First time at range P345D

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jskimerer

Bearcat
I recently did a trade for a P345D and took it to the range today. Went though close to hundred rounds. The first magazine I was all over the place but started to sight it in and am really impressed with the firearm. I always loaded it up then decock it for double action first shot, very long trigger pull on first shot had a hard time trying to figure out shot point.When in single action smooth as butter right in the first and second ring on the target. I guess I understand the safety factor on the long trigger pull on that first double action shot with no safety with this model, thats the way I'll carry it 8 + 1. A couple times the slide slammed shut when I inserted the magazine which concerned me some, don't know if it was something I done unknowingly or what, does anyone know if this model has a tenacity to do this? Had no FTF or any other isses.

loaded round

Hunter
I also own a P345D and regardless of what others said about it. it's one of my favorite pistols. After I cleaned the rear sight and put a two pound lighter trigger spring in it, it has become my nightstand pistol.

jskimerer

Bearcat
I'm definitely keeping this gun really like the way it handles and feels, great grip. One question when I field stripped, cleaned it when putting it back together I had a very hard time trying to figure out the larger end of the recoil spring I couldn't see any difference at all? I read on line that the larger end goes muzzle end but for the life of me they looked the same size. Any suggestions. Thanks.

loaded round

Hunter
I couldn't remember the disassembly procedure either, so I got my P345D out and took it apart. I found no difference installing the recoil spring either way and it functioned with the spring in both ways. I then pulled out my manual and there was no mention of the ''correct'' way to reinstall the spring. I must assume at this point that it makes no difference whatsoever.

welder

Buckeye
jskimerer said:
I'm definitely keeping this gun really like the way it handles and feels, great grip. One question when I field stripped, cleaned it when putting it back together I had a very hard time trying to figure out the larger end of the recoil spring I couldn't see any difference at all? I read on line that the larger end goes muzzle end but for the life of me they looked the same size. Any suggestions. Thanks.

I've had two P345's and read about the spring difference just after I got my first one a few years ago. There was no difference at all with it. I measured it, rolled it across a flat surface etc. The same, both ends.

This past month I bought my second one and sure enough on this version there is a big end and smaller end?? I believe Ruger must have used two springs on these guns as I have examples of each?

The first P345 I bought has no rail, the second does. Not that that should matter, just saying.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

jskimerer

Bearcat
Could be the early models had the same size recoil spring (mind is late 2006) then Ruger changed in the later models for some reason?

loaded round

Hunter
Just for kicks, I had my son disassemble his earlier P345 (not a decocker model) and check his pistol's recoil spring. He said it was the same on either end, just the same as my P345D. Just wanted to pass this information on.

Latest posts