LCP vs LC9 Feel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buckeyedave

Bearcat
I was at a LGS with a friend and I started talking to one of the clerks about how the LCP kicks like a mule when shooting it. He said he has shot the LCP and LC9 and the 9 has a softer feel. Could this be true even though it's a larger caliber?

I know feel can be subjective but does anyone have experience with both?

Thanks
Dave

groberts

Single-Sixer
Chuckhawks had an article on the LCP vs LC9 felt recoil. The LCP definitely FELT like it kicked harder. That's because it is so light. The LC380 is a much, much better pistol.

hittman

Staff member
LCP clearly punishes your hand with more recoil. LC9 is a breeze. Shoot it all day long.

I guess it really is subjective, but I find my LC9s is a lot easier and more comfortable to shoot well than my LCP. My LCP has a Crimson Trace laser, without which I found I was shooting very inaccurately with this tiny gun without real sights, even at close in distances like 5 yards. Using the larger LC9s I did not feel the need for a laser sight and between the slightly larger capacity and larger caliber I much prefer the LC9s as a daily carry. But nothing beats the LCP for when you are wearing lightweight clothing or a suit or other clothes where concealment of a firearm is challenging (using an inexpensive pocket holster, the LCP doesn't seem much heavier or bulkier than a smart phone in your pocket). And with some of the newer ammo, such as from High Precision, the 380 round is quite powerful (and even less fun to practice with!).

loaded round

Hunter
I agree 100% with you sir.

vito said:
I guess it really is subjective, but I find my LC9s is a lot easier and more comfortable to shoot well than my LCP. My LCP has a Crimson Trace laser, without which I found I was shooting very inaccurately with this tiny gun without real sights, even at close in distances like 5 yards. Using the larger LC9s I did not feel the need for a laser sight and between the slightly larger capacity and larger caliber I much prefer the LC9s as a daily carry. But nothing beats the LCP for when you are wearing lightweight clothing or a suit or other clothes where concealment of a firearm is challenging (using an inexpensive pocket holster, the LCP doesn't seem much heavier or bulkier than a smart phone in your pocket). And with some of the newer ammo, such as from High Precision, the 380 round is quite powerful (and even less fun to practice with!).

mn_doggie

Bearcat
loaded round said:
I have both and I can definitely state that the LC9 DOES kick more than the LCP.

I disagree. While there is more ME, I have fewer issues with the LC9.

I quit shooting my LCP after about 4 mag (25 rounds or so) but can comfortably run a couple of hundred rounds thru my LC9s.

The LC9 has significantly more handgrip area and firearm weight to temper the 70% more energy of the 9mm round.