New Member with Ammo Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

donguido

Bearcat
New member and very recent owner of a new sr40c. Awesome handgun, just the right size for me. I've recently read some article about twist in barrels and that the type of bullet you use can be effected positively or poorly depending on the length, weight, etc. Simple questions since I'm a new ruger sr40c owner, so new I have not been to the range yet but will go this weekend, is what is the best ammo to use for range practice (reasonable priced) and for self defense (home and carry)?

I've have a 9mm in the past and a security six revolver but felt I wanted a little more in a semi-auto.

Thanks in advance and I'm sure I can learn a lot here. I'm not a long time firearm owner but believe in the right to bare arms and conceal carry. I live in Texas and do have a CHL.

the best advice I can give you is don't go with just one type of 40 cal ammo.... at least two different and three would be better. Also, keep in mind that most mass produced semi-autos need a break in period of a few hundred rounds to smooth out.

Welcome to the best gun forum on the internet.

donguido

Bearcat
blume357 said:
the best advice I can give you is don't go with just one type of 40 cal ammo.... at least two different and three would be better. Also, keep in mind that most mass produced semi-autos need a break in period of a few hundred rounds to smooth out.

Thanks blume357. Greenville, SC. ahh yes I worked there for close to a year after graduating from Clemson. Beautiful area and you gotta love those Tigers. have not been back in a long time but need to, maybe this fall for a Clemson-South Carolina game.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The rifling twist is chosen to cover the most common bullet weights so, for a .40 S&W it should be fine with anything from 135 to 180 grains. Remember, long range stability, which is an issue with rifles, is not a big deal with handguns.

For practice, any of the lower cost bulk ammo by a reputable manufacturer should be fine, Winchester White Box, Federal American Eagle, Remington UMC, Speer Blazer and several others should be fine. For defense use, any of the high performance premium loads like Speer Gold Dot, Remington Golden Saber, hornady Critical Defense, and many others are all good choices and these change by the day as newer designs (or new names for old ones) are developed.

Remember, there is no Magic Bullet so you have to practice even if you choose your ammo wisely.

Mike J

Hunter
I don't own a SR40c but I do have 2 .40 caliber pistols. I agree with what 22/45 posted but I wanted to add I prefer 165 or 180 grain bullets for my .40 caliber defensive ammunition.The recoil impulse doesn't seem as snappy to me as it does with the lighter bullet weights.

Welcome to the best gun forum on the internet.[/quote]Thanks blume357. Greenville, SC. ahh yes I worked there for close to a year after graduating from Clemson. Beautiful area and you gotta love those Tigers. have not been back in a long time but need to, maybe this fall for a Clemson-South Carolina game.[/quote]

have lived here in Greenville for .... ready: 34+ years... before that I lived for a few years in and around Clemson.... depending on when you were here.... things have changed in both towns. Greenville is a boom town for good or bad. I run a small one man business, have for 32 years and the one thing I do not need to do is advertise. 'They' are building like crazy here....

Lake Keowee just above Clemson, in Seneca, is nuts... Duke power decided to sell much of the land around the lake a number of years back and now it is covered with gated communities and vacation homes that start at a million or more. I looked at one a few years back.... 3-4 million that I just discovered is owned by one of those reality show TV 'stars'... (he's from Atlanta.)

Back to original question. I agree... heavy bullet weight is better....

freedomcosts

Single-Sixer
donguido said:
blume357 said:
the best advice I can give you is don't go with just one type of 40 cal ammo.... at least two different and three would be better. Also, keep in mind that most mass produced semi-autos need a break in period of a few hundred rounds to smooth out."

Thanks blume357. Greenville, SC. ahh yes I worked there for close to a year after graduating from Clemson. Beautiful area and you gotta love those Tigers. have not been back in a long time but need to, maybe this fall for a Clemson-South Carolina game.

Thought I'd add something about practice vs carry ammo- if you plan to carry your 40. Just like the gun may like some range ammo, and not others, you'll need to do the same with JHPs, whatever you plan to carry in it. My 9c ate almost all JHPs, so it was never an issue- for me- but I fired several types, multiple magazines full, before I felt comfortable with my choice. Funny thing, there were a couple pf FMJs that just wouldn;t work- I remember one was Wincstr White Box, the other escapes me. Enjoy the new weapon, I love mine, too. Ended up buying the SR9 for a bedside gun.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
I prefer 180JHP. load lead plinkers that shoot very close for practice. the 40c is my EDC and it has earned my respect. I own many more that sit in the safe most of the time, most of which were much more expensive. hope you enjoy yours. you will get used to the extra recoil.