semi wadcutters in P97

Help Support Ruger Forum:

45ACP

Bearcat
Has anybody tried semi wadcutter loads in a P97? I have a couple P97s and am getting back into reloading. Used SWC a lot with my revolvers and love the bullet, but I have heard mixed reviews on using them with semi autos, some good some bad. I guess the type of magazine and bullet can affect it. Just wondered if others had used them with P97 or other .45 ACP Ruger. Thanks.

loaded round

Hunter
If you're talking about 200 gr LSWC's, that's just about all I shoot in my various 45's that includes both my Ruger P345 and SR1911. Sorry, but I don't own a P97 so I can't help you there.

45ACP

Bearcat
I am just trying to figure out if they feed OK in Ruger semi autos, before I buy a thousand bullets and load them up. if they work in a P345 and the 1911 style, should be good in the P97 I would think. Thanks.

loaded round

Hunter
I've used both the Speer and Laser Cast bullets and like them both although the Laser Cast bullets are much harder and lead less if you push them faster. However, the Speer bullets are a bit cheaper. Good shooting!

45ACP said:
I am just trying to figure out if they feed OK in Ruger semi autos, before I buy a thousand bullets and load them up. if they work in a P345 and the 1911 style, should be good in the P97 I would think. Thanks.

roylt

Hunter
I don't have much to say on it but I do know the 345 and 97 models use the same magazine so feeding from the mag should work based on the posts above.

mexicanjoe

Single-Sixer
Shoot then tar out of them!!! I shoot 200 gr SWC style along with button nose 185 in my P-97, and it loves them. I have trouble deciding between my P-90 and P-97 , as to my favorite. P series pistols are notorious for reliability , and ability to feed EVERYTHING !!!,, Order your bullets and post your best group. Don't forget to post load info too! Good luck!!!

One of my first "REAL" guns was a Ruger KP97DC. It exhibited accuracy of an astronomical level compared to the P89 it replaced. It would run great with 230 gr. FMJ. Also various brands of JHP. It hated any SWC I tried to run, but for me, that was OK at the time. It was not a hit-or-miss gun like my P89TH

At that time in my life I had never even heard of handloading. New to firearms, followed the manual very specifically. So to answer your question. They were factory.

Tommy F

Single-Sixer
My 97DAO is one of the most reliable pistols I own. Ran 185 and 200 SWC through it with newly acquired USA extended mags last week. Excellent carry pistol.

ken 66

Bearcat
I shoot a P97, P90 and Glocks and 1911's. The P97 is the only one I can't get the 425460 bullet, or the Lee equivalent, to shoot reliably. Loading short, like mentioned above helped, but still would fail to enter chamber maybe one out of three mags full. It shoots other bullets very well.

Ken

lpmich1

Bearcat
I've owned my P97 since it came out. Shot 1000's of rounds through it. I love it, but like "DA_TriggR4Ruger" said It only likes fmj round nose. I think it's the angle of the feed ramp