sr9 failure to eject problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pshooks

Bearcat
i'm a fairly new shooter and decided to purchase the sr9 for a number of reasons, mostly because of the reviews and the ergonomics of the firearm. I live in Jamaica and ammo is restricted- what is purchased at the range has to be used at the range. There are also restrictions on how many rounds you can purchase so you are pretty well tied to using the range ammo. Unfortunately the main range for Kingston uses Winchester White Box ammo only so this is the only ammo that I can use on the range and in the local IPSC competitions. I'm getting failure to eject once in around every 25 rounds. I've tried other ammo and not had any problems. I contacted Ruger and they basically acknowledged that the sr9 doesn't "like" WWB ammo and pretty well left it at that. Is there a fix to this problem aside from trying to modify the extractor? Thanks any help would be appreciated.

palabman

Bearcat
How many rounds do you have through the pistol. If you do not have many it could be that the recoil spring just needs to loosen up a bit. This will happen when you shoot it more. If the problem continues and you can't find another brand of ammo, you may need to go with a different weight spring. Check http://gallowayprecision.com/. they may have reduced springs.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
I would not drop the spring weight. are you new to semi-auto? if so use a tighter grip and make sure your wrist is locked. the wrist must remain stiff so your pistol will work properly. a limp wrist acts as a shock absorber and you will get mal functions. also be sure the weapon is properly cleaned and lightly lubed.

pshooks

Bearcat
I'm stuck with the ammo. Since I've never had a problem with other ammo that I've tried I don't think my technique is flawed. The ammo is inconsistent- some rounds don't fire some casings are irregular I can understand why there is a problem. What I'm trying to figure out is why the Glock doesn't have the same problem with the same ammo. It most likely is a design difference with the extractor. I've considered the spring weight as well but the general consensus is that the spring is as light as it should be so I'm reluctant to do that. I'm going to polish the feed ramp and breech and will update after the next range test.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Glocks are generally slightly looser tolerances all around than many other pistols. I've found that my Glocks will function flawlessly with ammo that other pistols lift their noses at. LOL

My standard break in routine for a new gun used to be to buy a case of cheap crappy Wolf steel-cased ammo and blow through it in one or two range sessions. I stopped doing that after I got a case where about one or two cartridges out of every fifty had been seated with the bullet forced in at an angle and the case peeled down so far it exposed powder. But, when I was doing that every Glock I ever broke in never malfunctioned once. The only other pistol that was nearly as forgiving was my Para Ordnance LDA and it swallowed most of the ammo with only one or two misfeeds out of an entire case.

Randyh

Bearcat
I have had my SR9 since 2008. I shoot 1000's of WWB rounds with no issues. Had to send it in last year due to a malfunction. After getting it back from Ruger I was getting at least 3 to 4 FTE per magazine. It would cycle other ammo even my reload s, but not WWB. I tried changing the recoil spring, talked to customers service at Ruger and they sent me a " new" extractor. Replaced the extractor and still had the same problem. I can't have a defensive weapon that is not 100% reliable.
I did a lot of research and found that there was a design change with the extractor when they made the SR9c. The SR9 has a slight bevel at the bottom and I found that the extractor would jump over the rim leaving the brass behind. I ordered the SR9c extractor that doesn't have the bevel, and yes it fits perfectly. Ever since it has eaten everything I feed it.

websterz

Single-Sixer
Put on a good old war movie and spend a couple hours cycling the slide (no ammo of course). This will help the pistol to wear itself in and smooth things out. Don't dry fire unless you have an empty magazine inserted or have removed the magazine disconnect.

ddown

Bearcat
I bought a used 9E this week shop has a range put some lube on rails went out and had four stovepipes on 1st mag and 3 on second took it back inside and says what gives. They loaded it up and shot a full mag no problems. I have had a Sig and Glock before so was kind of shocked. I took it home cleaned completely including striker channel. Have shot over 200 rounds without a hiccup. These rugers are very sensitive to limpwristing of any sort, technique is your best way to combat this. I love mine I can shoot the Bull out of targets all day with it.

pshooks

Bearcat
Thanks for the advice Randyh. It sure took a lot of research to find that the sr9c extractor has a design change. Being basically the slide and the exact same size extractor there can't be a reason for Ruger to make that change unless there was a problem. Of course to admit that would be costly. I've switched mine out hope that I can get down to some reliable shooting from this otherwise great gun.