LCP magazine engagement

Help Support Ruger Forum:

electramike

Bearcat
Anybody having trouble getting magazines to seat properly in their LCP, I have three different magazines and I have to really slam
them pretty good to engage.This is a newer LCP . 2nd gen.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
That's not ideal but not terribly unusual especially with a full, new, magazine (if you're having the same issue with an empty magazine I'd look to see if anything is perhaps a bit bent or dragging).

I'd rather have to tap the magazine home, though, than have it be hesitant to drop when the release is pressed or, worse, tend to drop under recoil.

BWright200

Bearcat
I have a new lcp custom with 200 rounds fired now,.. 2 weeks ago when I got it I bought the 7 round mag. first day both magazines, 6 & 7 round were very sloppy feel. had to work at it to get it to seat and stay with the 6 round. 7 didn't want to.. after some time with it it seemed the spring started working better with the 6 round. and it started to have a audible c lick when it caught. now I have no issues with the 6 round and still have same issues with the 7. it is worthless. I posted a question here and didn't get anyone to add to having magazine issues.. I did see some posts when I google it. It seemed online that new gen 2 and customs are having some mag issues.
I had a friend with a gen1 lcp try my 7 round and it worked fine for him. Im moving next week and I don't have a address I want mail too .. but after I plan to call ruger in 2 weeks.. I hope their is a answer.

Nano65

Bearcat
Usually when people are having trouble snapping in the mag it means that there needs to be a little more gap between the mag base plate and the grip. To open this gap up remove the base plate and sand a few thousands off of it following the curve of the base plate. Repeat as necessary.

fixitfred

Bearcat
Nano65 said:
Usually when people are having trouble snapping in the mag it means that there needs to be a little more gap between the mag base plate and the grip. To open this gap up remove the base plate and sand a few thousands off of it following the curve of the base plate. Repeat as necessary.
Yea after lenghty analysis I independantly concluded this. Now I find out everybody knows. Sand the cheap plastic base if you mess it up it's not big loss. Don't do any crazy mods to your gun. There's a related issue where the mag has problems passing the mag release latch. The latch on the gun is beveled if you bevel the lip that slides past the catch of your mag it helps.

accessbob

Bearcat
this is an old post so I don't know if I should post here but I just wanted to point out that I keep my slide back put the mag and then swing shot it forward I don't just put the mag in because cuz it becomes difficult at times.

trjggerjerk

Bearcat
Just shot my new (2nd) LCP today. If top round in full mag is slightly forward, mag didn't want to seat. Slap 'em back before you feed 'em in!