Glock 43 vs. LC9s Pro ?? Opinions please.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roylt

Hunter
I told myself no small guns because they are too flippy but find myself drawn to the new Glock and LC9s Pro.

What do you guys think?

Pros / cons ??

VictorLouis

Single-Sixer
I have shot the LC9, and the 's', both. Both have a stronger recoil impulse than comparable Kahr P-series I've owned. Yes, likely more muzzle-flip, also. From what I've seen in the YouBoob vids, and local board commentary, the G43 is still Glock...very easy in that regard. Without question, it's also got Glock's standard trigger. The LC9s blows it away in that regard. So, I suspect it's a matter of pick your poison.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
I had the LC9s. Aside from mine turning out to be a lemon I really liked it and carried it for a few months. It is very definitely a snappy little gun. Aside from some pretty severe QA issues it would be a nice gun, though. I loved the trigger...it's about as good as a Glock after the Glock has been slicked up some. Overall I was pretty sad it didn't work out but I lost faith in the model because of the issues. It went back to Ruger and they gave me an SP-101 in its place, so they treated me okay. Was very upset when I finally realized that I'd been confidently carrying what was basically a one- or two-shot pistol, though.

I immediately replaced it with a Glock 26 for most of my carry (though the SP-101 has been growing on me). The Glock 26 is much easier to shoot and, of course, reliable as the day is long, plus has a larger magazine. When they announced the G43 my first thought was I just had to have one but, honestly, I don't really have any trouble concealing the G26 (or the SP-101) IWB so I probably won't bother. If I do go for a G43 for those rare days when I have to wear a dress shirt tucked in I'll wait until they've been out a while to make sure they don't have any teething problems.

John

LarryBG

Bearcat
I have fired both. From my experience, I would buy the one that I could get the best deal on. They are equal to me.

roylt

Hunter
LarryBG said:
I have fired both. From my experience, I would buy the one that I could get the best deal on. They are equal to me.

Well I can get the Ruger for about 120 bucks cheaper than the Glock. The Glock does come with two mags where the Ruger only comes with one. That chaps me a bit. All semiautos should come with two if not 3 mags in my opinion.

The Glock seems to be more available too because of Ruger being slow on the release of guns as usual.

Thanks for the replies and I hope to see more.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
@hittman are you sure you aren't thinking of the G42? The G42 was their first attempt at a .380 and it did have some teething issues. Glock uses a pretty heavy slide so .380 didn't function well even with lighter springs unless, as you mentioned, really hot ammo was used. I've heard that the issues have been fixed but since I don't shoot .380 anyway it's not high on my radar.

The G43, on the other hand, was only announced a few weeks ago and I've yet to even see one in a store. The LGS I usually deal with said that they don't expect to seem them widely available until fall based on past history with Glock new product announcements vs. actual availability.

roylt

Hunter
The shop I talked to said he has gotten several in. I asked about down payment and he said he doesn't need it, if I want it he'll call and if I don't he'll call the next guy on his list.

I'm tempted to get one to try knowing I could resell if needed. The G43 I mean. He said he hasn't gotten the Ruger in yet.

Seems Ruger drags on new models. I think back to the 1911 wait.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
No experience with the "Pro" LC9-S but I own a regular lc9-s with the safety and mag disconnect. The safety and may disconnect is the reason I chose the lc9-s. I like those features in a gun. Also own an SR9 and that is my house gun.

I've owned so many guns I honestly have lost count. Several glocks, including the 26. Owned a Shield too. I know a few have complained about the lc9-s on here, but mine passes all tests required. Factory ammo, hollow point, reloads, ALL fire and eject fine.

As for the new Glock, the 42 had issues. I would wait to get the 43 until they are worked out. Cause one thing I know is Ruger will make ANY issues that MAY come up right. Glock doesn't have that rep. Call them with a problem and they blame the ammo, the shooter, the Earth's gravitational pull, global warming, or whatever else they can come up with. And they sure aren't going to let you exchange a gun at no cost to you.

roylt

Hunter
Sold a P-gun I had that was a safe model and called the dealer I had talked to before and he had a G43 in stock. Have not seen any LC9s Pros around so I got the 43. It was test fired the 11th and I bought it the 16th. Now that is what I call new. Got to the range today and found it to be shootable. Was a bit flippy but not bad at all really. Put 55 rounds down range hitting cardboard with all. No issues what so ever.

Now I need to find a holster and start practicing more.

Thanks for all the input and I may end up with a LC9sPro someday but this Glock is nice.

flaman

Bearcat
I considered the LC9 Pro, the Kahr CM9, and G43 as I searched for a new pocket pistol. I liked the LC9 Pro trigger the best and it also fit my hand better than the other two. That said, I own other Glocks and I absolutely love their simplicity and reliability.

I ended up choosing the LC9 Pro over the G43 for three reasons:
1) The LC9 Pro has much better ergonomics
2) Although the LC9 Pro is not that much smaller, I find it MUCH more concealable than the G43
3) The G43 only holds 6+1 rounds and... it's larger than the other pocket pistols in its class. In my opinion- I'd be better off buying a revolver; maybe a j-frame in .357. Glock is cocky enough to believe people will buy the G43 in spite of its less than desirable capacity of 6+1. And... for all of you who say Gaston will be selling plus one / plus two rounds mags soon- the G42 has been out for quite some time and they STILL don't offer any higher cap mags. Various plus one / plus two finger extensions for the G43 will be around soon- if they aren't available yet, but I'm not a fan of these because most that I've seen are used with a stock length mag spring- not something I'm a fan of.

Just my two cents...

roylt

Hunter
I find it funny when the round count is part of the conversation. A revolver would only be a 6 shooter unless you get a 686+ by smith then you would have 7. So 6+1 for the 43 is the same.

I may still end up with a Ruger but the fact it only comes with one mag is a big turn off.

For me personally, the glock was avail and the ruger wasn't.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
The biggest thing I like about Glock is, I can go to the Midway website (or hundreds of others) and right now order everything I need to rebuild any of their pistols other than frame or slide. Even if I want a new barrel, even if the pistol is one of the very first ones from the early 80's I can get what I need for it. As good as Ruger service is, I'll take cheap and available everywhere parts over that any day. I love my Single Six and 10/22, but sure am glad I replaced my P95 with a Glock 19!

So, you are saying these Glocks have parts that break down right and left so much that they offer zillions of replacement parts? Sounds to me like there is a 'problem' with Glocks. Personally, I prefer a gun built like a tank that doesn't need replacement parts.... like a P95 or P89.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
blume357 said:
So, you are saying these Glocks have parts that break down right and left so much that they offer zillions of replacement parts? Sounds to me like there is a 'problem' with Glocks. Personally, I prefer a gun built like a tank that doesn't need replacement parts.... like a P95 or P89.
Wow...that sets a record of some sort for putting words in someone's mouth! :lol:

FYI, the primary reason that there are so many aftermarket parts available for Glocks is because they are so popular with action pistol shooters. Given the low tolerance that competitive AP folks have for malfunctions that means something.

I've had a G26 since they came out. It has been totally troublefree, feeding any ammo I run thru it. It ain't "pretty" but it is what it is and it works.

In your position I'd definitely give serious consideration to the G43.

JMHO

blume357 said:

You could pretty much say the same thing about 1911s and ARs.

:?

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Never broken a part in my Glocks in several thousand rounds, but I like knowing that I have everything to fix one if I need it. I am a P-series fan, however Ruger made them walk the plank and now many people report Ruger is already running out of parts for them. I could totally understand if Ruger decided to stop fixing discontinued models for free, but when a company won't even keep parts for something they discontinued just a few years ago that causes me not to trust them.

I won't own a car or gun that I can't get parts for and fix myself. I agree that P-guns are built like tanks and just keep going and going. Seriously though, what would you do when a little spring finally breaks or loses its tension, or a crucial metal part just finally wears out? Ruger may be generous and offer to give you a discount on a new model, but that's cold comfort for a gun you have had for a long time and really like. I can't see you being happy about getting an SR9 to replace your P89.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
In over 25 years of owning and shooting guns, I've never had to replace anything other than springs. The vast market for Glock parts is simply there to feed the Glock frenzy. People buying what they don't need.