Remove LC9s manual safety ???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tlen

Bearcat
Help..... Can the LC9s manual thumb safety be removed? What is involved?
I have a chance to get a LC9s very cheap from a friend but I don't need or want a manual safety as it sticks out too much. I will deal with the magazine disconnect.
The Pro model would be ideal but this LC9s is too great a deal to pass up.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
I suppose if all else failed you could grind the outside if the knob smooth and leave it in "not safe" position but, really, I carried mine IWB in a hybrid holster for months and nothing about the gun was the least bit uncomfortable. (I did remove the magazine disconnect, not difficult at all.)

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
The best way to do that is to just go buy the LC9s Pro. Otherwise I think you're asking for trouble.

tlen

Bearcat
rammerjammer said:
The best way to do that is to just go buy the LC9s Pro. Otherwise I think you're asking for trouble.
Why ?
I don't have the LC9s to take apart and see how it is put together. I've watched a Galloway Precision complete strip video but the safety level and how it fits is not detailed.

loaded round

Hunter
I haven't looked closely at my LC9s mag safety. How do you remove it, it's the only firearm I now own with a mag safety.
Thanks.

OldePhart said:
I suppose if all else failed you could grind the outside if the knob smooth and leave it in "not safe" position but, really, I carried mine IWB in a hybrid holster for months and nothing about the gun was the least bit uncomfortable. (I did remove the magazine disconnect, not difficult at all.)

tlen

Bearcat
Looking at the manual's Exploded View, it appears when the manual safety, 3, is removed the pivot pin, 9, is exposed and may fall out unless it is held in by a shoulder or other means.
The pivot pin is removed in the disassembly video I've seen by pressing against the end painted red which is the "fire" indicator.
When the manual safety is in the "fire" position is the end of the pivot pin [painted red] fully exposed or does the safety lever hold the pin in ?

OldePhart

Blackhawk
loaded round said:
I haven't looked closely at my LC9s mag safety. How do you remove it, it's the only firearm I now own with a mag safety.
Thanks.

OldePhart said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQkEvtXEu4I
I found this video to be most helpful of all of the ones I could find on YouTube. It's not specifically about the magazine disconnect, and in fact the disconnect has already been removed in this video, but it's of the 9s, not the 9, and you don't have to put up with the noise of two YouTube "heroes" arguing with each other via video about which is the best way to remove the disconnect... :rolleyes:

Once you detail strip this all the way down like this video removing the disconnect piece is obvious. One point, in the video they recommend removing the trigger safety before removing the chassis. I did it the other way and didn't really have any problem...just remember the parts on the other side of the chassis and hold them in place as you put the chassis down on a tape roll to punch the pin.

John

OldePhart

Blackhawk
tlen said:
Looking at the manual's Exploded View, it appears when the manual safety, 3, is removed the pivot pin, 9, is exposed and may fall out unless it is held in by a shoulder or other means.
The pivot pin is removed in the disassembly video I've seen by pressing against the end painted red which is the "fire" indicator.
When the manual safety is in the "fire" position is the end of the pivot pin [painted red] fully exposed or does the safety lever hold the pin in ?
Yeah, I don't remember the exact details but the safety lever does hold something in place, as I recall. That was why I said it would be best to keep it and just file the outside of the knob down if one felt that was necessary.

Again, though, I wore mine IWB for months and often forgot I had it on...so I'm not sure what "sticks out to much" means. Sounds like maybe the modern-day version of the "Princess and the Pea." :)

John