PPK or Sig P232

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MYBABYISA44MAG

Single-Sixer
My Sig was stolen from my vehicle, and now I'm trying to decide whether to replace it with the PPK....I'm not interested in a pocket gun, like the Ruger, I guess I'm just that way about my carry gun....so what's your opinion of these two options?

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Neither would be my first choice because they are DA/SA and I'm not a fan of those. That said, both are good guns for those used to using them and from reliable manufacturers and, since you're obviously used to the Sig, that might be the deciding factor.

Having said that, both are bulkier than some other options in .380 (bulkier than some 9mm guns, even). If the reason the Sig was in your vehicle where it could be stolen instead of on your person was because it's too inconvenient for carry that might be worth thinking about...

230 or 232 hands down.... I can say this because I have both a 230 and a Walther PPK.... the Walther is 'okay' (for sex in a holster).... but in my opinion there is no comparison between it and the Sig 230/232.... I carried the Sig 230 for the last 7 years until I switched to the LC9s pro. The Sig 230 is even better in my opinion than the LC...

MYBABYISA44MAG

Single-Sixer
Thx for the responses....I left the pistol accidentally in my truck for about 2 hours, in the console....a band of rogues came thru our subdivision and broke into about 10 vehicles...took my wallet and pistol...police had photos but nothing came of it...my bad...that's for sure...Haven't seen a 230 up close...will take a long hard look..

loaded round

Hunter
My vote is for the Sig also. Have owned 2 PPK's previously and sold them both. The Walther is a very good pistol , but it's too heavy for it's caliber and will bite the H- - L out of the web of hand if you have medium to large hands.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The Sig P232 (the 230 was the earlier version) is both large and heavy for a .380. It's more ergonomic, more reliable and less ammo sensitive than the PPK but still big. Also the 232 is a blowback action like the PPK and, as such, recoils quite sharply considering the modest cartridge. As an aside, the P232 seems to be out of production as the Sig web site no longer lists it and the P238 seem to be its replacement.

There are numerous full power 9 mm pistols that are the same size and weight or smaller and lighter and, of course, far more powerful.

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
I would go with the Sig 232, though I've only handled them on many occasions. Better sights, better trigger. In the aluminum frame version, it is lighter than the PPK. In the steel frame, maybe an ounce or two heavier.

The PPK maybe a bit "classier" but the sights are squinchy and the DA trigger is an abomination. The single action is pretty nice though. Both I and my father each had one, so I've shot them quite a bit. Carried mine for maybe 10 years.

I've often contemplated getting a 232, as it fits my hand perfectly and points very well for me. My only reservation about it, and the PPK as well, is the lack of a slide lock. Ever tried to clear a double-feed on a PPK? It is not a pleasant experience. A slide lock makes that a whole lot less miserable. In a gunfight, though, I think you'd be pretty much screwed either way.

My current .380 carry gun is a Beretta 85. Points better for me than the PPK, has better sights, has been more reliable as well, and has a slide lock. It is a bit large and heavy, however. So I'm still contemplating the Sig 232. Or a Ruger LCR 3". No double feed worries there. :)

crispy

Bearcat
Nothing classier than the P232.

DSCF4064.jpg

FWIW, I want a stainless PPK too...

In the blue book it shows that they actually made the 230/232? in 9mm... but I think they were only offered to European law enforcement.... I wished for years that I could find one of these.... but had finally to settle for a LC9s pro.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
blume357 said:
In the blue book it shows that they actually made the 230/232? in 9mm... but I think they were only offered to European law enforcement.... I wished for years that I could find one of these.... but had finally to settle for a LC9s pro.
Are you sure they didn't say 9 mm Kurtz aka 9 mmm short or 9x17? Both of these are names for what we call the .380 ACP. The Europeans do use it as a police round. They are 9 mm but not the full power 9 mm Luger.

I only have one blue book and it is from way back... 24th edition.... and to clarify... this is only for the P230 not the P232 but not only it seems made in 380 (Kurtz) and 9mm (luger) but also 22lr and 32 acp and they were only made in .380 in stainless ....

22/45 Fan

Hunter
blume357 said:
I only have one blue book and it is from way back... 24th edition.... and to clarify... this is only for the P230 not the P232 but not only it seems made in 380 (Kurtz) and 9mm (luger) but also 22lr and 32 acp and they were only made in .380 in stainless ....

No, it doesn't say 9mm Luger, it says 9 mm Ultra, which is not the same thing. The 9 mm Ultra (aka 9x18 ) was an attempt to hot-rod the .380 ACP to giver a bit more power but still work in blow-back actions. It is not a full power 9 mm Luger. Here is Wikipedia's brief description and note it mentions the Sig P230 was chambered in it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9%C3%9718mm_Ultra

There have been a couple of attempts to make blowback action handguns to fire the 9 mm Luger cartridge but they all pretty much failed due to the power and operating pressure of the round. Smith & Wesson had one notable failure with the SW9 several years ago. The only 9 mm Lugar blowbacks that work are rifle/carbines that use a heavy enough bolt to make the round practical.

Otay, I stand up corrected. Thanks... did not see the Ultra part and had no idea there was such a thing... but then I kind of have a learning deficiency with the different types of actions on semi-autos.

The one thing I can't figure out about the PPK.... watch any of the first James Bond movies and beyond..... both Sean Connery and Roger Moore must have small hands.... I'm still trying to figure out how a PPK looks that big.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
None of the .380 Walthers that I have owned (German, French, US - PP, PPK, PPPK/s) have been as reliable as the SIG P230/P232's. I never had a reliability problem with the .32 Walthers but the .380's are a different story. I like Walthers, but for self defense I stick with SIG.

Best Regards,
ADP3