What Do You All Think About the SR9c ????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Nalapombu

Bearcat
Hey all,

I am here in Texas and am going to take my CCW class soon and get my permit down here. I have been without my permit for a while since moving from Ohio. My Primary back then was a Glock 19 and Bersa Thunder .380.

I had told myself that the next handgun I would buy would be a J-Frame to give me the option of pocket carry on occasion. Well I was talking about some carry pistols on another forum that would also be a good choice and someone suggested the Ruger SR9c. I had never paid much attention to these pistols and didn't know much about them.
Just for kicks I looked at some pics and watched a few videos of them. I was interested now. I got a pen and paper and wrote down the measurements of my Bersa Thunder and the SR9c to see how they compared. To my utter shock the SR9c was actually a tad bit smaller in some areas. It certainly wasn't bigger than my Bersa like I fully expected it to be. It even weighs about the same as my Bersa. OK, now I was really interested in them.

I went to the local Gander Mountain and had a look. Once I handled and played with it for a few minutes I decided to slip it in my pocket to see how it fit. In my cargo shorts it fit fine. Now I wouldn't want to carry it all the time that way, but it can be done.

What really got me looking at these 9mm autos like these was my nephew buying his first handgun, a Glock 26. I had been looking at the single stack autos like the one from Walther, the Springfield XDs and the LC9. When I handled the SR9c I felt like there wouldn't be a need to get one of these single stack autos when the SR9c is out there and feels so good in the hand, fits in a pocket and has a following that really like them.

SO...I'd like to ask you guys and gals what you think of the SR9c. I think it feels much better in the hand than the Glock 26 does. When you look at the price of the SR9c, it makes a pretty darn good argument for getting one. I've seen them new for just under $400. What is the best price you all have seen for one, either blue or stainless? I really don't care about what finish it has.

Right now the ones on my very short list are:

1. Ruger SR9c
2. FN FNS 9 Compact
3. Kahr CW9
4. S&W Shield 9mm

I have the KAHR CW9 on there just because of how thin and light it is and how really good it feels in my hand. The same with the S&W Shield. It too felt really good in my hand. I don't think either of those are in the same league as the first 2.

What do you all think?

I'd like to hear your thoughts and experiences with the SR9c over the years. Where does it rate for you as a carry gun?

Any info or opinions you want to add, feel free.

Thanks all.

Nalajr

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
pocket a 9c? my pockets are not that big. my 9c and mostly my 40c go in either a small belt holster or a MIC holster inside the waistband. pretty much a situational decision. if I need to use a pocket I have an LCP and an XDS that work.

talon1961

Bearcat
I have both the SR9C and the SR40C. They are great shooting pistols. The 9C my daughter has is probably the most accurate compact pistol I've shot. It just absolutely flat out hits where you are aiming! I plan on using my 40 for my carry gun, and it is identical in size to the 9C and they both use the same holsters.

Al James

Hunter
The SR guns have grown on me. I actually enjoy the entire line. I have carried an SR9c daily for the last 3 years. I LOVE IT. Just a great gun for me. Let us know what you end up with!

Nalapombu

Bearcat
I am kinda surprised by the lack of responses. I thought that the SR9c would have a good following here at the Ruger Forum.

Nalajr

Koyote

Bearcat
Damn it Hawkeye, every time I see one of your post, I have to restrain myself from smashing the screen on my laptop because of your avatar!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr LOL

E

Single-Sixer
It's a great choice for IWB but awfully heavy for pocket carry. Good sights and trigger for a compact pistol; it is as easy to shoot accurately as many full-size service pistols. The slide is pretty stiff to pull back, which may or may not be a deal breaker depending on your own needs. For a double stack, it feels a lot closer to a single stack.

Nalapombu said:
I am kinda surprised by the lack of responses. I thought that the SR9c would have a good following here at the Ruger Forum.

Nalajr

Well? Maybe the lack of responses indicates a lack of enthusiasm.

The SR9/40 is an inexpensive pistol that is designed to shoot every time. If a feller has one that does that, and you expect nothing more, then what more can you ask for? Everything is relative. The SR9/40 fits me much better than any Glock. But the S&W Shield fits me better than the SR9/40.

My two plastic SR's functioned perfectly. I've personally witnessed others that didn't work so well. And that was after a period of time where they had been working perfectly.

So, if you like the SR9c, and it fits you ergonomically as well as fits your needs, then it's as easy as picking one car over another.

Personally, I've ridded myself of these little plastic guns. Not just Ruger, but others as well. Just differences in preferences.

WAYNO.

wlhump

Bearcat
My daughter has had an SR9c for several years now. I have found it to be an excellent pistol. Nice trigger and accurate. I have shot smaller Glocks and some M&Ps and the trigger on the SR9c is SUBSTANTIALLY better. For a smaller pistol, it is still comfortable as a "range" gun.

She liked it so much, we went out and bought her a SR1911 for Christmas. Love having a daughter (and son) who love to shoot. Taught both of them to do so around the age of 6 and have been shooting as a family for the last 20 years. :D

We have nearly 1000 rounds through it now and the only time it has malfunctioned is with a new shooter who had a serious case of limp wrist. It flat out eats anything we feed it and is very accurate.

Waiting to sell my pickup to get one of these for myself. Carrying my P220 SAO is OK, but it does get a little heavy at times. :wink:

Pick up the SR9c and don't look back. You will love it.

Freedomrocks

Bearcat
My wife is in the market for her first concealable handgun. Must be 9mm, and not so small that she is stuck at the 7 yard targets, not able to compete with us at 50 feet or even 25 yards. Concealable but yet a range gun - and it must fit her small hand right and feel good holding it, something that my Springfield's and M&Ps do not. She loved the new Walther CCP at the gun show, but buyer reviews are coming in and its not looking good for Walther's new lemon. Based on reviews I have read, I'm going to bring her to the Ruger booth at the next gun show, and have her try the SR9c.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
57K said:
When my shooting partner bought his after shooting the SR9 I bought directly from Ruger to replace the P-89 I sent them, He intentionally tried to make it malfunction.

Personally, I don't know how to limp wrist a polymer frame pistol, much less an alloy or steel framed one, but my take is the polymer itself. There's a reason why Bill Ruger stressed their compound of glass reinforced nylon. Compare an SR9/40/45 to its Glock counterpart and if you see no difference, well, you're on your own. You probably won't want to look at Ruger's stainless cam-block/slide rails either. The only pistol that comes close are the XD/XDms.

My SP intentionally limp-wristed at 90 degree intervals throughout the circumference and he did it more times than he'd like to admit. Not one single malfunction.

The only reason I don't have an SR9c is because at 58, I'm fortunate enough to be able to look down and see my feet! I can and do appendix carry. That's another story, so google to your heart's content. Just make sure you read what Rob Pincus has to say on the matter.

That's just me though. I'm not fond of Glock triggers and to me the sights are the absolute worst I've ever used on a Combat pistol. Yes, I've owned a few Glocks going back to the G22 and the introduction of the .40 S&W cartridge (2 actually). Today I think back and I'm glad I survived because those pistols had very poor chamber support.

One thing that Ruger got wrong, IMO, was that if they knew there was going to be an SR9c, the SR9 should have had a 4.5" barrel like the P-Series rather than the 4.14". The Closest Glock slide is the G19 while the SR9 has the mag capacity of a G17. When they decided on a 4.14" barrel, they should have known that it would be much easier to carry with a 15 round mag.

But, if they'll bring out a 5" SR9 for Comp. & open carry, I'll forgive them, LOL! :wink:

Speaking of Glocks, I don't know if this is a known problem with the .40 Glock 23's, but it would sure give me 2nd thoughts.

A Kentucky police department has found a defect in their officer's sidearm. The Bardstown Police found hairline fractures on 12 of their Glock 23s. Captain Tom Roby told WDRB News, "At one point the gun would actually fall apart,".

Cpt. Roby said, over the years that pressure adds up as officers continually train with their weapons. Many even practice shooting on their off days. Roby explained that after the last round was fired the action should lock back, but "[the slide] wouldn't lock back and then basically the slide would fall off the front of the barrel if you tipped it down."

http://www.wdrb.com/story/29078319/bardstown-police-replacing-guns-after-dangerous-defects-found

Lateck

Single-Sixer
Nalapombu said:
Nalajr

The SR9c IS a great compact handgun. That has been stated hundreds of times here..... (Personally many times).

In the end is: What fits your hands and needs.
My SR9c is with me almost daily, but I do carry my LC9 & LCP too.

I would buy another SR9c in a heart beat if I needed to.

Lateck,

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I had one for a few years, good pistol. I ended up selling it and getting a Glock 26. I just like the Glock trigger better, and the fact that you can get a Storm Lake barrel for it. Also I already had a Glock 19, so it makes sense to be able to share mags and parts.

Erich

Single-Sixer
I have and frequently carry a SR9c. I also frequently carry a Kahr CM9. In the past, I've carried (in the pretty small 9mm category) Glock 26s, a Kahr PM9 Covert (that's the short PM frame with the mid-sized P9 slide assembly), a Rohrbaugh R9s, a CZ RAMI and a Walther PPS (to name the ones that spring to mind).

I find my SR9c to be the easiest of all of these to shoot rapidly and accurately. I like the trigger the best on it, too. It carries far better than usual for a double-stack in that the Ruger engineers appear to have put some real thought into making it thin. It is, however, pretty large for a "subcompact" 9mm - it's larger than the G26, for instance (tho not as thick or as clunky).

When I take newbies out to shoot, of all the subcompact 9mm pistols I mentioned above, the SR9c and the Glock 26s were the ones they shot best. I'm very pleased to have mine.

0322151333-1.jpg

1110141014.jpg

Hawkeye638

Bearcat
I have the SR40c and my wife and daughter both have the SR9c. All great guns with no problems so far. My SR40c is my EDC. I would not carry it if I did not trust it.
7386647986_1e2c34447d.jpg

98PK

Bearcat
LC9S- This one fits in pocket and will still group well at 25 yards.
I'm kind of enticed by that SR9E though.