2nd time back to ruger for repair

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cankerman

Bearcat
the 1st time, the ones that fired were strong/deep and the ones that FTF (light strikes) were more like a dimple instead of of strike. they did however fire when cycled thru again, so no bad primers. the 2nd time the ones that fired were deep/strong and the ones that FTF were more than a dimple but not as strong as the ones that fired, again the FTFs were cycled thru and did fire

Wurger

Bearcat
OldePhart said:
Leucoandro said:
cankerman ,

I ask this because I found quiet a few pieces of metal in my striker channel from primers. It was causing light primer strikes in mine.

I think that it was primers from Federal factory ammunition that was causing the issues.

Charlie
This puzzles me...how could you get pieces of primer in the striker channel? Are you saying that the primers were being pierced by case pressure and pieces were blowing back through the firing hole? It seems more likely that the metal you found was debris from manufacturing...

I know a lot of people think Federal primers are soft...but the only time I've had even flattened primers (an obvious prerequisite to getting pierced primers, I would think) with factory ammo was with some Winchester "green" .357 magnum ammo.

When the P95 first came out, I picked up a new one for the huge sum of $254. All was going well until I started getting a few light primer strikes. Close examination showed that the primers were flowing back around the firing pin enough that the firing pin hole was shaving a rather small semicircle amount of primer metal off during the ejection cycle. These pieces of metal would then migrate back into the firing pin chanel and would cause the light strikes. It was sent back to ruger and the rep stated that the firing pin hole was incorrectly chamfered. They replaced the slide and it then ran like a champ.