Anyone see a Ruger AR platform pistol in our future?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
Given the AR pistol platform popularity, I'm surprised Ruger hasn't yet addressed the public's wish for such a handgun. And an arm brace system would be well-thought-of too while they are at it! Don.

My personal opinion is that we should not be antagonizing the ATF with this type of stuff while the hoopla over ammo bans is running rampant.

Yes, I know they have "clarified" their way out of it for now, but why push the matter while the great pretender is still in the White House and his so-called attorney general is still in place.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=219974

No sense poking the bear with a sharp stick when he's already pi$$ed off.

JMHO

Edited to add latest thead.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
It would be interesting to know how well those "AR pistols" are really selling. To me it's a useless device, neither pistol nor rifle and not very good at trying to be either. A super short barrel costs the .223 round most of it's attraction and the lack of a real stock coupled with the weight and size makes the thing very difficult to shoot with any real accuracy and "concealment" is a non-issue. The arm brace idea is just looking for an unfavorable NFA ruling.

Gizmo42

Single-Sixer
I could go the rest of my life without an AR pistol. I understand the reason for them, just a way for people to get around the tax stamp for an SBR. There is really no other reason for them to exist. Personally I think they are stupid.

6gun

Hunter
I have no desire to ever own one, there are so many AR makers already marketing AR's I wouldn't see it as a real smart business move for Ruger to add one to their line but who knows? :? personally I don't care one way or the other I'm never buying one due to lack of interest.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I don't own one but I don't like the idea of it being used as a reason to deny, outlaw an ammo that has been used by those in the shooting sports for years.
There is nothing more deadly, with a concern to defeating police body armor with this type of gun or that ammo than any other high powered round shot from a weapon that will allow that ammo to perforate standard and even improved armor being worn.
I've shot a friend's Sig with the SBR barrel and the "Sig Brace" making it a factory built pistol by the letter of the law but because it is a "pistol" it can't fire something deemed as "Armor Piercing" and there for causes the ammo to be outlawed.
These are weasel word laws and that is how we will be regulated, by weasel words.
No gun owner or 2nd amendment supporter should defend these laws as sensible because they are not.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
I have to join the chorus of those who consider the entire idea of an AR "pistol" as being rather silly. I'm not against others owning them, I just have absolutely no use for one and consider it possibly the most useless firearm ever built. If they are popular it is probably because too many people believe what they see in the movies and haven't the experience to choose weapons wisely...

They are fun to shoot. I have to just laugh at all the negative comments posted decrying them, by individuals who haven't even shot them enough to give them a chance, or I suspect, not at even all. Go shoot it before you b17ch about it.

Al James

Hunter
From a marketing standpoint it seems like a good time to introduce an AR pistol. The ATF has made more people than ever interested in AR pistols since the Sig Brace ruling and the XM855 BS. So the market is there more than ever IMO.

I personally like AR pistols but anything under a 10.5" barrel does not do it for me personally. An 11-12" barrel with a carbine length gas system underneath a free float rail makes for a nice handy little gun IMO. Not a huge increase in muzzle blast or loss of velocity when compared to a 14.5" M4 rifle configuration. They feel quite nimble and lightweight even though were only talking about a 2.5-4" difference in barrel length. Especially if you run just the buffer tube instead of one of the ATF's favorite Sig Braces. And they can flat out shoot too! Iv'e seen some amazing groups shot with an AR pistol, much better than I expected. Also, if Ruger decides to do a pistol I hope its based on the AR-556 DI gun instead of the piston SR-556.

All of that said, what would really make me smile is if Ruger were to start selling stripped lowers so I can build the gun I want but still have the fanboi rollmark. :oops:

dakota1911

Buckeye
I don't think I would buy one as there are too many other guns I would rather have, but have no idea if Ruger would make one or not. The certainly could of course. I guess if you reeeeeeely wanted one with the bird you could buy an AR-556 and change out parts.

Al James

Hunter
dakota1911 said:
I don't think I would buy one as there are too many other guns I would rather have, but have no idea if Ruger would make one or not. The certainly could of course. I guess if you reeeeeeely wanted one with the bird you could buy an AR-556 and change out parts.

Unfortunately, you can not turn a rifle into a pistol. Once it is assembled as a rifle any barrel length under 16" [or 14.5" with pinned muzzle device] would require a tax stamp. Easy to do but highly illegal and these NFA crimes come with some steep mandatory sentencing. There's also been some interesting ATF rulings regarding "constructive intent" so tread lightly.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
I thought this was what Thompson Contender VS the ATF was all about and TC won their case...

This has to do with the GCA '68 and a clause that says an ammunition capable of being fired in a "pistol" that is armor piercing shall be outlawed. The M885 Green Tip (SS109) was exempted by the ATF back in the 80's as not being truly armor piercing but general use.

....but they changed their mind a bit after these rather large for pistol guns were invented and sold to the public that were based on the AR platform, so they tried to ban the ammo outright for all users (rifle or pistol) of this surplus ammo. Like I said earlier, these are weasel word laws, that weasels use.

Mike J

Hunter
I'm not interested in an AR pistol & I think it is a little too much of a niche market for Ruger. I don't have anything against them or anyone having them & I would like to see certain firearms legislation repealed. I think it is time for the rkba movement to push for the repeal of these laws.

Al James

Hunter
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
I thought this was what Thompson Contender VS the ATF was all about and TC won their case...

https://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

Interesting read here, and yet another prime example of just how contorted our gun laws have become.

Al James

Hunter
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Says Thompon won.

It also says how they arrived at that decision. Original design and the "kit" concept is how the Thompson skirted the NFA laws.

So you can't disassemble an SR556, install a pistol buffer tube and pistol upper...

Or you can't disassemble a Ruger 10/22, install a charger stock and charger barrel...

It's still not defined SBR without a shoulder stock...