Ruger Sr9E opinions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RonnyJ

Bearcat
I bought a 9e in January. I absolutely love the gun. Awsome shooter. Dont have all the extra crap that's on the sr9 If your in the market for one pick one up it's well worth the price.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
RonnyJ said:
Dont have all the extra crap that's on the sr9.
AFAIK, the only "extra crap" the SR9 has is the loaded chamber indicator, the adjustable rear sight and a second magazine. The first isn't essential but the second and third items are really nice to have.

ddown

Bearcat
I've put 200 rounds through mine I bought used this week it's a shooter I can shoot the bull out of a six inch target pretty quick. No problems great value

FergusonTO35

Hunter
The SD's I have examined at my local shop had a respectable trigger pull for a gun of that price, no worse than any of the Ruger SR's. Many say that the Apex Tactical sear makes it way better. I don't own an SD and have no plans to get one, I just like to spread the word about a good bargain.

GKC

Blackhawk
FergusonTO35 said:
FYI, the S&W SD9 and SD40 costs the same, is stainless, has no LCI or mag safety, and comes with two mags for the same price. Just sayin'!

Academy Sports has the SD9/40VE on sale right now for $289, which is a really good price. I've owned both, and the trigger pull isn't all that bad...not great, at about 7 to 8 pounds, but still less than a DA revolver, or the DA pull on some SIGs I have owned. It's not a target pistol, hence the "SD" in its name...but for the money, it's hard to beat!

Huge CZ and Sig fan. I just can't find enough of a reason to own a Ruger semi-auto, to pull the trigger on one, YET...

But if I were to take the plunge, the 9E would be the gun I would do it with.

Of course, I'd probably use the money towards another GP, RH, or SRH variant. Been lookin at the Bisley Super BH Hunter also. Lol.

GKC

Blackhawk
I just bought a 9E and the trigger on it is really nice. I don't have a trigger pull gauge, but the "booger hook" test says it's about 5.5 pounds, and smooth. I like this pistol better than the SR9, because it doesn't have the LCI, and I actually like the slide serrations better. I ordered a two-pack of 17 round mags from Grabagun for $38 and it's still cheaper than the SR9, plus I end up with one more mag.

The slide cover plate is different than the other SR models I've owned...no spring hole. I'll need to tinker with it, but I'm sure there is a way to remove it (the mag disconnect is coming out, plus I like to clean out the striker channel periodically.)

I haven't shot it yet, but so far, I'm happy with this purchase!

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
GKC said:
I just bought a 9E and the trigger on it is really nice. I don't have a trigger pull gauge, but the "booger hook" test says it's about 5.5 pounds, and smooth. I like this pistol better than the SR9, because it doesn't have the LCI, and I actually like the slide serrations better. I ordered a two-pack of 17 round mags from Grabagun for $38 and it's still cheaper than the SR9, plus I end up with one more mag.

The slide cover plate is different than the other SR models I've owned...no spring hole. I'll need to tinker with it, but I'm sure there is a way to remove it (the mag disconnect is coming out, plus I like to clean out the striker channel periodically.)

I haven't shot it yet, but so far, I'm happy with this purchase!

Edit to correct: There's a very tiny notch inside the plate hole at the 6 'oclock position. That's were you want to insert your paperclip punch. The slide plate will drop down a bit when you push in. You won't need the paperclip to reinstall, just hold the striker in and slide the plate up over it. No problem. :)

GKC

Blackhawk
GunnyGene said:
I took it out of mine using a straightened out large paperclip. Just push in the little bump on the shaft, and slide the plate down. No problem. :)

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
GKC said:
GunnyGene said:
I took it out of mine using a straightened out large paperclip. Just push in the little bump on the shaft, and slide the plate down. No problem. :)

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

Let me correct that. There's a very tiny notch inside the plate hole at the 6 'oclock position. That's were you want to insert your paperclip punch. The slide plate will drop down a bit when you push in. You won't need the paperclip to reinstall, just hold the striker in and slide the plate up over it.

GKC

Blackhawk
GunnyGene said:
Let me correct that. There's a very tiny notch inside the plate hole at the 6 'oclock position. That's were you want to insert your paperclip punch. The slide plate will drop down a bit when you push in. You won't need the paperclip to reinstall, just hold the striker in and slide the plate up over it.

Well, I got it off before I read you amended instruction. I was trying to push in the striker (I had already released the mag disconnect and striker block) without much success, using a very small punch. At one point, the plate suddenly released, so I must have inadvertently contacted the retention ring, or whatever it's called...I took out the mag disconnect and reassembled the slide. I didn't clean it, since I had some errands to run, but I will tomorrow (or later today, now) and I will pay close attention to what I am doing.

Thanks!

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
GKC said:
GunnyGene said:

Well, I got it off before I read you amended instruction. I was trying to push in the striker (I had already released the mag disconnect and striker block) without much success, using a very small punch. At one point, the plate suddenly released, so I must have inadvertently contacted the retention ring, or whatever it's called...I took out the mag disconnect and reassembled the slide. I didn't clean it, since I had some errands to run, but I will tomorrow (or later today, now) and I will pay close attention to what I am doing.

Thanks!

Well, glad you managed despite my error. Sorry about that. I hadn't disassembled mine in months, and the old noggin ain't what it used to be. Unfortunately there's not a single word in the owner manual about this.

GKC

Blackhawk
GunnyGene said:
Well, glad you managed despite my error. Sorry about that. I hadn't disassembled mine in months, and the old noggin ain't what it used to be. Unfortunately there's not a single word in the owner manual about this.

Hey, no problem! After I read your post, I got out my flashlight and looked, and I can see the little notch at 6 o'clock...it really is tiny! Thanks for the tip.

I always read the user manual as a last resort, so you saved me from that! :lol:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
GKC said:
GunnyGene said:

Hey, no problem! After I read your post, I got out my flashlight and looked, and I can see the little notch at 6 o'clock...it really is tiny! Thanks for the tip.

I always read the user manual as a last resort, so you saved me from that! :lol:

RE: owners manual. There is a model specific parts breakdown for the 9E in the manual for the striker cover, but it's the same part number as the standard SR9, and as you know they are not the same, which could be a problem. They might be interchangeable, I just don't know.