wouldn't let the fact that it is out of production stop me from buying another one, but it would have to be closer to $300 than $400, especially if it only came with one mag.

BTW, CDNN Sports has new factory P90 magazines for 29.99, if that is a consideration for you.

http://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines.html?brand=2118&caliber=259

Mag-force

Single-Sixer
I'm with these guys i think it's a good choice. I bought one back in early 90's and it shoots great and right on the money. 350.00 would be a better price.

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
Price will vary somewhat depending on where or whether it's blue or stainless or the safety/dc or dc only. Generally in my area a KP90DC will sell for more than other versions. All depending on condition, of course. YMMV

dakota1911

Buckeye
That magazine link is nice. I bought one new in 91. Nice pistol. Fairly accurate and dependable but I never carried it. Never could bring myself to sell it.

altajava

Bearcat
I've put a couple thousand rounds through my P90DC. I put Houges on it and it was EDC for a couple years. I changed the recoil spring but what other spare parts should I have accumulated?

Al James

Hunter
Razor said:
Great pistol, but you can find better than $400.

Good quality and condition complete P guns are not getting any cheaper:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=514637737

With shipping and FFL fees this one would have been $510 OTD for me :shock:

welder

Buckeye
altajava said:
I've put a couple thousand rounds through my P90DC. I put Houges on it and it was EDC for a couple years. I changed the recoil spring but what other spare parts should I have accumulated?

I'd say a mag latch spring and extractor even though I have never seen one fail personally. I have three P90's and like others here, check Gunbroker for spare parts etc. I have a parts kit for my P89 and P95's, everything except the frame, but haven't won one for the P90 yet. They show up from time to time and hopefully I'll get the timing right and be able to pick one up. I do like my P90 and P97, both good guns and very reasonably priced.