LC9s magazine reliability

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I went into a LGS awhile ago thinking I wanted to buy a S&W Shield. What I wanted was a compact 9mm for concealed carry, to augment or replace my everyday carry a 5-shot 2-inch revolver. After handling the Shield the clerk suggested I consider the LC9s, which had only recently come out. The trigger feel was so superior to the S&W that I bought the gun on the spot. I have fired a few hundred rounds through this gun without a single problem of any kind. My magazine has never fallen out. In part due to the excellent trigger I find that I shoot this gun far more accurately than my sr40c, or my LCP, or my 2-inch revolver. With 8 rounds of 9mm I feel very comfortable not carrying a back up gun nor even a second magazine of ammo. The LC9s has been become my primary carry gun. This is my fourth Ruger semi-auto and my favorite of the four.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
I'm still interested in one of these! About to retire my SP101 for something slimmer and lighter!

I'm just a little concerned and confused about the magazines.
What is the confusion? Did I miss something in previous post?

No confusion anymore... lol

I finally DID replace my SP101 2 inch...

I had already replaced my 4 inch SP101with a match champion:

IMAG0036_zps97cxcbm1.jpg

IMAG0241_zps2vubh5c4.jpg

But now I have, for me at least, a better concealed carry option.

IMAG0281_zpsumfmgntv.jpg

WildWes

Bearcat
I have two LC9s pistols and have not had any ammo/magazine issues, however one has the older recoil spring rod that sometimes protrudes slightly thru the front of the slide. So, I contacted Ruger online to have the newer cone-shaped one sent to me. Filled out the info (name, phone, address, gun model/serial number) on the form and they responded by asking if I was a US citizen. I've never been asked that for a replacement part. Apparently, saying "yes" was secret double-probation magic password for them to send it to me. Kudos Ruger :mrgreen:

In my LC9S, I replaced the guide rod assembly with a stainless steel one and a new spring, from Galloway Precision. As part of the change they also send a different striker spring. So far it works just fine. We'll see how it's doing after 4-500 rounds more.

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
I may reported earlier (maybe on another forum or other post?) about how my LC9 and LC9s both work fine with the 3 mags I have.
Well, that is no longer the case.
The two Italian made mags work fine. The American made one will no longer hold the slide open after the last round. However, when cycling manually, it holds the slide just fine.
I also noticed it has scratches on both sides of the mag, which I'm guessing is a symptom of the issue.
That mag will go back to Ruger for replacement.