Tactical Laser

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jskimerer

Bearcat
Has anyone brought the tactical laser advertised on ebay for the SR series P345 p95, etc. It's listed for 19.99 plus shipping. I know the old saying you get what you pay for but for this price I thought I might give it a try unless someone has some horror stories. Thanks.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
heh, heh...I guess on the plus side $20 bucks ain't even a tank of gas so it's not like you're losing the farm...

I can tell you though that just the diode used in a good laser sight costs more than $20.

Even though my vision is declining I've resisted buying a laser sight because studies show that while it significantly improves most shooter's performance...if you then take the laser away from them their performance is degraded below what it was before they started using a laser. Given that bit of statistics I'd really question the wisdom of becoming even a little reliant on a $20 laser sight because even if it performs well (unlikely) I would be highly skeptical of its reliability...

If you do decide to get this thing take lots of pictures of it in use and keep us up to date, though...

John

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I just wanted to encourage you not to mount the laser. I did this myself, I went beyond just sticking it on and actually practiced a great deal with it. I no longer use them as the results where not at all what I had hoped. I get it why people do this, on paper it seems like the ultimate solution, it looks amazing, and there is an undeniable "cool" factor about them.

Without writing a book about it, my shooting suffered not so much in accuracy but in speed. I found myself constantly "fishing" for the dot which is not very visible in some lighting conditions and almost disappears on black backgrounds, such as a black tshirt or coat ect. I used it as a crutch, once you stop working sight picture as a basic fundamental of shooting the others tend to fall away shortly after. At least that was my experience. There's a temptation to think that hold doesn't need to be as solid, trigger break not as clean ect. Because the laser is the primary means of hitting, or that tends to be the mental idea it leaves you with.

Just my opinion, I'm speaking only of pistols you may carry or actually use home gun, car gun, ect. As I said they are cool and make a great toy if ya want one on a range gun. I'd have loved to have kept mine, but those where my results.