2nd time back to ruger for repair

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mn_doggie

Bearcat
cankerman said:
the 1st time, the ones that fired were strong/deep and the ones that FTF (light strikes) were more like a dimple instead of of strike. they did however fire when cycled thru again, so no bad primers. the 2nd time the ones that fired were deep/strong and the ones that FTF were more than a dimple but not as strong as the ones that fired, again the FTFs were cycled thru and did fire

I'm surprised that no one has asked you which brand ammo you were using.

So I will. What brand ammo were you using when you got the light strikes?

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Holy catfish, @boray! I think that feed ramp is worse than the one on my LC9s before I polished it. Although, in the case of the LC9s the striations were horizontal across the ramp (kind of looked like a salmon ladder) which made wide-mouthed hollow points really unhappy.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Leucoandro said:
cankerman ,

I ask this because I found quiet a few pieces of metal in my striker channel from primers. It was causing light primer strikes in mine.

I think that it was primers from Federal factory ammunition that was causing the issues.

Charlie
This puzzles me...how could you get pieces of primer in the striker channel? Are you saying that the primers were being pierced by case pressure and pieces were blowing back through the firing hole? It seems more likely that the metal you found was debris from manufacturing...

I know a lot of people think Federal primers are soft...but the only time I've had even flattened primers (an obvious prerequisite to getting pierced primers, I would think) with factory ammo was with some Winchester "green" .357 magnum ammo.

boray

Bearcat
OldePhart said:
Holy catfish, @boray! I think that feed ramp is worse than the one on my LC9s before I polished it. Although, in the case of the LC9s the striations were horizontal across the ramp (kind of looked like a salmon ladder) which made wide-mouthed hollow points really unhappy.

Yeah that's something isn't it? I wonder if the extra money Ruger makes by eliminating quality control is offset by the shipping charges they pay to have customer's guns shipped back to where they never should have left in the first place. I fully expect they'll eventually just ship you a box of iron ore claiming it's a GP100 then when they pay for you to return it they'll have a poorly trained blacksmith pound it into a semi-functional revolver. It's about what they are already doing.

cankerman

Bearcat
mn_doggie said:
cankerman said:
the 1st time, the ones that fired were strong/deep and the ones that FTF (light strikes) were more like a dimple instead of of strike. they did however fire when cycled thru again, so no bad primers. the 2nd time the ones that fired were deep/strong and the ones that FTF were more than a dimple but not as strong as the ones that fired, again the FTFs were cycled thru and did fire

I'm surprised that no one has asked you which brand ammo you were using.

So I will. What brand ammo were you using when you got the light strikes?

Sorry about that should have included that in there from the start, the first time was Federal 185 grain fmj and the 2nd was winchester i believe they were 165 grain fmj. the ftf rate was similar and as stated when the FTFs were cycled thru the magazine again the did in fact go bang.
i figured i would change up the manufacturer the 2nd time just to eliminate the chance of a bad batch. didnt make a difference.

cankerman

Bearcat
Leucoandro said:
cankerman ,

What did you find when you cleaned the striker channel before contacting Ruger?

I ask this because I found quiet a few pieces of metal in my striker channel from primers. It was causing light primer strikes in mine.

I think that it was primers from Federal factory ammunition that was causing the issues.

Charlie

I did not clean it the 1st time before the range and the FTFs nor before i sent it back the 1st time.. Sorta feel this way about that, you dont and shouldnt have to take your new car engine apart and clean it before you start it up, to get any debris out of it, its NEW so why should i need to do that to a gun which has a lot less moving parts, maybe my quirkiness!!!!! this is the 1st handgun i have had any problem with and have always followed that montra.
the second range visit it had just came back from Rugers Prescott facility cleaned and oiled so i didnt feel the need to strip it and check for any debris.
Guess im just pigheaded or stubborn or whatever you want to call it but i just dont feel that you should have to do anything to a NEW handgun, car, TV or whatever before your use it, after all that is why i bought new and didnt buy a used one.

cankerman

Bearcat
OldePhart said:
Thanks @cankerman - the reason I asked is what you describe would indicate to me it is possibly a bit of manufacturing debris interfering with the movement of the striker, but not all the time. No guarantee of that...and obviously even if that is the case they should have found that at Ruger...but if you haven't already sent it back again you might want to do a detail strip (if you're comfortable doing so) and use some canned air and solvent to flush and blow out the striker channel.

I know my LC9s was kind of "messy" with manufacturing debris/gook when I got it. I think the Ruger is the only gun I've bought that really needed a good cleaning out of the box before the first range session (aside from the old surplus SKS I bought many years ago that was still packed in cosmoline). I always clean/inspect any new gun from ingrained habit but the Ruger was the first that I felt like it absolutely needed that bit of attention.

It sounds like they may have just followed a standard "customer reports light strikes" protocol of replacing spring and striker, for example, and then fired a couple of test shots and it went bang so they said, "fixed." I'm not prescient, so that's just a guess, but a fairly reasonable one and worth checking yourself before going another couple of weeks without the gun (unless you aren't comfortable doing a detail strip or, of course, if you've already sent it back again).

Of course, it could be a more serious issue like a sear engagement that is not quite right and sometimes allows the striker to release before being fully "cocked" so if you don't find something that is an obvious and clear fix send it back to Ruger for sure.

John
the report i got back from Ruger re their repairs the first time are these: says they replaced the magazine disconnect, slide stop assembly, striker assembly and striker blocker and repaired the barrel.
based on reading quite a bit on the internet looks like alot of the light strikes are remedied by removing the magazine d/c and getting a new (heavier duty) spring from Gallaway.
Just have a hard time justifying to myself about spending my own $$$$ to fix a Ruger problem.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
cankerman said:
the report i got back from Ruger re their repairs the first time are these: says they replaced the magazine disconnect, slide stop assembly, striker assembly and striker blocker and repaired the barrel.
based on reading quite a bit on the internet looks like alot of the light strikes are remedied by removing the magazine d/c and getting a new (heavier duty) spring from Gallaway.
Just have a hard time justifying to myself about spending my own $$$$ to fix a Ruger problem.
Agree with you a hundred percent on that last bit...

That litany of repairs sounds extremely weird for light strikes, though. Sounds like they replaced all those parts without even checking the most likely cause for intermittent light strikes (and I don't even see how those things would really even be expected to cause light strikes unless the gun is so sloppy that it will fire when not fully into battery). Well...okay...I could see if the chamber was reamed too deep...but that would call for a barrel replacement not a barrel repair.

Oh well...we can speculate all week but I guess we'll never know for sure. I hope it comes back fixed this time.

John

Rabon

Single-Sixer
boray said:
My observed failure rate is more along the lines of 66%. Last week I bought an All Weather American, a 9mm LRC and a 22/45 Lite. The American was ordered but I refused it because it looked like the holes for the scope mount had been started in one place then moved leaving a dimple in the top of the receiver. The 9mm LCR works but it is common knowledge that the front sight Ruger installs on these revolvers in this caliber is not the proper height. This particular example hits about 6" high at 7 yards! The 22/45 Lite jams constantly. Upon disassembly it was discovered that the feed ramp was apparently hacked out by a blind monkey with a dull hatchet. I've been a loyal Ruger customer for almost 40 years but I'm tired of making excuses for them and I've written multiple letters to them warning of alienating long time customers. This is what the feed ramp on the 22/45 looks like. Note the jagged semicircular gouge on the left side of the ramp and the deep striations up the center of the ramp.

2wr0ois.jpg
That picture says it all and it's the reason I moved away from Rugers offerings several years back.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
I guess I got lucky with my SR9 and LC9-S. Both have been flawless. Actually, I did have a few failure to chamber in some winchester white box ammo I was shooting. Like 4 rounds out of 200. Same 4 rounds everytime. They finally did chamber. I was so worried that I went home and grabbed 250 rounds of federalls and fired them off as quickly as I could pull the trigger. All functioned fine. No problems with my reloads in either gun, also.

The SR9 feels like it was meant for my hand and I am laser accurate with it, and the LC9-s is so easy to carry and with a great trigger. I had the original lc9 once and this s version is a big improvement.

I would like to learn how to take the striker assembly of the lc9 out for occasional cleaning. I can find videos on doing it to the sr9, but not the lc9.

cankerman

Bearcat
so got the Sr40c back from Ruger yesterday and looks like they did some trigger repair this time. replaced trigger assembly, trigger bar lift spring and trigger bar reset and the ejector. sounds like to me they're just replacing parts since the 1st time they replaced striker assembly, mag d/c, striker blocker, slide stop assembly and some sort of barrel repair.
says they shot 100 rounds of different types of ammo thru it with no FTFs.
going to the range on Monday, we shall see.

i also just removed the magazine disconnect as many on this and other boards have suggested. hopefully goes bang and not click. will report back with a range report.

freedomcosts

Single-Sixer
Good friend of mine just bought a new Glock- 17- ran into him at the UPS store today, it was on its way back for the 2nd time. Guns are precision machines, they have minor adjustments to be made sometimes. Had to send my 9c and my 9 back, but Ruger fixed em- gave me a new magazine- I'm a happy camper.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
cankerman said:
so got the Sr40c back from Ruger yesterday and looks like they did some trigger repair this time. replaced trigger assembly, trigger bar lift spring and trigger bar reset and the ejector. sounds like to me they're just replacing parts since the 1st time they replaced striker assembly, mag d/c, striker blocker, slide stop assembly and some sort of barrel repair.
says they shot 100 rounds of different types of ammo thru it with no FTFs.
going to the range on Monday, we shall see.

i also just removed the magazine disconnect as many on this and other boards have suggested. hopefully goes bang and not click. will report back with a range report.
So how did the range session go Monday?

It does sound like they're just throwing parts at it. Between the first trip and this one it sounds like they've replaced everything but the frame and slide.

cankerman

Bearcat
Sorry for the delay in reporting, the SO and I put 200 rounds thru it at the range with no FTFs with the same ammo as previously had FTFs. Wanted to shoot the same ammo to try to keep all the variables to a minimum.
certainly a step in the right direction. want to put a few hundred more thru it before i call it fixed but definitely :D :D :D

tcme64

Bearcat
I went to the range with my new SR40C. Fired 11 rounds and the slide got jammed back. And I mean jammed. Talked to Ruger and sent it back. I got it back very quick. Maybe 5 days?? Put 600 plus rounds through it without a hiccup. Very happy with their service with the exception nobody could tell me what happened?? What was done to fix it??? etc. Been nice to know what happened. I have many handguns and this is not the first one that had problems. It happens

langenc

Single-Sixer
cankerman said:
Well sent it back the other day via Fedex return label from Ruger, there is only one drop center in my area that (per Ruger) that accepts firearms as you are supposedly required to tell fedex it is a firearm per Ruger and Fedex.
Had quite the argument with a clerk and supervisor at Fedex who told me the gun needed to be disassembled (as they said per Fedexpolicy) or they would not take it, after about 40 minutes (no joke) and with the supervisor having to phone company security (hell thought she was calling them on me) they finally took it and has since been received by Ruger.
Time to play wait and see
Ask em to show you that in writing!!

I sent in a old Mark I that was having ejection problems and stovepoipes-2-3/mag of ammo. I was told the "barrel was lose" and I knew the ejector was also. 14 days and I rec it back and it still jambs on one mag. Otherwise it shoots like a new one. Spring is WEAK. Anyone w/ extra older style spring-pm me, thanks.

cankerman

Bearcat
Came back that night from fedex and went online and check their policies, says nothing about has to be taken apart/disassembled. Printed it out & hopefully wont have to send anything back but but am definitely taking it with me next time.

langenc

Single-Sixer
Take it apart to ship FEDEX--BS/.. The driver helped me pack my gun for shipping in the box he supplied. No mention of disassembly.. Someone on a power trip or making asome law they think would be good.

The only reason we have to use the 2 day is cause of FEDEX thieves.

I took one once to UPS terminal. their rules. Young kid working the counter wanted taken apart-"one piece missing," and I said yes. The one missing piece was the reason it was being shipped otherwise Id been like you.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
OldePhart said:
No-1 said:
Judging from all the "bought a new Ruger and it didn't work" threads, I think Ruger has closed their QC department because the bean counters said it'd be cheaper to deal with the mistakes.
Quite the contrary! Their QA department has undergone a massive expansion in the last few years...it now includes every single customer...
Good one! Thanks for the chuckle. :lol:

langenc

Single-Sixer
OldePhart said:
Hmmm, had a thought @cankerman - out of curiosity - when you examine the fired cases and the light-struck primers, are the dimples all about the same depth? Just wondering if all of the strikes are actually lighter than they should be...i.e. right at the bottom edge of strong enough...or if the strike strength is varying from shot to shot.

Doesn't make any practical difference to you...it needs to go back to Ruger until it is right...but the engineer in me is curious... :)

I guess this is a good question..

How do the fired ones compare to the unfired, as to depth of primer hit?? Could send Ruger some of each?? just not by USPS.....