Do you trust your LC9s as a carry gun?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I bought my LC9s when I decided I wanted a compact 9mm for concealed carry, and while I originally thought of getting the S&W Shield 9 I was so impressed by the trigger on the LC9s that I got that instead. While I have only fired about 300 or so rounds through this gun so far I have had no problems with any aspect of the gun and have found that I can shoot it more accurately than I can my other regular carry guns, the LCP or my 2-inch j-frames. But I have also read comments about problems with this gun, primarily about the magazine dis-engaging but also failures to eject, and wondered how prevalent these issues are and if they are enough to make others doubt the reliability of this gun for everyday carry. As I said, I have had no problems to date, but would be concerned if the consensus of opinion is that the gun is unreliable.

loaded round

Hunter
I frequently carry my LC9s with a Crimson Trace Laser attached in a IWB holster and feel very confident carrying it. I'm starting to alternate it with my new SR1911CDR-LWT however when wearing heavy sweater or sweat shirt. I shoot both on a regular basis and consider myself proficient with either pistol.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
If you search you'll find a couple of threads with my experience so I won't rehash at length. I did love mine, especially the trigger, which is better than even the "worked" triggers on my Glocks. I carried mine almost daily for a few months, and it was very easy to carry. I no longer carry it (it was returned to Ruger) and would not carry another without extensive, extensive testing under less-than-ideal shooting conditions. Not being paid to spend enough money on ammo to satisfy myself of the reliability I now carry a Glock 26 in spite of its width.

Check your extractor, particularly. If it will hold a fired cartridge very tightly in the slide then you are probably okay.

John

Did you consider a single stack Glock like the 36 to make it easier to conceal? Other than the low capacity the Glock 36 looks pretty attractive as a carry gun. Seven rounds of 45acp are at least equivalent to 8 9mm total in the LC9s. But I do so like the trigger on the Ruger.....

OldePhart

Blackhawk
I looked at the G36 but it's a bit long and really only slightly narrower (.1") than my 26. I'm also just not a huge fan of the .45 cartridge. If Glock would make a single stack in 9mm or .40 with the same length and height as the 26/27 I'd be all over it. As it is, if concealing the 26 becomes too much of an issue this summer I may give an XD(s) in 9mm a shot. I know some people that have them and, more importantly, that have used them quite successfully in IDPA bug matches which was where the problem with my LC9s revealed itself after months of carry and several range trips with no problems.

FelixD

Bearcat
Vito, I bought an S after having owned the DA version since they first came out. My S also has about 300 rds through it. I've been lucky to have a accumulated a variety of 9 MM so I was able to shoot it up during those first 300 rds or so. I can say my gun has worked reliably with 115 and 124 grain ball and personal defense ammo. Handloaded ball worked as well. Today I was trying to get it to fail by shooting one handed, deliberately with a loose wrist. I tried to give it as little resistance as possible when shooting, but I had no failures even with 115 gr handloads. I can report that I've had no magazine failures or other stoppages others have reported. I carry the gun everyday and have confidence in it. I hope this helps.

I only own two 7-round mags, but rarely carry the second mag. I feel 7 +1 gives enough rounds to get myself past a threat. Truthfully, I used to feel fully comfortable with a 5 round revolver, but I guess too much reading on internet forums started to give me some doubts!

I probably should not reply to this, yet. I've only put about 8 rounds through mine... but was quite impressed. I have yet to try the two extra magazines I bought afterwards.... I ordered the spare mags direct from shopruger along with a inside the waste band leather holster..... been carrying with this holster for about 3 weeks and have yet to have a magazine drop... in fact the mag drop button is so small and almost recessed my one complaint is it is kind of hard to drop a mag.... but the only one that has been in the pistol is the one that came with it. But all three of the mags are US made... don't know where to get one of the Italian ones.... I keep meaning to get to the range and shoot it some and try some hydro shocks (the eight rounds I shot were full metal jacket)... I like carrying the pistol .... it is not as comfortable to shoot as my previous carry gun, which was a Sig 230 but I'm learning to modify. So far if this pistol will function through 8 rounds ... I'm good.

rimmer

Single-Sixer
Any gun can malfunction at anytime. Most people blame the gun and it is usually operator error. I say no more.

Let us know how the new gun works out. So far the LC9s is becoming my favorite everyday carry. My other carry guns are primarily j-frame revolvers, which in addition to having only a 5 round capacity, for me require a laser sight if I hope to have any degree of accuracy. With the LC9s I feel I don't need the laser to make accurate shots at self defense distances. I will be very disappointed if this gun turns out to be in any way unreliable.

Cal44

Bearcat
I bought a LC9 (hammer fired) about 18 months ago and had trouble with it not going into battery.

I put it aside for a while, and recently got it out again.

Cleaned it good, and reviewed how I use it and decided the battery problem was operator error on my part. I'm a revolver man, and found I was riding the slide and that was causing it to not go into battery some times.

Cleaned up my act and now it's been reliable.

I'm used to DA revolver triggers and don't mind the original LC9 trigger.

I'll use it at the range for a while longer and perhaps put it on my carry permit at some point.

My suggestion is to just keep practicing until you are confident in it. There are lots of stories about gun malfunctions on the Internet, but most probably don't apply to your particular gun.

For my LC9 I read about dropping magazines and trigger reset problems, but have never had any.

I do! I polished the feed ramp the day I bought it and after a good cleaning and lubing with froglube, I took it to the range. 50 flawless rounds and it now rides in my pocket everyday. Sometimes its my primary, other times it's my backup, but it's always in my pocket.

I know some people won't carry a gun until it has 300-500 flawless rounds through it but I'm not one of them.

Slyk Willy

Single-Sixer
Can't answer about the "s" but my LC9 has been my EDC and has given outstanding performance since owning it. Well over 2K well-placed rounds and going strong. I have plenty of confidence in this firearm.

Okay, update... I went to the Range on Friday morning and went through 3 mags with my LC9s-pro.... not a hickup... and one mag was Georgia Arms Gold Dot hydro shocks.... at 20 feet no problem keeping 3-4" groups..... since it seems to work with all three mags and different types of 9mm and is smaller and lighter than my previous carry pistol a Sig 230 (.380 cal).... I'm going to keep it for carry....

Now with that said.... for me this handgun is not fun to shoot... way too much uncomfortable recoil... too small a a grip and actually hurts a little to shoot.... and so there is no way I'm going to go out and put a hundred or more rounds through it.... I suspect that in 5 or 8 years I will have maybe shot it a hundred times.

If I'm going to shoot 9mm for target practice give me a good old P95 or 89 any day.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Wimp! (Just kidding.)

The LC9s is way snappier than many small pistols, I'll give you that. I think the most I ever put through it in one session was right at about 150 rounds...mostly 115gr and 124gr WWB and UMC and thirty or so +P defensive rounds (Gold Dot and Federal HST 124gr)... my hand was a bit sore for a couple of days afterward. Not disablingly so, just sort of a dull ache. The LC9s is definitely not something you're going to shoot for fun, though.

I didn't realize how much snappier the LC9s was than other pistols until I got my Glock 26. I put almost 200 rounds through the Glock at the first good range session without really noticing...during or after. Of course, it's a bit heavier and has a much wider grip surface to absorb the recoil.

Still really liked the ease of carry of the LC9s, but i'm getting used to the Glock 26. Once I got a good IWB holster I realized that it's not THAT much harder to conceal than the LC9s. With the IWB holster I feel less like I'm carrying a 50BMG ammo case on my hip... LOL

John

BWright200

Bearcat
why would glock make a gun the same size as the 26 or 27? they already sell that.. Dig difference in how fat the handle is on those guns compared to the 36. IMO they wont because the 36 (And I own and carry it.) has lower sales then the 30 options which is kind of the situation that your asking glock to do with the 26 and a new 43.

but back to the ops question... I haven't shot the LC9s yet. Looks good for what it is... its in consideration with me for my next gun.

Tom W

Blackhawk
I looked at one at the range / LGS today. It fit right well into my pocket, but it was the not the pro model, and I really wanted to see that one. It felt a bit on the small side in my hands, but then I'm carrying and shooting a Glock mod. 30, so I can see where it will take a bit of getting used to. However, it seems just the ticket to carry concealed here in the humid south...

redflstfi

Bearcat
I do trust my LC9s-Pro as my edc piece. I carry/have carried a 1911 Commander, Ruger SR9c (really like the SR9c) and now the LC9s. I have large hands but a rather svelte body (5'11"/ 180 lbs.) and really like the small profile and mass (weight) of the LC9s. I put a Pachmyer grip sleeve on to increase the grip diameter slightly and the angled magazine extension with some skateboard tape for enhanced grip/traction. As with all carry weapons, I've spent a bit of range/practical experience to become consistently accurate and practically proficient with the LC9s. Ruger seems to have gotten this edition right.