So who needs a holster when by . . .

Help Support Ruger Forum:

donguido

Bearcat
simply placing your ruger or any pistol in you belt/pants and it feels good, stays good, conceals well and you can draw good from it. I'm saying who needs a stinkin holster? Convince me! Thanks

roylt

Hunter
You should use a holster for the time you bend over in an unusual way and the gun drops down your pants and shoots your pecker off. Responsible gun ownership.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
roylt said:
You should use a holster for the time you bend over in an unusual way and the gun drops down your pants and shoots your pecker off. Responsible gun ownership.
For some folks one can only hope that happens...preferably before they breed... :twisted:

Al James

Hunter
I would Mexican carry a P gun in a pinch but never a striker pistol by any manufacturer. And I would have to be in a PINCH. I've read too many stories of people having ND's while doing this. If they are lucky no one got hurt, if they are unlucky they are missing parts and have medical bills.

Isn't that what happened to that one football player? Palaxico or whatever his name was?

roylt

Hunter
I have used my belt and or a pocket while at the range with an empty pistol. Excited to go check out the target or just didn't want to let my prized P-gun lay on the bench.

Holsters were made for a reason though for sure.

Mike J

Hunter
I believe it best to use a holster that covers the trigger. If you don't understand why google Plaxico Burress (the fellow Al James mentioned in his post). I don't like the idea of shooting myself.

revhigh

Hawkeye
roylt said:

Or rips you a new you know what ....

Always use a holster dummy ...

REV

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Mike J said:
I believe it best to use a holster that covers the trigger. If you don't understand why google Plaxico Burress (the fellow Al James mentioned in his post). I don't like the idea of shooting myself.
Funny this topic has come up. A guy I know from my summer PPC league is now recovering from just such a self-inflicted shooting. He was practicing with a Ruger Blackhawk .44 Special drawing from a "Western" style holster with the trigger guard fully exposed. He had partially cocked the hammer during the draw and his finger caught the trigger before the gun was clear of the holster. The bullet went completely through his calf top to bottom at a diagonal fortunately (VERY fortunately) missing the bone and all of the major blood vessels and it was a hard cast lead semi-wad cutter so it didn't expand.

He was explaining the mishap to us the other night making no excuses for his carelessness but extremely grateful the damage was a minor as it was.

Lesson: use a good holster that covers the trigger guard and never be "faster on the trigger than you are on the draw".

donguido

Bearcat
But c'mon the Ruger has three safety features on it. You'd have to be an idiot to shoot your self in your woody pecker or anywhere in the lower 40. I assure y'all, I am not an idiot. But there re a lot out there!!! Just throwing the thought out there. I have holsters but . . . have any of you ever gone commando? Same thing but even more exciting. BTW , I would never carry it as mentioned with the "loaded when up" sticking out. :shock: :roll: :lol:

donguido

Bearcat
OldePhart said:
roylt said:
For some folks one can only hope that happens...preferably before they breed... :twisted:
I can't breed and even if I could I wouldn't . . . too freaking old and besides I'm too freaking responsible too.

My latest semi-auto Ruger has no safety feature on it... no mag disconnect and no safety.... and it's striker fired.... with about a 3lb trigger pull... I would not even consider putting it in a pocket or any where with out it being in a holster. In fact none of the semi-auto Ruger pistols I own have a safety.... well the 22lr does...

freedomcosts

Single-Sixer
Mike J said:

Bingo- and ditto.

Tenbore

Single-Sixer
The most important safety feature of any firearm in between your ears. Sadly, many people choose not to engage it.

GhosT

Blackhawk
Owned for a dozen years, a .357 magnum, 2 1/4" SP101.
Also owned the same time, a nylon,pancake holster for it.

People complain that it is a heavy gun,
Within 2 minutes, can't even tell wearing it......LOL

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
donguido said:
But c'mon the Ruger has three safety features on it. You'd have to be an idiot to shoot your self in your woody pecker or anywhere in the lower 40. I assure y'all, I am not an idiot. But there re a lot out there!!! Just throwing the thought out there. I have holsters but . . . have any of you ever gone commando? Same thing but even more exciting. BTW , I would never carry it as mentioned with the "loaded when up" sticking out. :shock: :roll: :lol:
Well, there is the string loop carry popular among resistance fighters during the Nazi occupation of Europe. And the styles like the Barami product.

Do the products like "Thunderwear" count as a holster?

As far as depending on the "three safeties", I submit that they do not help if a mishap occurs when drawing to fire. Also, not all Rugers have the same safeties and you did not specify which models you had in mind when you mentioned it.

A holster is meant, first of all, to secure the gun in the same position no matter how much gymnastics you perform or if you get in a struggle or fight.

Lost Sheep

Note: on post #2. I answer apparent trolls seriously, on the chance that a serious questioner is searching around the edges of reasonableness. I have to, in order to keep faith with the directive, "There is only one stupid question, the one that is not asked."