Sight adjustment tool?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

doberman

Bearcat
Can anyone tell me where I can find the tool that adjusts the rear sight on a SR9C? I've misplaced mine. I call myself looking on Ruger's website, but came up empty. Is it on the Real Avid Ruger gun tool?

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Stop by your local hardware store and pick up a 5/64" allen wrench for windage adjustment. Might want to get a couple of them. Height adjustment is a common small screwdriver. The user manual tells you this.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
GunnyGene said:
Stop by your local hardware store and pick up a 5/64" allen wrench for windage adjustment. Might want to get a couple of them. Height adjustment is a common small screwdriver. The user manual tells you this.
That 5/64" Allen wrench will probably have to be supplemented with a padded vise, a brass drift and a big hammer. Some of those rear sights (like my SR9c) are in that dovetail VERY tightly.

Ruger sells an aftermarket fully adjustable Williams sight set that includes a replacement fiber optic front sight and fully screw adjustable (elevation and windage) rear sight. The OEM front sight has to be drifted out of it's dovetail and the new one installed (it's taller than the original) but the rear sight is replaced with just a small punch and a screwdriver since it uses the original sight base.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
22/45 Fan said:
GunnyGene said:
That 5/64" Allen wrench will probably have to be supplemented with a padded vise, a brass drift and a big hammer. Some of those rear sights (like my SR9c) are in that dovetail VERY tightly.

That's true. Guns like this aren't intended for bullseye shooting or varmint hunting, anyway. Rather than trying to adjust for windage, it's far easier to just apply a little kentucky windage and leave the sight wherever the factory set it instead of taking a chance on messing it up with vises and punches. In real life defense you'd likely only be 5 or 10ft at most from your adversary anyway, and maybe a lot less, and wouldn't have time to aim even if you wanted to. :)

22/45 Fan

Hunter
If the windage is off and the rear sight too tight to move in its dovetail, you can drift the front sight to make the correction. That's what i did with my SR9C. Remember the front sight moves OPPOSITE the direction you want to change the point of impact.

doberman

Bearcat
Thanks guys. I was carrying this gun one night crossing a completely iced over parking lot and I slipped and hit the ice pretty hard. It actually moved the rear sight as far as it could be moved to the right. I had a wrench for it, lost it (understand the need to get more than one) and then the owner of a local range told me it took a Ruger proprietary tool to adjust it. (He's a Springfield guy) My memory is not as it once was. Got it dealt with. Thanks again.