P97 Ejector Isssues

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jlh

Bearcat
The ejector on my P97 "pops-up" during reassembly, locking the gun up, and requires "hooking" the ejector through the mag-well and pulling the ejector back down...The gun comes apart with no issues, whatsoever...This is the first time that I've had this sort of issues with any "P-Series" pistol......After multiple attempts, I can finally, reassemble the gun...'Very aggravating, to say the least...The ejector just won't stay down....'Anyone else had this problem?....Thanks in advance.

roylt

Hunter
It is probably the sear being higher than the frame when the ejector is folded down. When you pull the gun apart the slide is naturally pulled up slightly as you remove. When you put it back together the slide is naturally pushed down towards the frame and bumps the sear releasing the ejector. I have filed a few in my time but once you see what is happening you can assemble without bumping the sear most of the time.

jlh

Bearcat
That's the problem exactly, roylt....The sear is riding above the frame, and releases if I breathe on it...Reassembly is impossible, unless I pull the ejector down, through the mag-well, while reinstalling the slide...I hate to send it back to Ruger, if it's something that I can do myself...Suggestions??....Thanks.

roylt

Hunter
You can file that down to the same height of the frame. The 97 frame is plastic so it will file easier than the sear. Go slow and be carefull. The best way would be to remove it from the gun but that would mean you have to take several parts out of the frame. Ruger may do it for free. You could call and ask.

jlh

Bearcat
I called Ruger, and they will take care of it...no charge....I'm going to let them do it, since it's only a 5-day turnaround, they will take care of anything else that needs to be done....Thanks again for your help, roylt.

Al James

Hunter
jlh said:
I called Ruger, and they will take care of it...no charge....I'm going to let them do it, since it's only a 5-day turnaround, they will take care of anything else that needs to be done....Thanks again for your help, roylt.

Nice! Let us know how Ruger does and what they replace! I hope you get it back.... :)

jlh

Bearcat
I will, Al James...I think if I run into this issue again, I'll file the sear, myself, just to the point where it doesn't "trip the ejector."...If I field-strip the gun, and file the top of the sear while the ejector in the "up" position, this would make the sear much easier to work-on, without possible file-damage to the frame.....roylt had indicated that he had done these before....I don't know what, if any changes, it would make in the trigger mechanism, or if I would be creating an unsafe trigger.....Could someone offer advice here....Thanks, in advance.

roylt

Hunter
I filed it when it was folded down too so I could see the relationship to the frame. I also didn't want the remove any "height" when it was flipped up because this could effect how it works with the fire pin block.

jlh

Bearcat
You're right, roylt...I had wondered about that...I gave the gun to my FFL yesterday to ship to Ruger...My guess is that they will do what you describe, and send back to my FFL...Probably a five-minute-fix for them...'Cost me about $30 for my FFL to handle...What type of file did you use? Thanks.

roylt

Hunter
I'm no smith so basically my work is with what I have. Just a small three sided file.

Why did you use a FFL? Ruger should have given you a sticker for your box. And because it is your gun they will mail it right back to you. I would ask your FFL what you got for your 30 bucks and then find another FFL.

tercel89

Single-Sixer
I have this problem it seems on all my P-series pistols. The darn ejector ops up and BAM it's all locked up ! I got to where I have found out a dental pick will reach up in the magazine well and pull the ejector back down .

jlh

Bearcat
They're great pistols, tercel 89, except for this annoyance. I've had other Rugers do this, but my P97 would require that they ejector be held-down during assembly. I was hopeful Ruger would pay for return shipping, as roylt had indicated, but was told "up-front," that I was responsible for shipping...In the future, I'll probably just file the sear, myself......That's probably all Ruger will do, anyway.......I can reassemble several Glocks, in the time it takes to reassemble one-Ruger, given this annoying feature.

roylt

Hunter
A ruger is no glock for sure. I have both as well. The rugers have more appeal to me. I guess because I have changed small things to make them more my own. Where the glocks are just what they are, good tools.