PPK or Sig P232

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
I have owned both a PPK (not a PPK/S) and a stainless P232. Here are a few random thoughts.

The P232 differs from the P230 in that the P230 does not have a firing pin block / lock -- if that matters to you. All the current SIG, Ruger, Glock, S&W, and about anything else you can think of, has a firing pin lock these days. The exception, of course, is the SR 1911 and other non-80 series 1911's.
I like firing pin locks - one more drop safety on a firearm is a good thing.

I loved the P232 - it was a favorite shooter. And what a shooter it was. You just looked at the target and, if by magic, holes started to appear in all the right places. But, and it is a big but, if I did not have my hand in the EXACT right spot, the recoiling slide would slice the meaty part of my hand between thumb and first finger wide open. It is difficult to continue a range session with blood dripping all over the place. That is when I started to include Band-Aids in my range bag.

Even today, ten years or more after I sold the P232, sometimes I will notice the scars on my right hand and think fondly of that pistol. But not fondly enough to buy another one!

My PPK was from the time period when they were being made (not imported but made in USA) by Interarms. It was also a good shooter. It never bite me. Most folks who get bite get bit by PPK's, not P232's, but I seem to be the other way around.

One day shooting the PPK, a couple pieces and a small spring fell out of it. Turns out it was the DA sear piece mounted on the hammer. It appeared to have been an early MIM part that did not work out well - broke in half right at the pivot pin hole. I have never pursued fixing it, as it works fine in SA. The DA first shot capability is gone, but it works great in SA.

These days the 380 ACP role in my stable is being filled by a SIG 238. Firing from a locked breech rather than being a strictly blowback like the PPK and P232, the force to slingshot the slide is many times less than either the PPK or P232. And it is also a great shooter.

The PPK is an older design with lots of small intricate parts. And the sights are the lesser of the three.

My ranking of the three mentioned above would be (high to low) SIG P238, SIG P232, and the PPK. But there is not a real loser anywhere in the mix.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I say Kahr CT380 or Glock 42. Both are comfortable to shoot but small enough to hide and no manual safety. Cost way less too. I carry a CT380 and have a Glock 42 on layaway.

Vee_Kay

Bearcat
Owning a PPKs and a P230 the differences: PPK takedown is a more difficult. P230 has European style magazine catch at the base of the grip rather than the American side button on the PPKs. If you intend to use more than one magazine. you need to practice, practice, practice. Sights on the older PPKs and P230 were double dot one on the front, one on the back. The P232 came out with the three dot sights, which were my preference. Sig has discontinued this model. Expected to be able to save up a little longer. I had to really scramble to get a P230.

I had a Sig P230SL (stainless steel + night sites) years ago. My very FIRST "edc weapon" subsequent to me initially getting my CHL. Loved the size and the weight. Always wished they would offer a locking action version of it acceptable for 9x19. The blowback action was fine for the low pressure .380 however.
Now I pack a Sig P938 and will never look back.

toysoldier

Hunter
22/45 Fan said:
There have been a couple of attempts to make blowback action handguns to fire the 9 mm Luger cartridge but they all pretty much failed due to the power and operating pressure of the round. Smith & Wesson had one notable failure with the SW9 several years ago. The only 9 mm Lugar blowbacks that work are rifle/carbines that use a heavy enough bolt to make the round practical.

The Spanish Astra pistol was a successful blowback design, manufactured in large quantities. It was used by Spain and Germany. It is not, of course, a compact pistol, and has an atrociously heavy slide spring.

toysoldier said:
22/45 Fan said:
There have been a couple of attempts to make blowback action handguns to fire the 9 mm Luger cartridge but they all pretty much failed due to the power and operating pressure of the round. Smith & Wesson had one notable failure with the SW9 several years ago. The only 9 mm Lugar blowbacks that work are rifle/carbines that use a heavy enough bolt to make the round practical.

The Spanish Astra pistol was a successful blowback design, manufactured in large quantities. It was used by Spain and Germany. It is not, of course, a compact pistol, and has an atrociously heavy slide spring.

I thought the Astra was a locking breach style like the Sig 228

Al James

Hunter
While not 9mm luger, a CZ52 in 7.62x25 Tokarev is a blow back design as well. They use a system called roller delayed blowback which originated in several MG designs. I have owned a couple and aside from their crudeness they are pretty interesting. Definitely unique! I have always enjoyed shooting the varioius 7.62x25 pistols. :D

Al James said:
While not 9mm luger, a CZ52 in 7.62x25 Tokarev is a blow back design as well. They use a system called roller delayed blowback which originated in several MG designs. I have owned a couple and aside from their crudeness they are pretty interesting. Definitely unique! I have always enjoyed shooting the varioius 7.62x25 pistols. :D

It uses a camming roller system. Not streight blow back.

Al James

Hunter
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Al James said:

Gotcha! My post wasn't meant to counter your point as it was accurate and the 52 is a different caliber too. :wink:

I just wanted to mention a different design used to contain a high pressure round in a blowback action.

Between the 2 I would pick the Sig 232. I've owned and used the PPK and PPKs, the 230 and 232 in the past. I much prefer the Sig 232 over the others. And I would much prefer a 9mm over any of them.

Al James said:
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Al James said:

Gotcha! My post wasn't meant to counter your point as it was accurate and the 52 is a different caliber too. :wink:

I just wanted to mention a different design used to contain a high pressure round in a blowback action.

Between the 2 I would pick the Sig 232. I've owned and used the PPK and PPKs, the 230 and 232 in the past. I much prefer the Sig 232 over the others. And I would much prefer a 9mm over any of them.

GREAT post. I think it's a great design actually. :-D