Ruger Sr9E opinions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GKC

Blackhawk
GunnyGene said:
RE: owners manual. There is a model specific parts breakdown for the 9E in the manual for the striker cover, but it's the same part number as the standard SR9, and as you know they are not the same, which could be a problem. They might be interchangeable, I just don't know.

I think I read a comment somewhere that Ruger is going to transition to this new cover for all the SR models.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
GKC said:
GunnyGene said:
RE: owners manual. There is a model specific parts breakdown for the 9E in the manual for the striker cover, but it's the same part number as the standard SR9, and as you know they are not the same, which could be a problem. They might be interchangeable, I just don't know.

I think I read a comment somewhere that Ruger is going to transition to this new cover for all the SR models.

That would make sense both from a user and a manufacturing pov. They'd save a couple cents on mfg cost.

tfeni52355

Bearcat
New to this forum and have enjoyed reading about the SR9E experience.

I bought one back in May and just got a chance last night (September) to run some rounds through it. Fist off I did not clean the gun before shooting. Took it out of the box and went to the range since I was pressed for time and the range was closing in an hour. Here's the results:

1) 50 rounds of Winchester White Box - 1 FTF Re-chambered and it did fire
2) 50 rounds of Magtech - No issues
3) 50 rounds of Blazer - No issues

I read elsewhere on the forum about an SR9 owner having FTF issues with WWB. So I am not sure if it is the ammo, gun or if it was dirty after 100 rounds or so when I got the FTF. I was rotating the ammo since I have three mags.

I just gave it a good cleaning and will run some more WWB through it to see if it is ammo specific. Also it looks like I need to remove the magazine disconnect and do some polishing .

Will let you know how it goes. Overall impression for a $300 gun is: Great everyday shooter!

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
tfeni52355 said:
New to this forum and have enjoyed reading about the SR9E experience.

I bought one back in May and just got a chance last night (September) to run some rounds through it. Fist off I did not clean the gun before shooting. Took it out of the box and went to the range since I was pressed for time and the range was closing in an hour. Here's the results:

1) 50 rounds of Winchester White Box - 1 FTF Re-chambered and it did fire
2) 50 rounds of Magtech - No issues
3) 50 rounds of Blazer - No issues

I read elsewhere on the forum about an SR9 owner having FTF issues with WWB. So I am not sure if it is the ammo, gun or if it was dirty after 100 rounds or so when I got the FTF. I was rotating the ammo since I have three mags.

I just gave it a good cleaning and will run some more WWB through it to see if it is ammo specific. Also it looks like I need to remove the magazine disconnect and do some polishing .

Will let you know how it goes. Overall impression for a $300 gun is: Great everyday shooter!

Welcome. I've run Blazer and WWB (as well as a variety of Hornady, and Gold Dot) and have yet to have any issues, even after 300 or so rounds without any cleaning at all. Seems to eat everything I feed it. As for lube on all my firearms, I really like the Hornady One Shot better than anything I've ever used in the last 50 years or so. It's a little pricey, but worth it imho.

6gun

Hunter
I'm no fan of black plastic semi-autos but I think if I were the money would be better spent buying a Glock or Sig which are lots more dependable rather than a Ruger.

Mike J

Hunter
6gun said:
I'm no fan of black plastic semi-autos but I think if I were the money would be better spent buying a Glock or Sig which are lots more dependable rather than a Ruger.

Now I'm curious. What data do you use to support your statement that Glock or Sig are more dependable than Ruger. I only own 2 Ruger semi-autos an old P94 in .40 & a SR 1911 but they have both been dependable. I have had some issue with the SR 1911 but that is because I didn't like where it was throwing brass & against the advice given here I messed with the extractor. I can't very well blame Ruger for that now can I. I don't have much experience with the SR series. I shot an early example once at a rental range & I've handled & dry fired a few since. They did have some issues early on but that is not unheard of with new models even including some offerings that Glock & Sig have come out with. In my experience Ruger semi-autos might not always have the best ergonomics & I believe accuracy might differ from one example to the next but they are usually very reliable as long as the owner hasn't decided to "improve" them & screwed them up.

GKC

Blackhawk
Mike J said:
What data do you use to support your statement that Glock or Sig are more dependable than Ruger.

In my own experience, the late Gen3 and Gen4 model Glocks had plenty of issues. SIGs aren't perfect either...actually, no machine made by man is, and while these guns are generally reliable, they have been known to have issues.

Mike J said:
In my experience Ruger semi-autos might not always have the best ergonomics & I believe accuracy might differ from one example to the next but they are usually very reliable as long as the owner hasn't decided to "improve" them & screwed them up.

I agree...plus Ruger has the best customer service in the industry, and if there are issues with your gun, they will take care of it.

Here's just one, recent example of why I like Ruger's service: I recently bought a 9E, and I was looking on the Ruger site to see if i could buy a recoil assembly, just to have as a spare on hand. I didn't see one available, so I sent Ruger an e-mail, asking how I could buy one. I got a response back that same day, telling me that if I would send them my serial number, they would mail me one for free. (I told them it was a brand new gun, there were no problems with my existing RCA, and I just wanted to have a spare on hand.) I replied with the SN, and I got a response with shipping info. Three days later, the RCA was delivered.

That, IMO, is customer service!

6gun

Hunter
Mike J said:
6gun said:

Now I'm curious. What data do you use to support your statement that Glock or Sig are more dependable than Ruger. I only own 2 Ruger semi-autos an old P94 in .40 & a SR 1911 but they have both been dependable. I have had some issue with the SR 1911 but that is because I didn't like where it was throwing brass & against the advice given here I messed with the extractor. I can't very well blame Ruger for that now can I. I don't have much experience with the SR series. I shot an early example once at a rental range & I've handled & dry fired a few since. They did have some issues early on but that is not unheard of with new models even including some offerings that Glock & Sig have come out with. In my experience Ruger semi-autos might not always have the best ergonomics & I believe accuracy might differ from one example to the next but they are usually very reliable as long as the owner hasn't decided to "improve" them & screwed them up.

Both my Kids started out with plastic Ruger's to save money cause they are usually cheaper, both soon found out from problems getting them to fire at the range and having to send them back to Ruger for repairs time after time they wasted their money, one kid now only buys Sigs the other only buys Glock's no problems with either brand.

Ruger customer service does a good jobs taking care of problems, we don't know how Sigs or Glock's customer service is about making repairs cause none of those have had to go back.

6gun said:

This +1000

But I already have a ton of sigs and a couple CZs

Mike J

Hunter
Glock had issues with the 3rd gen pistols when LEO's tried to run them with lights on the rails. The 4th generation Glocks had teething issues when first released. Granted I believe they are worked out now. Sig had issues with the 250 when it was first released. Granted I believe they have made changes & they are okay now.

I am aware that Ruger doesn't always do as good a job of QC as they should but they are really good at taking care of their customers if something isn't right. Every brand has issues.

The biggest conclusion I take away from everything I read online about issues people have with the different brands is not to be an early adopter of a new design. It is best to wait a while & let them get the kinks worked out with any brand. I don't own as many different guns & brands as a lot of folks but to be honest I have owned Kel-Tec, Ruger, Springfield Armory, Taurus, an old Star & a Dan Wesson Revolver. The only issues I have had were those I created. I did have to play with the Dan Wesson when I first bought it but it was a pawn shop buy & someone had the wrong grip screw in it. I changed the grip & also made a spacer to go on the screw for the original one & it has worked fine ever since.