Easier to clean? Semi-autos or Revolvers?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Koyote

Bearcat
Relatively new to firearms...which is easier to clean?

Semi-autos or Revolvers?

Plastic or Stainless Steel?

Semi-auto-take out the barrel and clean from the breach.
Revolver-clean one barrel from the muzzle and six short ones (cylinder), plus the cylinder face if stainless steel,
Plus other minor areas on both. I'd say Semi-auto easier.

Mike J

Hunter
steveodtw said:
Revolver-clean one barrel from the muzzle and six short ones (cylinder), plus the cylinder face if stainless steel,

I agree.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Another vote for pistol as easiest to clean over revolver.

However, I'll add, neither is especially difficult to clean and ease of cleaning shouldn't really be a factor in selecting a first gun. If you're brand new to shooting a revolver is a little more forgiving of handling mistakes and, for most folks at least, easier to learn to shoot well.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Depends on the weapon. Some semi-autos are more complicated to disassemble/reassemble than others and may require a small allen wrench or other tool. They often have many more small pieces to keep track of than a revolver also. Ask anyone who owns an old 1911. :wink:

Most manufacturers these days have their user manuals on their website that you can download before you buy something, so you might want to do that and compare the ones on your short list. If you have a good gunshop, they will usually demonstrate how to do it also before you buy.

jeffmb

Single-Sixer
steveodtw said:

+1

hittman

Staff member
Depends on how complicated the semi-auto is to take apart. In MOST cases, the semi would be easier .... to me.

Some struggle with the P-series Ruger semi's, 1911's and others. If you've got a CZ75 or Sig P220, it's a breeze.

dachshund

Bearcat
Autos are easier to clean hands down, revolvers have got lots of nooks and crannies for various forms of crud to accumulate. I've got 6 of each, and the autos are much easier to clean up. Stainless revolvers show up more soot etc. and actually take more time to clean up than a blued one, if you want to it spotless. Revolvers shooting lead bullets are more likely to build up lead in the barrel, which is an additional cleaning step. 22 revolvers get more crudded-up because the ammo is dirtier. On the other hand, once you get to cleaning anything, it's just a matter of how much time you want to spend.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Assuming you aren't detail stripping either, most modern semi-autos are easier to field strip and clean than a revolver. As noted, one barrel and chamber that can be cleaned from the breach and both in the same straight line. As opposed to a barrel that has to be cleaned from the muzzle and 5 or 6 (or even 7 or 8 ) chambers that have to be individually cleaned.

I've never found the Ruger P-series or SR's at all tricky and M&P's, Glocks and many other semis are very easy to field strip and reassemble. 1911's are a bit more complicated and fiddly but not all that involved once you've done it a couple of times.

Taking MkI, Mk II and MkIII's apart is very easy but reassembly is an entirely different story and can reduce grown men to tears.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I've only got two autos, a MkII and a CZ 75B. It might be arguable whether the MkII is easier to clean than any of my revolvers, but the CZ follows the comments of others. It's much easier than doing a GOOD job on a revolver...

For a "lick and a promise" job, it's hard to beat a single action revolver, though!

Rick C

BWright200

Bearcat
I AGREE. revolvers are more work. I have a nice S&W SS 686. a lot more to clean. I doesn't take away from the love of shooting it.. just give it some time after if its a gun you want. I wouldn't make cleaning high on the reasons to buy list.

It should be noted that if you decide on a semi-auto because it's easier to clean, you will definitely burn way more ammo through it than a revolver. Especially if it's a double-stack hi-cap pistol. My SR-9 goes through a box of 50 9mms in three magazines. Depends on how you want to shoot it at the range.

Mike J

Hunter
steveodtw said:
It should be noted that if you decide on a semi-auto because it's easier to clean, you will definitely burn way more ammo through it than a revolver. Especially if it's a double-stack hi-cap pistol. My SR-9 goes through a box of 50 9mms in three magazines. Depends on how you want to shoot it at the range.

I guess I'm weird. I own 4 autos to one revolver but I probably burn ammo at the same rate through any of them. Depending on what I'm doing I often only load 4 or 5 rounds at a time in my magazine. Especially if I'm target shooting & striving for accuracy. If I'm practicing from the holster I still only load enough rounds for whatever drill I want to run. Kinda helps stretch the fun out for me and leaves me with an empty gun while I check my target or change targets, etc.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
semi auto is generally easier. having said that I will say it really does not matter. when you have an addiction to guns it is a labor of love. after all is said and done just part of the enjoyment.

Latest posts